The Student Room Group

People who supported Brexit - do you feel conned?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shumaya
Ian Duncan Smith was on the official leave campaign and he has also said that £350 million probably won't be going to the NHS. Maybe you should check your facts before accusing others of having no brain cells.

Original post by InnerTemple
Fair enough! I'd find it amazing if many leave supporters were happy with what looks likely. Your reasons for leaving must have been niche!

Since you claim to have greater brain power than me, you'll know that Ian Duncan Smith was part of the leave campaign. And on Sunday he retracted the £350m NHS spending promise.

That is false. He said that is what the leave campaign intend to do but ultimately it comes down to the government elected in 2020 whether they enforce it or not. So try again you fools
Reply 121
The post says that 3m jobs are linked to the EU and are at risk.

What part of that do you disagree with?

Implies that the 3 million jobs would be at risk of being lost, which is a lie.
Original post by TercioOfParma
How exactly does pointing out a statistic make whites superior? Not all blacks commit the crime, it may have been that the black people came across worse too, which is an individual thing.

If you don't rent to a black person because you assume they will commit more crime, because they are black, that is racism, defined. How can you not understand that.
Original post by Samiz
That Twitter status...is the official campaign...

Yeh, well, if that was the case then you would read the entire tweet which quite clearly writes.

"3 million UK jobs are linked to our trade with the EU. Don't risk it."

Anyway, not quite the same as 3 million job losses. Not that it will stop you from repeating it.
Original post by Tabstercat
If you don't rent to a black person because you assume they will commit more crime, because they are black, that is racism, defined. How can you not understand that.

That may not be why, it could be because they came across badly. At the same time, they may be acknowledging that statistic and that may be why, which would indeed be racist. I was rushing through since I was getting a ton of replies.
Reply 125
Well, it's also a political union because it has laws that are applied across all member countries and can dictate decisions to member countries.

Exactly this lol. People such as my Grandma voted over 40 years ago for a free common market. Not a political union with aspirations for an EU army. THEY'RE the ones that were conned.
Original post by Samiz

What you mean is that you want it imply that so it will support what you are saying.
Well, I can predict that in 30 years that it is most likely that parliament will still exist and that we will still have democracy in this country. It isn't certain, but it is highly unlikely.

And that constitutes a prediction to you?
We would have a parliament and democracy in this country if we voted to remain, or if we decide to unilaterally withdraw from the EU tomorrow, or if we decide to do virtually anything that isn't a coup d'etat.
Current economic crisis, which is likely to continue (because leave still don't have a viable negotiating plan), and potential longer term economic downturn is okay risk for next 15 years because we'll still have parliament and democracy in 30?
Reply 128
Original post by DorianGrayism
Yeh, well, if that was the case then you would read the entire tweet which quite clearly writes.

"3 million UK jobs are linked to our trade with the EU. Don't risk it."

Anyway, not quite the same as 3 million job losses. Not that it will stop you from repeating it.

As if implying 3,000,000 jobs will be risked makes it any more acceptable, but ah well, at least I can accept lies from the leave campaign.
Original post by Manchester_123
That is false. He said that is what the leave campaign intend to do but ultimately it comes down to the government elected in 2020 whether they enforce it or not. So try again you fools

Well, it looks quite likely that he will be in government... but despite this, he backtracked. If he knew it was never going to happen, why mention it at all?

Original post by Samiz

I'd say that any job linked to the EU is at risk. That seems to be a reasonable assertion to me.
Reply 130
Original post by DorianGrayism
What you mean is that you want it imply that so it will support what you are saying.

3 MILLION JOBS - that's how many UK jobs are linked to EU trade & are at risk.
Original post by swanderfeild
And that constitutes a prediction to you?
We would have a parliament and democracy in this country if we voted to remain, or if we decide to unilaterally withdraw from the EU tomorrow, or if we decide to do virtually anything that isn't a coup d'etat.
Current economic crisis, which is likely to continue (because leave still don't have a viable negotiating plan), and potential longer term economic downturn is okay risk for next 15 years because we'll still have parliament and democracy in 30?

Yeah, it does. However, the difference is that the political nature of the EU invalidates our parliament, as they could turn around, say "no" and pass legislation to veto the law, because of the supremacy of EU law. I fully expected a recession when I voted, I would rather my country be poor and free than rich and enslaved.
Original post by Manchester_123

He said:

"What we actually said was a significant amount of it would go to the NHS. It’s essentially down to the Government but I believe that is what was pledged and that’s what should happen."

"There was talk about it going to the NHS but there are other bits and pieces like agriculture, which is part of the process. That is the divide up. It was never the total."

Which is quite different from this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/05/14/97905329_BRISTOL_ENGLAND_-_MAY_14__Conservative_MP_Boris_Johnson_speaks_as_he_visits_Bristol_on_May-large_trans++KjggCdpvXjoraOzAlyzu1MOSRhbr0ZABex7Vh5dC_YU.jpg
Yeah I admit that, I responded with the cartoon in a "hey, we can post cartoons too" kinda way, then defended it when necessary.

I don't think an argument or opinion holds much weight just because it comes in cartoon form! Ultimately it needs to have some kind of basis in fact.

Even if I look at the non-economic perspective, I'm seeing things like a surge in racist incidents against people from foreign backgrounds, a loss of our political gravitas on an international scale etc. and major regret from many Leave voters from having voted as they did.

So I'm curious as to what your defence of it is. You say there's more to life than money, which suggests that you think Britain has benefited in some kind of non-economic sense, and I wonder what you think that is. Really trying hard to see the silver lining here.
Original post by Samiz
As if implying 3,000,000 jobs will be risked makes it any more acceptable, but ah well, at least I can accept lies from the leave campaign.

The Leave campaign isn't lying.

It is just you.
Original post by Samiz
Exactly this lol. People such as my Grandma voted over 40 years ago for a free common market. Not a political union with aspirations for an EU army. THEY'RE the ones that were conned.

They weren't. Look back at literature from the time - it clearly gave information about a political union and future aims.

Anyway - it looks like we will be in the same, if not very similar, position regardless of the referendum result. You angry about this?
Original post by Samiz

Ok, so say you have a job which is linked to the EU.

Would you be feeling totally secure in your employment right now?
Original post by tazarooni89
I don't think an argument or opinion holds much weight just because it comes in cartoon form! Ultimately it needs to have some kind of basis in fact.

Even if I look at the non-economic perspective, I'm seeing things like a surge in racist incidents against people from foreign backgrounds, a loss of our political gravitas on an international scale etc. and major regret from many Leave voters from having voted as they did.

So I'm curious as to what your defence of it is. You say there's more to life than money, which suggests that you think Britain has benefited in some kind of non-economic sense, and I wonder what you think that is.

It was just an off the cusp f u. And as I pointed out, It does.

Racism would have only gotten worse even if we had stayed, since people are starting to get sick of people taking their jobs, raping their women and occupying their social housing. Now I am not working class, but I understand that nobody deserves to see their society decay like that. The racist incidents are understandable backlash, even if I disagree with them.

My defense of my decision? The ability for us to make laws again without the looming spectre of an undemocratic institution proposing and passing legislation to annul it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 138
They weren't. Look back at literature from the time - it clearly gave information about a political union and future aims.

Anyway - it looks like we will be in the same, if not very similar, position regardless of the referendum result. You angry about this?

You have no idea how it looks considering the new government isn't yet in place and negotiations haven't started. Nor do I, so I will wait and see.
Original post by Samiz

What is your point?

Obviously, if your job is linked to EU Trade and trade barriers in EU Trade go up then clearly there is a risk of a job loss. No one is saying that the job will be lost.

Quick Reply

Latest