The Student Room Group

Corbyn loses Vote

Jemery Corbyn has lost a vote of Confidence Corbyn loses vote 172 to 40

Scroll to see replies

He HAS to step down, honestly I was a corbynite till this week, he's being stubborn, he has to realise he can't win an election. :frown: By staying, he is ensuring the conservatives gain more votes than ever and possibly is allowing UKIP to get votes in Labour heartlands.
Yet the funny part of this is that he'll probably stand again and get elected by the Labour members.

Absolute turmoil in the Labour party.
he will just ignore the result.
Wasn't expecting that.
Original post by similarBlank
Wasn't expecting that.

How can you not have expected that since the shadow cabinet genocide earlier this week? Don't think he's been very popular ever really.

#BackStabbingMPs
Reply 6
Is there anyone who can win an election for labour? Doubt it..
Reply 7
Original post by similarBlank
Wasn't expecting that.

After all the events of the last three days, really?!

Did Diane Abbott vote 40 times?
Original post by meenu89
*Did Diane Abbott vote 40 times?

Well played Ma'am

:congrats:

you win today's Internet

:rofl: *
Reply 9
Original post by SoggyCabbages
How can you not have expected that since the shadow cabinet genocide earlier this week? Don't think he's been very popular ever really.

#BackStabbingMPs

Original post by meenu89
After all the events of the last three days, really?

Allow me to introduce you two to the concept of sarcasm....
He must go, but he probably won't - he has too much pride to stepdown. I don't understand why so many people value Corbyn's continued 'leadership' more than Labour winning the next general election. It really does beggar belief.
tbh we need Tony Blair back, but with a more sensible apprach to immigration and foreign policy.
Reply 13
If there were an alternative to Mr. Corbyn who could continue on the work that John McDonnell has been doing with the world's top economists - an invest-to-grow economic strategy that provides a positive and sensible alternative to the Conservatives' austerity agenda, and called for by both the IMF and the OECD, then I would consider supporting that alternative. More McDonnell's eminently sensible Fiscal Rule, less Osborne's very silly and very arbitrary budget surplus target (which people like Liz Kendall would have supported).

There would be other conditions: they'd have to support taking the railways into public ownership; they'd have to give assurances that they won't yet again get into a competition with the Conservatives over who can bash immigrants and welfare claimants the most; they'd have to support democracy in the workplace and workers' co-operatives; they'd have to be highly sceptical of military interventions.

If there's a candidate out there who can meet those conditions, I would support them.

Corbyn has to be on the ballot for this to happen, though, which is why a leadership election is the best outcome now. I highly doubt that the Parliamentary Labour Party will find a candidate who would meet members' approval (i.e. meeting many if not all of the above conditions), particularly as they've reverted back to their sneering, negative campaigning instead of actually working on finding a positive alternative to Jeremy Corbyn. But, if they do, I would give them my support.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by the bear
he will just ignore the result.

I'm sad he's going to step down :frown:
wanted to point out that just about everyone who boted for him can have a place in his new super duper refreshed shadow cabinet.

We really need a decent opposition to hold the government to account. British politics at the moment is so rubbish, just no talent. Worrting that such people are going to have even more power.
Original post by queen-bee

you think he is a hot guy :yep: *
Original post by queen-bee

He won't he just said he is'nt step down
Reply 18
Original post by the bear
you think he is a hot guy :yep: *

Spoiler

Original post by hazzer1998
He won't he just said he is'nt step down