The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - 28th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Anyone got the unofficial mark scheme for the normal paper and turning points, you wazzocks?😊💕
Reply 961
Original post by tanyapotter
what did people put for why the nuclear fusion reaction is more powerful, and why at a larger distance from a source you should measure the count rate longer?

More energy is required to fuse 2 hydrogen atoms for example because they have low binding energies of around 1.1MeV so to get that closer to 8.7MeV a lot more energy is required.

At a larger distance there may not be much exposure initially so you you wait for the count rate to become a roughly stable number.
is someone preparing an unofficial mark scheme?

i made so many silly mistakes in this - i think i got around 55/75 :frown: would that be enough for a B?

i need an A overall, and i got 270 UMS last year so i need 210 ums this year to scrape an A but i don't know if i've done it tbh
is someone preparing an unofficial mark scheme?

i made so many silly mistakes in this - i think i got around 55/75 :frown: would that be enough for a B?

June 2014 was a similar difficulty and it was 51/75 for an A*, 45/75 for an A

You've done way more than enough for a B haha
what did people put for why the nuclear fusion reaction is more powerful, and why at a larger distance from a source you should measure the count rate longer?

I put about the gradient because a certain nucleon number change gives a larger increase in binding energy per nucleon. I put about at a larger distance the counts per minute will vary more so a longer time will reduce % uncertainty and stuff like that.
how many marks for each q on nuclear paper

Why 4?

Ffs lol. That gets the distance between nodes and anti nodes right?
For the first question for TP, the conclusions:

I put that cathode rays have a negative charge. And that they have energy, momentum and mass. Is this ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucabrasi98
Why 4?

Ffs lol. That gets the distance between nodes and anti nodes right?

Distance between 2 nodes is wl/2. Distance between node and antinode is half that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kelvin1338
June 2014 was a similar difficulty and it was 51/75 for an A*, 45/75 for an A

You've done way more than enough for a B haha

god, i hope so! so you definitely don't think the boundaries will be as high as june 15 (51/75) for a B, right? because people are saying they found this paper really easy!
god, i hope so! so you definitely don't think the boundaries will be as high as june 15 (51/75) for a B, right? because people are saying they found this paper really easy!

Last year's paper was insanely simple. Close to the easiest they've ever made I think. This was quite a bit harder, with some of the worded questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 971
In turning points, I put the mass difference to 4 sig figs because all the values I used for the calculation were also 4 sig figs (or more). That wouldn't be a problem right?
Reply 972
Original post by GeorgiaAnne
I did! Thought it was v low considering water is about 4900

yh same lol

i think itll be similar - it certainly wasn't above average difficulty
Applied physics anyone? What did u get for the efficiency
Original post by Sid1234

Agreed it wasn't more difficult than previous years, but last year's paper was easier than any of the other papers in my opinion.
Original post by Sid1234

do you think it'll be similar to june 2010?

in june 2010:
100 UMS: 67
A* - 60
A - 53
B - 46

?
do you think it'll be similar to june 2010?

in june 2010:
100 UMS: 67
A* - 60
A - 53
B - 46

?

That seems pretty fair to me!
Original post by perpetua
Applied physics anyone? What did u get for the efficiency

around 0.3 but im not sure my indicated power was correct

June 2015 was more straightforward, but this wasn't the hardest paper they've set. Boundary predictions are a tough call for this one. It partially depends on how strict/lenient the mark scheme is!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending