The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Anyone applied for the MSc Physician Associate course?

Hey,

So I recently saw that Brunel are doing a new MSc PA course starting this year. Has anyone else applied or heard back yet?

Thanks
Hi Lana,

Hope you're well, I too saw the ad and have applied still waiting on my references though.

How's it going with you?
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Hey guys

I've applied for the physician associate course at Brunel and got invited to a selection day which is this Friday.

I'm really nervous but hopefully it will go well.
Reply 3
Hey,

I had my interview last Friday and am now waiting to hear. :biggrin: I really liked their course structure and the hospital placements sound good.

Good luck with your interview and let us know how it goes for you.

Lana
Hey Lana,

Thanks, I think I'll be needing all the luck I can get for my interview on Friday! Yes, I agree with you after looking at Brunel's website the Physician Associate course sounds really exciting, considering that this is the first year they are launching the course.

Care to give any hints on what to expect for the interview? The email only mentioned a selection day, although I do know that their will be a literacy and maths test, multiple mini interviews and a panel interview. Any advice will be much appreciated :smile:

By the way, are you going to be watching the Physician Associate webinar? It's on this Thursday 5-6pm.

Good luck with your application!!
Reply 5
Hey,

I'm sure you will do just fine, they were super friendly and welcoming when I had my interview. You have so much more information about what to expect already. Where did you find out about the numeracy-literacy test and MMI? I didn't know about those things until I got there so you already have an advantage.
I did sign up to the webinar. See you there.
Do let us know how it goes for you.

Lana

Original post by Dreamer1994
Hey Lana,

Thanks, I think I'll be needing all the luck I can get for my interview on Friday! Yes, I agree with you after looking at Brunel's website the Physician Associate course sounds really exciting, considering that this is the first year they are launching the course.

Care to give any hints on what to expect for the interview? The email only mentioned a selection day, although I do know that their will be a literacy and maths test, multiple mini interviews and a panel interview. Any advice will be much appreciated :smile:

By the way, are you going to be watching the Physician Associate webinar? It's on this Thursday 5-6pm.

Good luck with your application!!
Hi!

I emailed Dr David Leonard asking if he could let me know what to expect from the selection day and he replied about all of the above.
Hopefully the day will be just fine. At this point I think the only thing I am really dreading is the maths test. Are the maths questions only dosage/medication calculations or are there other questions as well??
Will let you guys know how it goes.
Reply 7
I would just google some numeracy tests and practice a couple of those. I don't know if you will have the same exact one as I did, but just practice a variety of questions. For the MMI try to look up some scenarios and practice those with a friend, that really helped me. You usually have 2 minutes to read the text/scenario and then 6 minutes to talk either about a topic or take part in a role-play.

Overall I would say they are very friendly and the whole process felt quite natural.

Hi!

I emailed Dr David Leonard asking if he could let me know what to expect from the selection day and he replied about all of the above.
Hopefully the day will be just fine. At this point I think the only thing I am really dreading is the maths test. Are the maths questions only dosage/medication calculations or are there other questions as well??
Will let you guys know how it goes.
Reply 8
hi guys i am attending the course this Sept at Brunel. Tuesday 30th Aug introduction, Wednesday 31st Registration.interview was relaxed. you see presentation on Development of PA roles, do two role plays, and literacy essay on patient feedback and numeracy on drug calculation. when revising just think about NHS compassionate care (6C's) and Information Governance. anything else let me knowAll the best.See you in Sept.
Original post by raf25
hi guys i am attending the course this Sept at Brunel. Tuesday 30th Aug introduction, Wednesday 31st Registration.interview was relaxed. you see presentation on Development of PA roles, do two role plays, and literacy essay on patient feedback and numeracy on drug calculation. when revising just think about NHS compassionate care (6C's) and Information Governance. anything else let me knowAll the best.See you in Sept.

hey i've got my interview coming up soon any other tips and how long did the interview last?

Many thanks!!
Original post by samosa246
hey i've got my interview coming up soon any other tips and how long did the interview last?

Many thanks!!

Hey,

I had my interview about a week ago and I found it okay on the whole.

I had to first complete a short maths test. You only get about 30 mins to complete the test and your timed. The questions in the maths test were all about dosage/medication questions, and there were also some conversion questions e.g. convert 10mg into mcg etc. You can't use a calculator by the way!!

Then I had to complete a prioritisation test whereby I was given a scenario and then had to rank each response in the order that I would prioritise it e.g. 1 (first thing I would do) and 5 (last thing I would do).

Then after that, I had my interview, which consisted of a few general questions and then I was asked 2 scenario-based role play questions. In these 2 questions, I had to pretent I was a doctor and depending on the scenario you were given, your reactions to these scenarios were tested. The whole interview only lasted about 20 mins or so.

After the interview, I then had to complete a short literacy test - my essay question was 'tell us about a time when you had a good healthcare experience and tell us why?'

After that I went off for a tour of the university.

Good luck with your interview :smile:
Hey,

I had my interview about a week ago and I found it okay on the whole.

I had to first complete a short maths test. You only get about 30 mins to complete the test and your timed. The questions in the maths test were all about dosage/medication questions, and there were also some conversion questions e.g. convert 10mg into mcg etc. You can't use a calculator by the way!!

Then I had to complete a prioritisation test whereby I was given a scenario and then had to rank each response in the order that I would prioritise it e.g. 1 (first thing I would do) and 5 (last thing I would do).

Then after that, I had my interview, which consisted of a few general questions and then I was asked 2 scenario-based role play questions. In these 2 questions, I had to pretent I was a doctor and depending on the scenario you were given, your reactions to these scenarios were tested. The whole interview only lasted about 20 mins or so.

After the interview, I then had to complete a short literacy test - my essay question was 'tell us about a time when you had a good healthcare experience and tell us why?'

After that I went off for a tour of the university.

Good luck with your interview :smile:

Ahhh awesome stuff!

Thank you for that, was really helpful!!!

All the best to you too!
Reply 12
Hi

I have applied for Brunel for the 2017 intakes. When do they usually get back to you for interview it's been 4 months now and still nothing. For those who have started the course how is it going? Do they provide any sort of funding towards the course?
Reply 13
Original post by Samisam
Hi

I have applied for Brunel for the 2017 intakes. When do they usually get back to you for interview it's been 4 months now and still nothing. For those who have started the course how is it going? Do they provide any sort of funding towards the course?

Hey! I applied back in November and heard back about 2 weeks ago and have my interview tomorrow! I hope you hear from them soon :smile:
Reply 14
Good luck for the interview hope it goes well! I've applied on December so hopefully they should get back to me soon! Let me know how the interview is!
Original post by Kebble92
Hey! I applied back in November and heard back about 2 weeks ago and have my interview tomorrow! I hope you hear from them soon :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Samisam
Good luck for the interview hope it goes well! I've applied on December so hopefully they should get back to me soon! Let me know how the interview is!

Hey, did you get it Samisam? I'm starting next week :smile: would be great if you were too!!

Quick Reply

Latest