The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - 28th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by ManOfJustTin
I put dark matter. I think the Big Bang caused the expansion but they don't know why it's accelerating hence dark matter?

Dark energy not dark matter. Dark matter explains why galaxies are heavier than they look, dark energy is acusing expansion to accelerate
Original post by Beautywithabrain
In the astrophysics paper, the very last question was because of the Big Bang right?

I said dark energy
Is this sufficient for the 6 marker

-most of the alpha particles went straight through
-only some (1 in 1000) were deflected at an angle greater than 90 degrees
-alpha particles going straight through suggest the atom (gold) was mostly empty space
-some/great deflection suggested the nucleus was positively charged, repelling the alpha particles at an angle
-the kinetic energy equated to the electrostatic force gives the maximum nuclear radius at closest approach

Is that fine???
Original post by BigDaddy97
6 marker was good. For graph straight line from m0 till speed is about 0.6c then curves upwards rapidly and is asymptotic with v=c (never touched)

Posted from TSR Mobile

0.9 c is the usual threshold
Original post by rck8
Dark energy not dark matter. Dark matter explains why galaxies are heavier than they look, dark energy is acusing expansion to accelerate

Damn it I was so close too 😂😂 thanks anyway
Original post by kingaaran

Can't remember exactly what I put but I don't think I did 0.9c. Thankfully it's only 1 potential mark lost

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by particlestudent

-alpha particles going straight through suggest the atom (gold) was mostly empty space
-some/great deflection suggested the nucleus was positively charged, repelling the alpha particles at an angle
-the kinetic energy equated to the electrostatic force gives the maximum nuclear radius at closest approach

Is that fine???

isnt it 1 in 10,000?

What did you get for microammeter maximum reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mango Milkshake
128MeV???????

My calculated Binding energy per nucleon was sth like 123 which I thought was odd as the information in Figure 3 clearly shows 128 as you said.
Original post by Sainsbizz
Fields are not quantities.

In physics, a field is a physical quantity that has a value for each point in space and time. Source: Wikipedia
Original post by Mango Milkshake
isnt it 1 in 10,000?

Idek :frown:, I put that in brackets though and said 'some' in words, because I couldn't remember the exact number:angry:
Magnetic field; electric field; in phase

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said permeability of free space and permittivity of free space.
Original post by BigDaddy97
What did you get for microammeter maximum reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile

can't remember it was work function / stopping potential.

I think around 22? Idk - it was in the 20s
In physics, a field is a physical quantity that has a value for each point in space and time. Source: Wikipedia

🔥

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that fine???

5 I think, weren't they looking for an explanation on why it was an upper limit, explaining it's the least distance of approach, etc.
Genuinely the easiest paper I've ever done (5D). I was fully expecting it to be disgusting. Plus my decision to not bother learning the equation derivation payed off
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 736
What did people get for the penultimate question on Astro? (the distance to the Quasar) I think I had something like 2.14 x10^14 AU but I may have remembered wrong
Original post by lc970916
I said permeability of free space and permittivity of free space.

I don't think that'd get marks because those two things can't exactly have a phase relationship
Idek :frown:, I put that in brackets though and said 'some' in words, because I couldn't remember the exact number:angry:

just checked, it's 10,000

Original post by CourtlyCanter
My calculated Binding energy per nucleon was sth like 123 which I thought was odd as the information in Figure 3 clearly shows 128 as you said.

did you round it too early?
Feel like I've made loads of stupid mistakes now. An extra 10 minutes would have made a big difference

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending