The Student Room Group

Not enjoying new job, when is too soon to start looking somewhere else?

Hey everyone!

So at the start of May I got my first proper job at McDonalds and I was quite excited about it at first as I was feeling really optimistic about earning my own money and not having to depend on my parents, etc, so in that aspect it's been great, but as time has went on I've found the actual job really unenjoyable.

It's work and I realise most people don't enjoy their job but I feel so uncomfortable when I'm working there. I don't feel suited to the fast pace of the restaurant and I'm finding it hard to deal with being shouted at constantly by mangers for petty things. It's got to the point where I feel sick with worry before every shift. I don't really want to be there anymore.

I passed my probation and they seem happy to keep me as an employee but I'd rather work somewhere else but I'm not sure if I should wait it out or start looking straight away. I'm not planning to quit until I find another job but I'm unsure at how other workplaces react to current employment. Will they find the fact I've worked there for just under two months a bad thing? I have no idea how to go about it.

If anyone could give me any advice it'd be much appreciated!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jamjam996
Hey everyone!

So at the start of May I got my first proper job at McDonalds and I was quite excited about it at first as I was feeling really optimistic about earning my own money and not having to depend on my parents, etc, so in that aspect it's been great, but as time has went on I've found the actual job really unenjoyable.

It's work and I realise most people don't enjoy their job but I feel so uncomfortable when I'm working there. I don't feel suited to the fast pace of the restaurant and I'm finding it hard to deal with being shouted at constantly by mangers for petty things. It's got to the point where I feel sick with worry before every shift. I don't really want to be there anymore.

I passed my probation and they seem happy to keep me as an employee but I'd rather work somewhere else but I'm not sure if I should wait it out or start looking straight away. I'm not planning to quit until I find another job but I'm unsure at how other workplaces react to current employment. Will they find the fact I've worked there for just under two months a bad thing? I have no idea how to go about it.

If anyone could give me any advice it'd be much appreciated!

You can start looking straight away if you want. You might not get anything straight away anyway, so by the time you get something, you will probably have been there a bit longer and it wont look as bad.
Even if any future employer asks why you are leaving your current job, you can always just say that you are looking for better hours, somewhere nearer home etc etc. There are plenty of excuses to think of.
You are doing the right thing though in staying in your current job until you find something else rather than quitting. It looks better that you already have a job and you will find it easier to get something if you already have a job and experience than if you hadnt ever had a job.

Quick Reply

Latest