The Student Room Group

grammar school? Is it right for me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mediaya
Am doing nearly the same, replace the physics with french and add maths:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah cool. I do maths btw. How was AS?
Original post by champ_mc99

Oh sorry didnt see (obviously.... With one eye closed) 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by champ_mc99

AS..... I didn't do that yet, i just finished gcses

Posted from TSR Mobile
K am going to the college now to see what's it's like, tell u when i come back (i am feeling even more scared tgen goig to the grammar school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mediaya
AS..... I didn't do that yet, i just finished gcses

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops sorry. Thought you were in my year.
Original post by mediaya
i am going to be doing my a-levels after the summer holiday but i am not sure if i should go to a grammar school or just a normal sixth form college. i have applied in both and got an offer in both of them.

What do you recommend? Anyone went to grammar school?How was it?

I went to a grammar school and it was honestly the worst experience of my life. The vast majority of teachers didn't even teach because students were smart enough to teach themselves the entire course, according to them. There was no inspiration or pastoral support and if you weren't going to Oxbridge, they didn't care about you.

The other students there were also the nastiest people I've ever met. Completely up their own arses and so judgemental. B i t c hing behind people's backs and shunning others socially was normality.

It ultimately sent me into a downwards circle of depression and suicidal tendencies, from which I still haven't fully recovered 4 years later.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by super_kawaii
I went to a grammar school and it was honestly the worst experience of my life. The vast majority of teachers didn't even teach because students were smart enough to teach themselves the entire course, according to them. There was no inspiration or pastoral support and if you weren't going to Oxbridge, they didn't care about you.

The other students there were also the nastiest people I've ever met. Completely up their own arses and so judgemental. B i t c hing behind people's backs and shunning others socially was normality.

It ultimately sent me into a downwards circle of depression and suicidal tendencies, from which I still haven't fully recovered 4 years later.
Wow! I'm sorry you had to go through all of that, but I do think that your case is an anomaly, like surely it can't be that bad. I sort of know a person from the school I should be going to and he has said that the people are really sensible and well mannered.(he himself is too)

Your school sounds like what other schools in my area are like, 'EXACTLY' what you have mentioned goes on there.

There is another grammar school near me but that is just like you have mentioned above, so I think every school's different, whether grammar or not.

I guess it just depends on the school and every school varies as I said earlier, so I think one persons experience can't be generalised with everyone, which makes my and some others' situation slightly tough as some would say they had the best time of their lives while others would completely disagree.

Any ways, have you finished your studies now? (If you don't mind me asking) :redface:

I'm sorry if I came across ignorant or bigoted, forgive me if I did. :frown:
Original post by hamza772000
Wow! I'm sorry you had to go through all of that, but I do think that your case is an anomaly, like surely it can't be that bad. I sort of know a person from the school I should be going to and he has said that the people are really sensible and well mannered.(he himself is too)

Your school sounds like what other schools in my area are like, 'EXACTLY' what you have mentioned goes on there.

There is another grammar school near me but that is just like you have mentioned above, so I think every school's different, whether grammar or not.

I guess it just depends on the school and every school varies as I said earlier, so I think one persons experience can't be generalised with everyone, which makes my and some others' situation slightly tough as some would say they had the best time of their lives while others would completely disagree.

Any ways, have you finished your studies now? (If you don't mind me asking) :redface:

I'm sorry if I came across ignorant or bigoted, forgive me if I did. :frown:

It's alright-most people in my school who had ambition said they don't look back fondly on their own time at the school fondly at all, for the same reasons. We also had a sizeable number of kids who didn't care one iota about their education and spent the whole day smoking weed by the school gates, so it definitely wasn't a healthy environment.

My problem was even worse as the other school in town was notorious for being even worse and having minimal attainment, It was in special measures for 10 years!!! Plus my family couldn't afford private school so I was stuck in hell for 7 years.

I've finally got out of it though-I'm just about to graduate from uni where life is much better, although I still haven't fully recovered from my school experience
Original post by super_kawaii
It's alright-most people in my school who had ambition said they don't look back fondly on their own time at the school fondly at all, for the same reasons. We also had a sizeable number of kids who didn't care one iota about their education and spent the whole day smoking weed by the school gates, so it definitely wasn't a healthy environment.

My problem was even worse as the other school in town was notorious for being even worse and having minimal attainment, It was in special measures for 10 years!!! Plus my family couldn't afford private school so I was stuck in hell for 7 years.

I've finally got out of it though-I'm just about to graduate from uni where life is much better, although I still haven't fully recovered from my school experience
You were really in a tough situation, well at least you've made it through. :smile:

I hope you do recover from the miserable time you had at school. :redface:

May I ask what degree you're doing? If that's fine for you to answer. :redface:

And finally, good luck with your graduation, and of course congratulations! :biggrin:
I go to a Grammar School and I think it's just like any other school or college really except it has more middle class kids, less diversity and perhaps better facilities and higher standards and expectations.
Also at college you are probably more free to do what you want. At Grammar the teacher's are stricter.
My friend got a book wacked on her head for talking in class once.
Some of the teachers are lovely though :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cookie123456789
I go to a Grammar School and I think it's just like any other school or college really except it has more middle class kids, less diversity and perhaps better facilities and higher standards and expectations.
Also at college you are probably more free to do what you want. At Grammar the teacher's are stricter.
My friends got a book wacked on her head for talking in class once.
What do you mean by less diversity?

Edit: That clearly depends on your area, doesn't it?
(edited 7 years ago)
What do you mean by less diversity?

Edit: That clearly depends on your area, doesn't it?

What I mean is that there are a lot of white middle class kids in my Grammar school.
And I guess it does but I see more diversity at the non-grammar school in my area...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cookie123456789
What I mean is that there are a lot of white middle class kids in my Grammar school.
And I guess it does but I see more black diversity at the non-grammar school in my area...
Yeah, I get you, but what I was saying is that it depends on your area, like my area's mostly Asians tbh, however it still is diverse as you would see White and Black people at my school. There's not many Black people though......
hi everyone, i have just come back from the 'one day college' and really i still dont know where to go :s-smilie:

the sixth form college
i felt socially inferior (everyone else was talking to people, they seemed to know everyone :colonhash: and i was just wondering around....) but still i made quite a few friends:wink:, i found 2 french people like me :tongue: coool..... and the science center was attached to the university next to it so we went in there and seriously it's huuuuuuuge:K: (like u could fit 100 people in there......serious:^_^:) my biology teacher was sooo funny:ahee: (but i might not have him next year)

people wise..... i have to say i got scared for the first period, but it was fine. the people there were mixed, some were funny and idiot like (which i quite liked because i had some fun times):biggrin: others were very disciplined, shy and well behaved and some very very very talkative:blah:. so i guess the atmosphere is quite nice. Didn't met any rude people or people that didn't care about learning (probably because they are doing subjects they like) but it's so strange :K:

the only problem is that they are doing OCR for the sciences.....and i have been doing AQA so am scared i wont be able to adjust or something. the other problem is the stairs and the hugeness of the building (4 storeys, 3 stairs.......) i got lost 3 times.....but that's fine, i will eventually adjust (dunno why i mention this)

they have a lot of free computers and comfy, quiet areas to work in ur free times, offer work experiences and stuff

the grammar sixth form
teachers were quite strict unlike the college and basically expected you to know everything at GCSE to A* standard (eventhough they only asked for B grades for sciences) so they don't go over these things whereas the college said they will

all the people were either shy/disciplined/(arrogant)/very clever as if they were perfect.....but that might just be my thoughts (i think tooo much in details btw)

they didn't show us around or anything

there you go my experiences so far...... where should i go then.....i'd say the sixth form college but what about the exam boards
EDIT: they both gave me tonnes of homework so i dont get bored over the summer holidays, :biggrin:yooopii (i knoe you think am stupid right now)

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mediaya
i had 'transition sessions' at the grammar school i want to go (these are basically like a day of lesson to get prepared), and seriously i went in there and felt so weird, i felt like 'crap' in between all these clever students, the teacher expected you to know everything (like ur not meant to know anything about further additional science to do alevel chemistry but they just expected you to know :redface:).this day's experience made me want to refuse the offer
the next day was a maths lesson, and that went much better, i made alot of friends (i guess it's easier to make friends there coz they are all clever, nice and sympathetic). the teacher's explained everything to you eventhough we knew it, they were also a bit fun (which is what i am used to, i laugh with teacher's alot and that's how i learn so this day's experience made me want to go there.

tommorow, i am going for a 'find ur feet day' at the sixth form college.....

so yh that what i experienced so far....

I can relate to this ; I had a further maths taster lesson at a girls grammar school and the teacher kept making digs at me because I was from a comprehensive like ' well you really should revise surds if you want to do this course' and kept repeating how ' you need an A* at gcse ' and then she even told me that I don't need to bother doing further maths if i want to be a teacher... it was just absolutely awful because many current students had already done AS maths in year 11 so i already felt like I wasn't good enough.. I was crying when I got home after this taster day and thankfully decided to stay at my state school, and at the end of the day I have good grades and just cause you go to a grammar doesn't mean you're guaranteed good grades- if anything you're more likely to get lower marks for coursework ect as the standard will be much higher there..
Original post by mediaya
hi everyone, i have just come back from the 'one day college' and really i still dont know where to go :s-smilie:

the sixth form college
i felt socially inferior (everyone else was talking to people, they seemed to know everyone :colonhash: and i was just wondering around....) but still i made quite a few friends:wink:, i found 2 french people like me :tongue: coool..... and the science center was attached to the university next to it so we went in there and seriously it's huuuuuuuge:K: (like u could fit 100 people in there......serious:^_^:) my biology teacher was sooo funny:ahee: (but i might not have him next year)

people wise..... i have to say i got scared for the first period, but it was fine. the people there were mixed, some were funny and idiot like (which i quite liked because i had some fun times):biggrin: others were very disciplined, shy and well behaved and some very very very talkative:blah:. so i guess the atmosphere is quite nice. Didn't met any rude people or people that didn't care about learning (probably because they are doing subjects they like) but it's so strange :K:

the only problem is that they are doing OCR for the sciences.....and i have been doing AQA so am scared i wont be able to adjust or something. the other problem is the stairs and the hugeness of the building (4 storeys, 3 stairs.......) i got lost 3 times.....but that's fine, i will eventually adjust (dunno why i mention this)

they have a lot of free computers and comfy, quiet areas to work in ur free times, offer work experiences and stuff

the grammar sixth form
teachers were quite strict unlike the college and basically expected you to know everything at GCSE to A* standard (eventhough they only asked for B grades for sciences) so they don't go over these things whereas the college said they will

all the people were either shy/disciplined/(arrogant)/very clever as if they were perfect.....but that might just be my thoughts (i think tooo much in details btw)

they didn't show us around or anything

there you go my experiences so far...... where should i go then.....i'd say the sixth form college but what about the exam boards

Spoiler

God dammit you wrote a lot, but I read it all, I swear.

In your case it seems as if you were really comfortable with the sixth form college, and tbh I wouldn't worry about the exam board coz GCSE's are COMPLETELY different to A LEVEL's any ways.

I guess you answered your own question, if you want to have a slightly relaxed time throughout the 2 years, go for the college, however you do realise this was only the first day and the shy people could adapt over time and the talkative people could start to misbehave in the college.

Like wise, just the opposite in the grammar school.
God dammit you wrote a lot, but I read it all, I swear.

In your case it seems as if you were really comfortable with the sixth form college, and tbh I wouldn't worry about the exam board coz GCSE's are COMPLETELY different to A LEVEL's any ways.

I guess you answered your own question, if you want to have a slightly relaxed time throughout the 2 years, go for the college, however you do realise this was only the first day and the shy people could adapt over time and the talkative people could start to misbehave in the college.

Like wise, just the opposite in the grammar school.

oh i answered my own questions:K:!! well done me :biggrin:
thanks for reading (i love details, that one reason am doing chem LOL)

yh true people change overtime:^_^:, what i if they become monsters:tongue:
yh i am thinking of going to the college
I think you should consider the fact that the grammar is going to be more strict

my school for example didn't make people stay when they had frees but i know some grammars won't let you just go home so bare that in mind.
also when it came to exam season i took quite a few days off to revise and nothing happened but i can imagine at a grammar you would get into serious trouble
my school was also better just in general at actually helping you and i feel like you can ask for help without people judging you, yet at a grammar i would expect you'd feel a bit silly if you had to get the teacher to explain something if all these clever kids are getting everything right all the time
honestly if you haven't been to a grammar since year 7 then i think adjusting to it would be pretty hard and given this is A-levels you don't want to be stressed even more ...

why is it you want to go to the grammar anyways - is there a certain subject they offer which the college doesn't ? because if you're picking it because its just better in terms of rep then its probably not right for you :smile:
Go to the grammar. 9 times out of 10 they have better teachers.
Yeah, I get you, but what I was saying is that it depends on your area, like my area's mostly Asians tbh, however it still is diverse as you would see White and Black people at my school. There's not many Black people though......

yeah and my point was that in my grammar school there is not diversity (mainly middle class white kids) and in the SAME AREA there is a non-grammar school a short WALK AWAY which has a LOT MORE diversity (because it is not a grammar)

Quick Reply

Latest