The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 D2 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TrueDAN
We expecting at least one formualtion? I think game theory and they may even want us to go to create a tableaux from it and solve.

theres always one 7 marker formulation question
In the textbook, on page 110, it shows the simplex method with reduced number of tableaux, it shows θ\theta values being calculated on the line after row operations, but can't θ\theta values be shown on the same tableau rather than on another one?
How do you guys do the labelling procedure on network flow questions? I update the flow and excess flow numbers by crossing out the old numbers and adding in the new but In the P+M tutors marked answers the augmented routes are written down but the network diagram is left untouched...
As they often ask you to add the value of the arcs in an earlier part would you still get marks if you crossed it out during the labelling procedure?
How can I find which saturated arcs the minimum cut should pass through easily? Sometimes I get the max flow correct, but I can't find a way to put the cut so I can show that max flow = min cut.

@Euclidean
Will there ever be a question on formulating linear programming problems like the ones in chapter 4?
Reply 45
Wow, seems like only a handful of people are taking this exam this year. Assuming that everyone on this thread is representative of people sitting it.

I think there'll be a horrible dynamic programming question (probably from context as opposed to the digraph) given how nice last year's was. Definitely an allocation as it didn't come up last year. What else comes up is anyone's guess.

I just wish I didn't screw up transportation problems and network flows last year. That cost me a few grades. Now I have to put up with whatever they set this year...
this exam is going to kill me
Anyone know where I could find the Jan 2016 Ial D2 paper?
When you turn a pay-off matrix into a linear programming problem and you have to add a number to each element to make them all bigger than zero do you define V as V = value of the game + (whatever you added)?
Sometimes in the mark scheme they do and sometimes they just define V as the value of the game
Original post by lordyP
When you turn a pay-off matrix into a linear programming problem and you have to add a number to each element to make them all bigger than zero do you define V as V = value of the game + (whatever you added)?
Sometimes in the mark scheme they do and sometimes they just define V as the value of the game

Yh I would do V=v+(whatever is added) as this way you're guaranteed to get the marks.
Original post by 4nonymous
Yh I would do V=v+(whatever is added) as this way you're guaranteed to get the marks.

Okay thanks!
Reply 51
Original post by Themathgeek
Anyone know where I could find the Jan 2016 Ial D2 paper?

There wasn't one.
Reply 52
Few seconds of someone's time? For the maximising allocation problem, is it okay making all of the elements what've tater than taking it away from a large number?
Original post by Asurat
Few seconds of someone's time? For the maximising allocation problem, is it okay making all of the elements what've tater than taking it away from a large number?

What do you mean?
I find DP. through tables so confusing. I can follow the examples they have given in the book but when it comes to actually doing a question I have no idea what Im doing.
Original post by fpmaniac
I find DP. through tables so confusing. I can follow the examples they have given in the book but when it comes to actually doing a question I have no idea what Im doing.

If it has a few rows filled in, you can usually work out the next rows by just following the pattern . I'm screwed for tomorrow if we have a table DP, without anything filled in.
Anyone find Simplex tables stressful? I cant seem to get any question right, always mess up on some numbers
Original post by fpmaniac
Anyone find Simplex tables stressful? I cant seem to get any question right, always mess up on some numbers

My life is stressful since I need to pass D2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have an easy way of finding out if it's a minimax or a maximin on the Dynamic Programming questions. E.G. Question 8 on last years paper.
For me, that's the hardest bit! :s-smilie:
Whats the best method of finding maximum flow in the exam paper? I know how to do it but i normally cross out the previous flows and it would take to long to draw the diagram over and over

Quick Reply

Latest