The Student Room Group

Getting into Uni with A*AD

Hi guys! I messed up my maths a-level - I self-taught it to myself in one year at home alongside studying 2 other subjects at sixth form and I completely flopped every single exam! Will any uni let me go through clearing? I wanted to study Philosophy at York, Leeds or Sheffield? I have realistically achieved A*AD in my a levels - surely that makes up for the D?
exactly the same boat as you i think, i personally think i got A* maths A chemistry but a D in further maths since i self taught myself the whole course including fp1-fp3 and m1-m3 but yes depending on your subjects in which the A* was in then I'm sure it will be fine
Reply 2
Original post by cosmicsparrow
Hi guys! I messed up my maths a-level - I self-taught it to myself in one year at home alongside studying 2 other subjects at sixth form and I completely flopped every single exam! Will any uni let me go through clearing? I wanted to study Philosophy at York, Leeds or Sheffield? I have realistically achieved A*AD in my a levels - surely that makes up for the D?

I think that's the equivalent of ABB?

You might be lucky, but it depends on the course requirements.

You never know, you might have done really well in it!
Original post by Fmathslad
exactly the same boat as you i think, i personally think i got A* maths A chemistry but a D in further maths since i self taught myself the whole course including fp1-fp3 and m1-m3 but yes depending on your subjects in which the A* was in then I'm sure it will be fine

sucks man - truly though I could do it :frown: - everyone else had the help of teachers and opportunity to retake - then there are people like me and you who actually put some hard work in and come out with a crap grade because we've not had someone motivating us and pushing us
You'll have to go for a university that has entry requirements for a UCAS tariff, not specific grades, which means a worse university. You'll be looking at 320 UCAS points tariff, equivalent to ABB.
Reply 5

I know newcastle accept people through clearing with grades equivalent to ABB or above, and they even have a list of suitable grades and A*AD is one of the combinations so i'd suggest you think about going there - if not you can always retake as surely you can do much better than a D grade... but don't be so hard on yourself - A*A is a very very very good set of grades to start of with :smile: !!
Original post by fefssdf
I know newcastle accept people through clearing with grades equivalent to ABB or above, and they even have a list of suitable grades and A*AD is one of the combinations so i'd suggest you think about going there - if not you can always retake as surely you can do much better than a D grade... but don't be so hard on yourself - A*A is a very very very good set of grades to start of with :smile: !!

Hi,

Yep, you're right - A*AD is on our list of ABB Equivalent Grades so @cosmicsparrow would be eligible for Clearing at Newcastle Uni :smile:

Also, our Philosophy BA doesn't specify a particular subject in the entry requirements (so having a low mark in Maths wouldn't rule you out). Plus if you call up for Clearing you will have a chance to talk to one of the course selectors/tutors and the thing they're most interested in is what makes you want to study Philosophy :smile:

Hope that helps,

Persephone
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi,

Yep, you're right - A*AD is on our list of ABB Equivalent Grades so @cosmicsparrow would be eligible for Clearing at Newcastle Uni :smile:

Also, our Philosophy BA doesn't specify a particular subject in the entry requirements (so having a low mark in Maths wouldn't rule you out). Plus if you call up for Clearing you will have a chance to talk to one of the course selectors/tutors and the thing they're most interested in is what makes you want to study Philosophy :smile:

Hope that helps,

Persephone

That's awesome thank you! Glad to know that Newcastle doesn't just take into account grades, but a real passion for the subject! Newcastle Uni, you've given me so much reassurance!
Reply 8
That's awesome thank you! Glad to know that Newcastle doesn't just take into account grades, but a real passion for the subject! Newcastle Uni, you've given me so much reassurance!

I'm also considering newcastle if i haven't met my offer cause they seem to be the only uni that is realistic about the fact people can screw up exams haha
sucks man - truly though I could do it :frown: - everyone else had the help of teachers and opportunity to retake - then there are people like me and you who actually put some hard work in and come out with a crap grade because we've not had someone motivating us and pushing us

That's absolutely true. I tried to self-teach myself all of Physics, Maths and Further Maths (AS and A2) in three months, and screwed my Further Maths. I feel like I am getting A*A D/C. You should try to explain this to University. Self-Learning and self-motivating is hard task to do.

Quick Reply

Latest