The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannah123.
Does the UEA have wifi across their campus? I don't mean in the halls

Yes they do although certainly when I was last there in 2015 it wasn't always 100% reliable.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by jelly1000
Yes they do although certainly when I was last there in 2015 it wasn't always 100% reliable.

Thanks
Is there an example Law LLB timetable for first year at the UEA that I can look at?
Original post by hannah123.
Is there an example Law LLB timetable for first year at the UEA that I can look at?

I'd also be pretty keen to see this.

I would also like to know how strict attendance requirements are? I am an incoming exchange student and I'd like to do a bit of travelling around while I'm in the UK.

I don't have any set plans yet, but I'd like to know if I'd get away with missing maybe a Friday and a Monday to take an extended weekend trip?
I just missed the Open Day but thinking of visiting next week. Have most of the students disappeared already and shall I go on a different date, when term again starts? I don't want to go into a ghost town..
Does the university see Travel and Tourism as a weak subject and could it affect the chance of me getting an offer?
Original post by IKEAPanda37
Does the university see Travel and Tourism as a weak subject and could it affect the chance of me getting an offer?

We always specify if a particular subject is required to meet the entry requirements, and similarly we state if a subject isn’t accepted (general studies/critical thinking, for example) so if it’s not mentioned on the website as not being accepted, then it would be considered. Please read the entry requirements of the course very carefully.

Generally it’s the grades that we’re looking for rather than the subject, however I would suggest you email in further details (including the subjects you're studying) and identify the course you are interested in, with predicted grades so we can answer much more accurately.
Original post by meaow1990
I just missed the Open Day but thinking of visiting next week. Have most of the students disappeared already and shall I go on a different date, when term again starts? I don't want to go into a ghost town..

there's a high chance it'll be empty aside from healthcare courses.

Many courses finished at the start of June and term starts again late September :h:*
Original post by NoImSparticus
I'd also be pretty keen to see this.

I would also like to know how strict attendance requirements are? I am an incoming exchange student and I'd like to do a bit of travelling around while I'm in the UK.

I don't have any set plans yet, but I'd like to know if I'd get away with missing maybe a Friday and a Monday to take an extended weekend trip?

Last year I had a housemate who did law and she seemed to get away with missing lectures. With seminars, if my department (Politics) was anything to go by then it would vary according to the seminar tutor, your absence would be noted and some would send an angry email asking where you were, others wouldn't. *Also with law there aren't many contact hours so you may find you have one or two days a week off anyway. You'll also have 3 weeks to month holiday at christmas, 3 weeks at easter and finish for the summer by the start of June plus possibly two reading weeks too, so plenty of other time to travel.*

Original post by lilGem
there's a high chance it'll be empty aside from healthcare courses.

Many courses finished at the start of June and term starts again late September :h:*

Would you recommend still going next week? My railcard is expiring soon and the next open day is in only in September!
I wanted to see the Env Science department.. but I guess it's all closed? :frown: What do you reckon?

Yeah, I feel so silly, been researching UEA for my Masters for a while and I didn't bother looking for the Open Days.. are you thinking of doing a BA or MA? How did you find it?

Is UEA diverse? I know it's located just outside a small town, so I don't think it's as diverse as other major cities are, but I might find it quite dull.. with diversity, I don't count the other usual majority of chinese international students..
Would you recommend still going next week? My railcard is expiring soon and the next open day is in only in September!
I wanted to see the Env Science department.. but I guess it's all closed? :frown: What do you reckon?

Yeah, I feel so silly, been researching UEA for my Masters for a while and I didn't bother looking for the Open Days.. are you thinking of doing a BA or MA? How did you find it?

Is UEA diverse? I know it's located just outside a small town, so I don't think it's as diverse as other major cities are, but I might find it quite dull.. with diversity, I don't count the other usual majority of chinese international students..

Norwich is a a city, just a smaller one. It's still bigger than, for example, Cambridge. The uni itself, although near the edge of the city on the side it's on, isn't too far from the city centre. Theres lots of stuff to do, especially pubs, restaurants and cultural things. There are also plenty of societies and sports clubs in the student union. It's mainly if you're used to a wide selection of nightclubs that you might find it quieter as Norwich really doesn't have many of those (though I found the student union's own club was more than adequate for most nights out).

I find it a diverse place yes. The university motto is "Do Different" and the city is very forward thinking and welcoming to all types of people :smile:

Oh, and if you have the money and time to go next week I'd say do it. You'll still get a feel for the place and the city. You might even be able to get a tour or look inside the ENV department (it won't be closed, researchers still work at this time of year), just contact UEA and ask them
about it.

If you can only afford to go to one however, September would obviously give a better overview of what it's like when thriving and full of students.
(edited 7 years ago)

It's not as diverse as Birmingham or London no, but there are still a fair few non white faces in town. On campus in my last two years there I noticed a growing number of non white faces aside from the Chinese.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you for your replies! With 'diverse' I didn't particularly mean 'non-white faces' but rather non-English people, i.e. from Scotland, Europe, America, Australia, Asia.. so white people included :smile:

May I ask what you both study?

I would have to work part-time alongside my studies to pay for rent and other expenses... do you think that's manageable? How much does a room in shared accommodation (I probably wouldn't stay on campus) cost on average? I checked out spareroom but it's always good to know the median average..!
Thank you for your replies! With 'diverse' I didn't particularly mean 'non-white faces' but rather non-English people, i.e. from Scotland, Europe, America, Australia, Asia.. so white people included :smile:

I would have to work part-time alongside my studies to pay for rent and other expenses... do you think that's manageable? How much does a room in shared accommodation (I probably wouldn't stay on campus) cost on average? I checked out spareroom but it's always good to know the median average..!

I studied maths and then did a Primary PGCE. That was like 3 year ago now though (scary). But I stayed in Norwich til last year and still visited the uni. I also have several friends studying or working there now.

I'll let someone else give a more current average rent, but generally rent is reasonable in Norwich.

Posted from TSR Mobile

in terms of average rent (it will vary if it includes bills or not) is about 250-320 or thereabouts and if you go through a letting agency too there will be additional costs :smile:

I studied International Relations BA then did an MA in International Public Policy, finished nearly a year ago now. Postgrad is a bit more diverse than just English/Chinese on some courses, for my main modules I had people from Brazil, Kazkhstan, Thailand, Vietnam and for a development module I took there were quite a few students from more developing nations in Africa as well as quite a few Japanese students. Media seemed to be almost all Chinese though, so it really does vary by course.

Rent wise I paid around £300 a month for a shared room for all 3 years I lived off campus. I'm not sure if you could raise the whole amount of rent + expenses by working but you could certainly raise some of it- I know of a fair few postgrads who had part time jobs, in places varying from WH Smith to Pizza Hut. The uni careers centre can help you apply for jobs if you are struggling with the applications.

How unreliable are we talking? The wifi at the school I just left wasn't great and the email system would often not work and I basically got myself through school telling myself that the wifi at university would be better haha
there's a pre-departure information session I might miss and I was wondering how it will affect me? What is usually said at these sessions and will i fall out of loop in terms of socializing before i even get to uni :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CathyHeathcliff
How unreliable are we talking? The wifi at the school I just left wasn't great and the email system would often not work and I basically got myself through school telling myself that the wifi at university would be better haha

Its tempremental- sometimes it works well, other times it tries to disconnect you all the time. The wired connection via pcs on campus is very reliable though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Its tempremental- sometimes it works well, other times it tries to disconnect you all the time. The wired connection via pcs on campus is very reliable though.

Not too bad then hopefully, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending