The Student Room Group

grammar school? Is it right for me?

i am going to be doing my a-levels after the summer holiday but i am not sure if i should go to a grammar school or just a normal sixth form college. i have applied in both and got an offer in both of them.

What do you recommend? Anyone went to grammar school?How was it?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mediaya
i am going to be doing my a-levels after the summer holiday but i am not sure if i should go to a grammar school or just a normal sixth form college. i have applied in both and got an offer in both of them.

I'm gonna be going to a grammar school too, and I'm just as curious and nervous :frown: :redface:

Edit: I wouldn't go to a college, its too independent for me, I'm too irresponsible :redface:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mediaya

Aw so sorry I lived in France my whole life, can't relate with any of it \:
Original post by hamza772000
I'm gonna be going to a grammar school too, and I'm just as curious and nervous :frown: :redface:

Spoiler

oooh really, i didn't know that:wink:
you are everywhere aren't you?:colone:
i dont mind, let's say we are 2 that want an answer:biggrin:
Original post by mediaya
oooh really, i didn't know that:wink:
you are everywhere aren't you?:colone:
i dont mind, let's say we are 2 that want an answer:biggrin:
Lol, yeah, I want an answer :tongue:
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Aw so sorry I lived in France my whole life, can't relate with any of it \:

i know but i don't know why i tagged you :s-smilie:

Spoiler

Original post by mediaya
i know but i don't know why i tagged you :s-smilie:

Spoiler

Hahaha :' ) it's more about memory and behaviour, not about knowing everything :lol: Sorry that I can't help tho \:
Reply 7
Look, I was in a similar situation last year and ended up going to the Grammar Sixth Form, and I hate it so much, it's not my type of school, it's quite a independent and well behaved place, in general I'm not used to so much, and still am not. I also go to all girls grammar, although there are links to the boys school I don't think it's the same. But if you think it's right for you, go there and have fun, make friends and try to enjoy it more than me 😉

Anymore questions feel free to ask
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol, yeah, I want an answer :tongue:

i had 'transition sessions' at the grammar school i want to go (these are basically like a day of lesson to get prepared), and seriously i went in there and felt so weird, i felt like 'crap' in between all these clever students, the teacher expected you to know everything (like ur not meant to know anything about further additional science to do alevel chemistry but they just expected you to know :redface:).this day's experience made me want to refuse the offer
the next day was a maths lesson, and that went much better, i made alot of friends (i guess it's easier to make friends there coz they are all clever, nice and sympathetic). the teacher's explained everything to you eventhough we knew it, they were also a bit fun (which is what i am used to, i laugh with teacher's alot and that's how i learn so this day's experience made me want to go there.

tommorow, i am going for a 'find ur feet day' at the sixth form college.....

so yh that what i experienced so far....
(edited 7 years ago)
If you can get entrance to a grammar school, go to the grammar school. It'll almost certainly benefit you and is unlikely to harm you at worst.
Having just graduated from one, if it is single sex no.
I went to MGS which is an independent boys' school in the NW.

I found it to be quite a challenging environment (academically) but the quality of teaching is exemplary and students there are constantly pushed and given the support that they need in order to realise their full potential. It's also very disciplined, which is something that I didn't mind so much. :tongue:

If you have a clear idea of what you want to achieve and are determined to work hard, then I say go for it :biggrin:

Normal sixth form colleges are probably more relaxed. :yep:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mediaya
i had 'transition sessions' at the grammar school i want to go (these are basically like a day of lesson to get prepared), and seriously i went in there and felt so weird, i felt like 'crap' in between all these clever students, the teacher expected you to know everything (like ur not meant to know anything about further additional science to do alevel chemistry but they just expected you to know :redface:).this day's experience made me want to refuse the offer
the next day was a maths lesson, and that went much better, i made alot of friends (i guess it's easier to make friends there coz they are all clever, nice and sympathetic). this day's experience made me want to go.

tommorow, i am going for a 'find ur feet day' at the sixth form college.....

so yh that what i experienced so far....
The reason why I wanna go is coz as you said the people are nice sophisticated, civilized and well mannered, I've had enough of having f***boy friends, who'll waste mine and their time.

And I know their expectations are high but for me that's not as bad as being around poeple who don't wanna learn, ygm?

And for me all the other surrounding schools and colleges are absolute dogsh*t, so whether I like it or not, I guess I'mma have to go.

But you're situation's different, I guess......
Original post by Nimrahk123
Look, I was in a similar situation last year and ended up going to the Grammar Sixth Form, and I hate it so much, it's not my type of school, it's quite a independent and well behaved place, in general I'm not used to so much, and still am not. I also go to all girls grammar, although there are links to the boys school I don't think it's the same. But if you think it's right for you, go there and have fun, make friends and try to enjoy it more than me 😉

thankyou very much, that was really helpful
i don't like being quiet to much either, i more of a person that enjoys talking to people and even teachers as said earlier
Original post by mediaya

I would say it depends on two main things: what you want to do after sixth form and what type of post 16 experience you want.

I went to grammar sixth and it was without doubt the best decision I ever made. I felt more focused and the guidance in terms of support to be excellent. They had a strong number of students successfully being offered places on the course I wanted to apply for which also influenced my decision. It was pretty much like school in how we were taught and at some points being spoon fed. We had to wear suits and was very formal. I personally did not mind this since I was more likely to be on top of my work and the teachers would not allow you to fall behind. College is more relaxed in nature and your going to notice the focus on independent learning slightly more in comparison. I would say it depends on what type of learner you are also. Hope this kind of helps and you make the right decision for you.
Original post by mediaya
thankyou very much, that was really helpful
i don't like being quiet to much either, i more of a person that enjoys talking to people and even teachers as said earlier

No worries, everyone has different experiences at Grammar though, I am used to talking and messing around and learning that way, i wasn't particularly prepared for the seriousness at the grammar school, I would only really recommend it to people who went to the high school. Know a lot of others who go there, or are serious learners and are less to do with fun and more about concentration.

Just go where you want to

Do you think you would've had a better if your school was mixed? Mine's mixed
Do you think you would've had a better if your school was mixed? Mine's mixed

I think for me yes, I enjoy the company of males as find they're less serious in school and what they do , I'm not sure though, as the interaction with the boys grammar is still there, just in school we don't have many situations where we're mixed.
I think for me yes, I enjoy the company of males as find they're less serious in school and what they do , I'm not sure though, as the interaction with the boys grammar is still there, just in school we don't have many situations where we're mixed.
I guess there is a bit of personal preference involved then.

But for me, its either I go to that school or I just go to a f***ed up school, with f***ed up people, which I'd rather not do, so everyone's in a different situation I guess.
I guess there is a bit of personal preference involved then.

But for me, its either I go to that school or I just go to a f***ed up school, with f***ed up people, which I'd rather not do, so everyone's in a different situation I guess.

I guess so, for me I didn't go to the high school and only went to the Grammar as my parents gave me a ultimatum, if I have the choice though, I wouldn't have gone as isn't my type of social hangout. But I think you're right, it is just personal preference

Quick Reply

Latest