The Student Room Group

Platonic friendships

Can men and women just be friends? More on the platonic friendship especially when there's attraction from the woman. How do you go about it? What advice do you give? Especially when you're partner is a jealous type.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally I think that there can be platonic male and female relationships, but people are just stupid to assume that every man is attracted to any woman and vice versa..
I would say that decide which relationship you care most about and try to imagine yourself in their position. Just remember that friendships mean a lot and tend to last longer than relationships.
It's a tough position to be in but you have to say it like it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Have you never watched When Harry met Sally?
Reply 3
Original post by Hannxhq
Personally I think that there can be platonic male and female relationships, but people are just stupid to assume that every man is attracted to any woman and vice versa..
I would say that decide which relationship you care most about and try to imagine yourself in their position. Just remember that friendships mean a lot and tend to last longer than relationships.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which position is tough to be in? Just need some clarification. And I agree with friendships lasting longer and how men are able to switch attraction for a woman to admiration than lust... when they're in a relationship
I am a girl and I have a good friendship with a boy. We have always just been friends and nothing more. So yes it is possible
Yeah they can - I've got platonic friendships with guys.
Reply 6
Original post by cookie123456789
I am a girl and I have a good friendship with a boy. We have always just been friends and nothing more. So yes it is possible

Would it change if he was with someone?
Most of my friends are male. And that's really it.
Nopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Original post by Anonymous
Would it change if he was with someone?

No not at all
Yeah definitely!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Can men and women just be friends? More on the platonic friendship especially when there's attraction from the woman. How do you go about it? What advice do you give? Especially when you're partner is a jealous type.

Your issue here isn't "how to have platonic relationship", it's "how do I deal with my jealous partner".

You could give pages of advice on the subject, but ultimately it boils down to trusting each other or breaking up.
Yes. I have several female friends who I'm not attracted to.

Wow that sounds really harsh :lol:
It's definitely possible, I just think people can be confused sometimes and not knowing exactly what they want. There's so many situations and films as well where friends end up together and I think people have just sometimes come to assume that it could happen to them. Friends can definitely become more, but friends can stay friends too!

Obviously you're going to find other people attractive too, but if you aren't going to act upon it then it's fine, if you think it's going to effect your relationship then it's worth considering if you should be in one currently.
I'd like to think so. I have had a long term friend for 13 yrs and he gives the insight of the male psyche when my girl friends down have have the same thinking. Alas we don't see each other that much of late, as we live 5hrs away from each other and have drifted apart of late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Namita Gurung
Yeah they can - I've got platonic friendships with guys.

Original post by Hannxhq

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only time a guy is happy to be friend with a girl if she is below 4/10.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
No, but I flirt with everyone, even other men and I'm not even gay/bi. I think this is why I don't have any real friends beyond distant acquaintances who know me as the cheekyboy.

Nothing wrong with a flirt, you clearly just need to find some secure people :smile:
It is possible but I'm the same as you.

Like how often do you message your male or female friends (this is for everyone)? Is it normal to talk to them the same frequency as say your bf/gf?
Reply 18
I think a guy and a girl can be 'just friends' but only to an extent.

The closer they are as friends and the longer they stay as friends, one of them is going to start catching feelings.
Original post by DanielleT192
It is possible but I'm the same as you.

Like how often do you message your male or female friends (this is for everyone)? Is it normal to talk to them the same frequency as say your bf/gf?

Exactly, and that's when it can be a problem, and in my experience I've had to ask for the lines not to be blurred so, everyone knows where they stand. Even those with weird maternal instincts as a friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending