The Student Room Group

People who supported Brexit - do you feel conned?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
No. Remainers, do you feel conned that:

1. The 3,000,000 job losses was found out to be a lie
2. The families being £4,300 worse off was found out to be a lie
3. The emergency budget turned in to a lie (and was criticised by Lord King today as being the nadir of the campaign)

No?

There were lies on both sides.
As far as I can see, Boris Johnson vocally supported and ended up leading the EU campaign purely to distinguish himself from David Cameron, have an agenda to support that would get the public behind him personally, and pave his way into No. 10.

I find it highly unlikely that he ever genuinely thought we were better off leaving the EU, and has found himself in a real pickle now that he's unwittingly found himself on the winning side. Like many Brexit voters, all he wanted to do is shake up the establishment and raise his overall voice and profile, not to actually go through with it.

That's why he seems awfully subdued for someone who has just won a campaign, and his statements are now more focused on damage control than about how great a decision the country has made. In particular, forms of damage control that directly contradict what Brexiters voted for.

The thing is, common sense dictates so strongly that we are better off remaining in the EU that almost nobody, neither on the Leave nor Remain side, would have ever believed that the Leave voters would actually win. For the public, the bookmakers and the financial markets, this just as much of a shock as Leicester City winning the Premier League, and I think Johnson and Farage are no less surprised.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TercioOfParma

That image looks as though it was made before the referendum result was confirmed.
Are you sure about that mate? You may want to do some more reading, I know I spent days researching before I voted leave.

So what did you do to prepare?
Original post by Samiz

3. The emergency budget turned in to a lie (and was criticised by Lord King today as being the nadir of the campaign)

No?

Well we haven't actually left the EU yet. So I'd doubt that those things will have happened.

I think that when Article 50 is triggered and we get a better idea of what deal the EU will give us, then we will feel the effects more severely.

But, already - with just the referendum result, we are seeing bad things happen. So no, I don't feel conned. I always thought that this result would end up being a total bloody nightmare.
Original post by tazarooni89
As far as I can see, Boris Johnson vocally supported and ended up leading the EU campaign purely to distinguish himself from David Cameron, have an agenda to support that would get the public behind him personally, and pave his way into No. 10.

I find it highly unlikely that he ever genuinely thought we were better off leaving the EU, and has found himself in a real pickle now that he's unwittingly found himself on the winning side. Like many Brexit voters, all he wanted to do is shake up the establishment and raise his overall voice and profile, not to actually go through with it.

That's why he seems awfully subdued for someone who has just won a campaign, and his statements are now more focused on damage control than about how great a decision the country has made. In particular, forms of damage control that directly contradict what Brexiters voted for.

This exactly really.

If it wasn't for all the awful things that have happened because of the referendum result, it would all be very funny indeed!
Original post by Samiz

No?

Where did Osbourne say there were going to be 3 million in job losses?
Original post by InnerTemple
Yes, I'm positive.

Alright then, let's go through each of the things that Mr Garrison points out

"Globalists" Next to two men missing the British ship : Well, the UK left the EU, so that's accurate

"political correctness" as a shark, Sweden going into it : Sweden is enslaved by political correctness, the situation is so bad that rapes by migrants are a regular occurence, and politicians literally cry when they cannot allow any more "ethnic" immigrants in.

"Brussels bureaucrats" next to a clown controlling the ship: The bureaucrats are literally controlling the EU, which is the ship. They have done a shameful job, look at Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and others

"Taxes" : The £350 million a week

"Debt" : See bureaucrats

"Greece" with a man vomiting : Pretty self-explanatory

"Regulations" : Even though the Brexit movie exaggerated the amount, there are a huge amount of regulations in the EU, to the point where it is starting to strange small business

"Waves of immigration" and Merkel demanding the ship to ride towards the waves: Should be pretty self-explanatory

"Economic Failure" : Look at half the countries in the EU to see this

Britain sailing away : We left, thus dodging a lot of the issues.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
So what did you do to prepare?

What, do you want a list of sources?

Original post by tazarooni89
That image looks as though it was made before the referendum result was confirmed.

It was.
Reply 69
Original post by InnerTemple
Well we haven't actually left the EU yet. So I'd doubt that those things will have happened.

I think that when Article 50 is triggered and we get a better idea of what deal the EU will give us, then we will feel the effects more severely.

But, already - with just the referendum result, we are seeing bad things happen. So no, I don't feel conned. I always thought that this result would end up being a total bloody nightmare.

Doesn't matter if we've left or not, the first 2 got debunked during the campaign by fact/reality check (as did the £350m figure as misleading) and the 3rd one got debunked today ironically by the chancellor himself. So there you have it, 3 of the many lies from the remain campaign - there were lies on both sides, simple as that. It doesn't make it any more acceptable but you cannot call out one campaign for lying and ignore the other.

We're seeing short term economic instability which was completely expected following a leave vote and added to by investors and traders naively banking on a remain vote.
Nigel farages face annoys me
What, do you want a list of sources?

I don't want sources.

I wanted to know what you did because of your research.

Unless, you are saying that you did nothing other than vote leave
Reply 72
Conned???!!!

I am still celebrating!
No, because I voted for reasons not plastered on the side of a bus.

PRSOM. :biggrin:

Original post by Shabalala
Nobody expected things to change only 5 days after the referendum you patronizing moron, get off your high horse, it was obvious to everyone with a brain that if we voted to leave it would result in short term financial instability and market chaos, it was fully expected. Most people who voted Leave however (the intelligent ones anyway) voted leave with the hope that in the future it will result in a better Britain, short term pain for long term gain.

I voted Remain in the end but I think Britain is fully capable of thriving outside of the EU it all depends on which way the future government take us forward, as to whever we will be better off in the long term outside of the EU.

I feel conned because there was no World War 3.
(edited 7 years ago)
Are you sure about that mate? You may want to do some more reading, I know I spent days researching before I voted leave.

Days! Jesus wept
Alright then, let's go through each of the things that Mr Garrison points out

"Brussels bureaucrats" next to a clown controlling the ship: The bureaucrats are literally controlling the EU, which is the ship. They have done a shameful job, look at Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and others

"Taxes" : The £350 million a week

"Regulations" : Even though the Brexit movie exaggerated the amount, there are a huge amount of regulations in the EU, to the point where it is starting to strange small business

"Waves of immigration" and Merkel demanding the ship to ride towards the waves: Should be pretty self-explanatory

Haha! Oh! I thought you were saying that you'd done serious research on the effects of leaving. Turns out you'd just looked at a picture.

Just to mention some of the points - the ones I've left in the quote above. It doesn't look like we'd 'dodged' or 'escaped' or 'sailed away' from any of these. If your 'days or researching' told you otherwise... well, I'm sorry you wasted your time!
Original post by Samiz
Doesn't matter if we've left or not, the first 2 got debunked during the campaign by fact/reality check (as did the £350m figure as misleading) and the 3rd one got debunked today ironically by the chancellor himself. So there you have it, 3 of the many lies from the remain campaign - there were lies on both sides, simple as that. It doesn't make it any more acceptable but you cannot call out one campaign for lying and ignore the other.

We're seeing short term economic instability which was completely expected following a leave vote and added to by investors and traders naively banking on a remain vote.

The first one wasn't debunked because he didn't say that.

Cameron said 3 million jobs were linked to the EU.

Cameron didn't say that 3 million jobs would be lost.
Original post by DorianGrayism
I don't want sources.

I wanted to know what you did because of your research.

Unless, you are saying that you did nothing other than vote leave

I didn't do anything besides voting leave no.
It was.

So then it's really more of an (obviously successful) attempt to get people to Vote Leave, rather than an accurate depiction of what has happened since.
Original post by Samiz

How long does the currently instability have to continue before it is no longer "short term"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending