The Student Room Group

So which degree is better for an Investment Banker

An MBA @ University College London, or an MSC In Management at the London school of Economics?

I'm just curious as it seems I will graduate with a First class at a Prestigious University but not in a Business course, so which course would strengthen my CV?

Or are either a good choice?

Scroll to see replies

You need to work for a few years before applying for an MBA, so that's completely out of the question for the time being
Original post by glebp
You need to work for a few years before applying for an MBA, so that's completely out of the question for the time being

So an MBA is the best option?
Original post by Fantastic Fan
So an MBA is the best option?

Give me your profile, university/course, work experience, internships, etc
Original post by glebp
Give me your profile, university/course, work experience, internships, etc

I don't really have much work experience, but have interned at a few banks and go to a really top top university, I can't give it away here.
I don't really have much work experience, but have interned at a few banks and go to a really top top university, I can't give it away here.

Work experience is key. An outstanding academic profile is nothing without relevant experience. Im not sure why you want to pursue further study?

Banks do not care what degree you study
An MBA @ University College London, or an MSC In Management at the London school of Economics?

I'm just curious as it seems I will graduate with a First class at a Prestigious University but not in a Business course, so which course would strengthen my CV?

What course are you currently studying? An MBA requires at least 2 years work experience at most universities. LSE is a reputable university, but if you're looking to break into banking you need to get work experience in that field or similar.
Original post by glebp
Work experience is key. An outstanding academic profile is nothing without relevant experience. Im not sure why you want to pursue further study?

Banks do not care what degree you study

Work experience at a bank?

Doesn't that require work experience at a bank? Seems like an infinite loop
Original post by gameofthrones1
What course are you currently studying? An MBA requires at least 2 years work experience at most universities. LSE is a reputable university, but if you're looking to break into banking you need to get work experience in that field or similar.

What are your suggestions of things i can do as work experience?
Work experience at a bank?

Doesn't that require work experience at a bank? Seems like an infinite loop

Should have done it during your first and second years at university. Apply for internships now. If you already graduated its a bit late and you should have thought earlier about this

@Princepieman
Original post by glebp
Should have done it during your first and second years at university. Apply for internships now. If you already graduated its a bit late and you should have thought earlier about this

@Princepieman

Do internships count as work experiences?

I'm half french so English isn't really strong
What are your suggestions of things i can do as work experience?

What year of University are you in? There are lots of opportunities to apply for summer placements if you're in the penultimate year of your studies. However, if you are in your final year their are many graduate programs that are open for application,do some research at what you can apply for at investment banks, try bulge brackets (Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, UBS, Nomura atc.) or try some boutique and smaller sized firms, any type of firm (big or small) you break into will really strengthen your CV.

Have you got a particular area of investment banking you are interested in?

Couple of points to be aware of; course is largely irrelevant when applying for finance jobs, "Investment Banker" is extremely vague but broadly speaking degree will probably still be irrelevant regardless of the area you want to go into.

As far as I'm aware UCL only offer an Education MBA and won't launch a full one until 2018, this may work for you if you start working post graduation as you'll have the minimum 3 years experience by the time it starts. If you apply to a masters degree such as the MSc at LSE you'll have an opportunity to complete an internship at a bank in between which will help with your application.
Original post by gameofthrones1
What year of University are you in? There are lots of opportunities to apply for summer placements if you're in the penultimate year of your studies. However, if you are in your final year their are many graduate programs that are open for application,do some research at what you can apply for at investment banks, try bulge brackets (Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, UBS, Nomura atc.) or try some boutique and smaller sized firms, any type of firm (big or small) you break into will really strengthen your CV.

Have you got a particular area of investment banking you are interested in?

Sorry for late reply, Internet was down :smile:

I am in 2nd year and have been getting straight A average is 74% so I think i will graduate with first class, and i haven't been able to see any banking intership because I do scomputer science and no opportunity was there. Maybe I'll check internet to see if it is open.

Can I still get good work experience in 2nd year?

I would like Asset management because I'm not too astute with the stock market
(edited 7 years ago)
An MBA is intended for people who have already worked for a few years in a career- it's not really for people who just graduated. I'd go for the MSc in Management at LSE.

I am in 2nd year and have been getting straight A average is 74% so I think i will graduate with first class, and i haven't been able to see any banking intership because I do scomputer science and no opportunity was there. Maybe I'll check internet to see if it is open.

You can still apply for all the banking roles if you do computer science. You don't need a certain degree discipline to do it. There are plenty of people with computer science degrees working in investment banking and assets management in front office roles, not just IT roles.

Unfortunately, I think this years summer internships have closed now since the interns have already been hired but you might be able to arrange one next year- some banks do allow third years to go into their summer internship programs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
You can still apply for all the banking roles if you do computer science. You don't need a certain degree discipline to do it. There are plenty of people with computer science degrees working in investment banking and assets management in front office roles, not just IT roles.

Unfortunately, I think this years summer internships have closed now since the interns have already been hired but you might be able to arrange one next year- some banks do allow third years to go into their summer internship programs.

When you say front office roles.

What do you meant?

Like Receptionist or Data entry?

Just apply to internships this fall. I'd also suggest doing more research about your intended career - working in AM is not investment banking.

Grades by themselves are also pretty bog standard, you'll need to have done other things than just study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not the one arguing on a thread asking for information, You are troll.

I already pointed out my first Language isn't English, it's French, and the UCL website says they do MBA and the University i do attend is very good. Manchester is very good, especially in past. And when he says front office i thought of jobs like that, i don't know much about office and business structure, and i want to now, which is why i am asking all these questions.

You are not helping just arguing nonsense, please if you have nothing constructive to said don't said it.

Look, I've already given you advice:

1. Apply to summer internships in the division (AM) or firms (AM) you're interested in. They will most likely still consider you as a final year student

2. Hopefully you have other things (society involvement, leadership roles, volunteering etc) to put on your CV otherwise it'll be tough if you only have good grades

3. It is simple enough to google 'front office finance roles'

4. Manchester is good but doesn't merit the 'Prestigious University' claim, even then you could have just said top 20-30 uni. It is also a semi-target for finance stuff, which means top applicants (good grades, great extra curriculars, strong work experience) have a chance but it's tough for the average applicant

5. Hence why I said it would be good to do research about the career you intend on going into before asking about masters in finance or mba courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Look, I've already given you advice:

1. Apply to summer internships in the division (AM) or firms (AM) you're interested in. They will most likely still consider you as a final year student

2. Hopefully you have other things (society involvement, leadership roles, volunteering etc) to put on your CV otherwise it'll be tough if you only have good grades

3. It is simple enough to google 'front office finance roles'

4. Manchester is good but doesn't merit the 'Prestigious University' claim, even then you could have just said top 20-30 uni. It is also a semi-target for finance stuff, which means top applicants (good grades, great extra curriculars, strong work experience) have a chance but it's tough for the average applicant

5. Hence why I said it would be good to do research about the career you intend on going into before asking about masters in finance or mba courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for all your points. You should have done this from the start.

Sorry but what do you mean by semi target in point 4. Manchester is Top 40 in the world according to ARWU and QS.

I think a good overall grade from the school will be a good advantage

Quick Reply

Latest