The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 D2 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
My life is stressful since I need to pass D2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Repinski
Does anyone have an easy way of finding out if it's a minimax or a maximin on the Dynamic Programming questions. E.G. Question 8 on last years paper.
For me, that's the hardest bit! :s-smilie:

Do you think theres any point doing past papers? I havent started yet but it looks like all the questions are application based so they wont throw anything unexpected at you
Does anyone keep finding that the answers in the edexcel text book for dynamic programming are wrong or am I really doing them all wrong? HALP
Original post by ReeceFraser
Whats the best method of finding maximum flow in the exam paper? I know how to do it but i normally cross out the previous flows and it would take to long to draw the diagram over and over

Keep crossing and re-writing the new flow on the arrows next to it. They can look very messy, but it's the only reasonable way to do it in the time you're given.
Original post by fpmaniac
Do you think theres any point doing past papers? I havent started yet but it looks like all the questions are application based so they wont throw anything unexpected at you

It might be a good idea just to practice a few questions - especially as mistakes can easily be made, but you're right... They won't through a curve ball - there isn't enough on the spec to do that.
Reply 64
Original post by lordyP
What do you mean?

In a maximising allocation problem, the Heinemann textbook (which I use) says make all of the numbers in the cell negative and proceed as normal, whereas the mark scheme says "take each element away from a number bigger than "n"" where n is a number larger than anything in the table. Both methods yield the same solution but making the entries negative is not in the mark scheme, I was wondering if I would be credited anyway.
Hey can someone please explain this dynamic programming question :s-smilie: its the last question june 2013 and i literally don't know what to do.

https://3cb8366df74746bcd8eec8f4a7035f5f8ad90c26.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYRDVfakk5MURORVE/June%202013%20QP%20-%20D2%20Edexcel.pdf
Original post by mathsmann
Hey can someone please explain this dynamic programming question :s-smilie: its the last question june 2013 and i literally don't know what to do.

https://3cb8366df74746bcd8eec8f4a7035f5f8ad90c26.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYRDVfakk5MURORVE/June%202013%20QP%20-%20D2%20Edexcel.pdf

I'd do something like make the states the age of the bicycles, the stage the year (so stage 1 is year 4) and the actions are either replace or store.
Does the table in the answer booklet already have those bits filled in?
I'm praying for a nice simplex question like last years where they just ask you to do one iteration
ive done all the past papers so im not sure what do for revision now, any tips?
Original post by KloppOClock
ive done all the past papers so im not sure what do for revision now, any tips?

If you're dreading one type of question coming up then go on the past questions by topic on physics and maths tutor and practice just that type so that you don't dread them anymore
Original post by lordyP
I'd do something like make the states the age of the bicycles, the stage the year (so stage 1 is year 4) and the actions are either replace or store.
Does the table in the answer booklet already have those bits filled in?

https://3cb8366df74746bcd8eec8f4a7035f5f8ad90c26.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYRDVfakk5MURORVE/June%202013%20AB%20-%20D2%20Edexcel.pdf

Heres the AB and yup but i don't get what to do with each value.
Original post by Euclidean
I started D2 about 5 days before the exam and got 98 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think its possible to start 1 day before and get 80?

your stages will be year 4 - 1

your states will be 3-1 for year 4, 2-1 for year 3 etc

action will be to keep or replace

for your values you do the following
choose maximum from the last stage
add the income for the age of the bike from the state (if you replace it will will be 0)
take away the cost of keeping a bike that age or replacing
Original post by AlmostNotable
Think its possible to start 1 day before and get 80?

I started it today. Will let u know 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

So the value at the end comes from (the income for that age) + (the value of the destination) - (the cost of keeping that age) OR (the income for that age) + (the value of the destination) - (the cost of replacing the bikes)
So the next row if he keeps the bikes will be:
Destination = 3, Value = 5 + 2 - 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here
Reply 76
Original post by lordyP
I'm praying for a nice simplex question like last years where they just ask you to do one iteration

Watch there be a solving game theory with simplex question :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We had the whole year to learn it, what's wrong with us?
Anyone got any good revision sources for DP through tables?
good luck everyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending