The Student Room Group

Brexit causes rush for Irish Citizenship

Scroll to see replies

My Mum's cousin has traced some Ulster Scots from the early 1800's.

Bit too far back I think.:frown:
As a matter of interest do they allow dual nationality?
If so then anyone able to and may have a need to work in Europe would be mad not to get one.
Original post by 999tigger
If so then anyone able to and may have a need to work in Europe would be mad not to get one.

Yes, they do. :smile:
Original post by Snufkin
No. To be eligible, either a parent or grandparent has to have been born in Ireland (north or south).

Seriously, not even my mother's brother and his family (my first cousins)?
Original post by 999tigger

They do. The Irish are overwhelmed so they're asking people to stop applying.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-ireland-irish-passport-britons-urged-to-stop-applying-after-eu-referendum-vote-a7107016.html
How I wish at least one of my parents were born in Ireland :frown:
Original post by orton6
Is there any way to get one if I have no ties to Ireland?

Go and live there for five years, then apply for citizenship.
Original post by Snufkin
Do you have any Irish/Northern Irish family?

My Great Grandmother was an Irish immigrant. Does that count?
Not sure the Irish will enjoy a massive load of North Londoners and their bratty kids showing up, lol that would be hilarious. What melodrama, should be funny though.
How far back does it go, if Scotland ends up leaving my grandparents on my fathers side are Scottish, enough for me to apply for a Passport lol?
Original post by JamesN88
My Mum's cousin has traced some Ulster Scots from the early 1800's.

Bit too far back I think.:frown:

Grandparents are as far back as you can go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
My Great Grandmother was an Irish immigrant. Does that count?

I wonder if your parent could apply for citizenship, as their grandparent was Irish? And then, once your parent is an Irish citizenship, you could then apply? I've no idea whether that would be feasible :tongue:
Reply 32
All a bit knee jerk since change is 2 year+ down the line and most likely will not affect things too much in the end ie look at Switzerland. I'll keep an option on it though as a eligible Irish citizen.
Original post by Zarek
All a bit knee jerk since change is 2 year+ down the line and most likely will not affect things too much in the end ie look at Switzerland. I'll keep an option on it though as a eligible Irish citizen.

Ireland could change their nationality laws by then. Not very likely perhaps, but not impossible either.
Original post by SeanFM
It was at this point that I lost it. :toofunny:

I do love some good craic!

Original post by SeanFM

Good luck with your application! :h:

Thanks you! :biggrin: :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending