The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Lot of money so presume that is our marquee signing for this summer.

For me we just need a CM and LB now but ideally we'd also pick up a back-up RB and a 4th choice CB?

Scenes when you buy Ward-Prowse, Bertrand and Pelle (to replace Benteke)
Original post by swirly
Scenes when you buy Ward-Prowse, Bertrand and Pelle (to replace Benteke)

We don't need to replace Benteke since we have Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Firmino and even Mane could play there if needed.

Bertrand might not be awful? LBs are pretty painful to buy and we've struggled with that position for years.

I think Zielinski will be the CM so probably not looking to raid Southampton for that position.
We don't need to replace Benteke since we have Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Firmino and even Mane could play there if needed.

Bertrand might not be awful? LBs are pretty painful to buy and we've struggled with that position for years.

I think Zielinski will be the CM so probably not looking to raid Southampton for that position.

Bertrand's decent tbf. Would Kieran Gibbs start for you lot?
Original post by swirly
Bertrand's decent tbf. Would Kieran Gibbs start for you lot?

Is he an upgrade defensively on Moreno? Probably not that much.
RE: Mane. We lack pace, which he brings, and we lack goals from behind the front man, which he brings.

Sure, his ratio is probably 1 in 3, but if he was consistent he'd be costing more than £30m in this current market. As it is, he's streaky and blows hot and cold, but he has qualities we are missing. He offers directness, width, pace and strength. He offers goals, too.

Klopp has a penchant for improving players - and if Klopp can boost Mane into scoring 1 in 2, or 1 in 2.5, that'll look like a decent price.
Original post by Mackay
RE: Mane. We lack pace, which he brings, and we lack goals from behind the front man, which he brings.

Sure, his ratio is probably 1 in 3, but if he was consistent he'd be costing more than £30m in this current market. As it is, he's streaky and blows hot and cold, but he has qualities we are missing. He offers directness, width, pace and strength. He offers goals, too.

Klopp has a penchant for improving players - and if Klopp can boost Mane into scoring 1 in 2, or 1 in 2.5, that'll look like a decent price.

I agree.

I'm not gonna lie and say that I wasn't hoping for somebody better than Mané but there's absolutely no reason he can't prosper here.

He's fast and he knows where the goal is. He can go on a mad one and wing a game single handedly at times, and although inconsistent, I'm sure Klopp can really help his development.

It's a steep price but the guy is proven in the PL and as always, I'll be supportive and optimistic :smile:
Hector would be a great left-back purchase and replacement for Moreno.
Mané is a done deal!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36642523

£34 million.
Is he an upgrade defensively on Moreno? Probably not that much.

Gibbs is defensively sound, would be a noticeable upgrade on Moreno. He'll put in 6/10 performances all season with the odd 8/10.

He kept Robben quiet enough. When he got injured vs Bayern and we brought Monreal on, they started targeting that position because they noticed it had got weaker defensively.
Hopefully this latest big money gamble of ours pays off. Mane hasn't got much to live up to in order to be our greatest Senegalese player at least :wink:
Original post by The Roast
Hector would be a great left-back purchase and replacement for Moreno.

He'd add some good height to our backline too. Worryingly we've only really been strongly linked to Chilwell for LB.
Original post by Lúcio

It's a steep price but the guy is proven in the PL and as always, I'll be supportive and optimistic :smile:

I can't help but feel if he was coming from abroad, people would be more excited. He's already being written off in some quarters, which is farcical.
Original post by Mackay
I can't help but feel if he was coming from abroad, people would be more excited. He's already being written off in some quarters, which is farcical.

I guess people feel like it's becoming an annual Southampton raid and they don't regard Mane as an marquee signing as they had their hopes up regarding Gotze. Already I've seen a lot of people on twitter blaming FSG and the transfer comittee for being inept. :lol:
Original post by Mackay

As joker says, it's probably people being pissed off that we're getting Mané instead of Götze.

Like I said, I hoped for more but this man can be an absolute beast and only a fool would write him off.
If Klopp can develop players like Aubameyang and Lewandowski, why can't he do the same with Mané?
It's annoying Mane will miss four January matches for the AFCON. Likewise, Matip will be engaged too. That's two likely starters ineligible for the United match.
Original post by Mackay
It's annoying Mane will miss four January matches for the AFCON. Likewise, Matip will be engaged too. That's two likely starters ineligible for the United match.

Has Matip sorted out his issue with the Cameroon coach? Thought he had been dropped.
Has Matip sorted out his issue with the Cameroon coach? Thought he had been dropped.

Imagine it'll be sorted by then, but he hasn't played for them since November, so that's worth keeping an eye on.
Lot of money so presume that is our marquee signing for this summer.

For me we just need a CM and LB now but ideally we'd also pick up a back-up RB and a 4th choice CB?

Why would we need a CM ?

Can
Henderson
Allen
Lucas
Milner
Grujic

Give me one reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
As joker says, it's probably people being pissed off that we're getting Mané instead of Götze.

Like I said, I hoped for more but this man can be an absolute beast and only a fool would write him off.
If Klopp can develop players like Aubameyang and Lewandowski, why can't he do the same with Mané?

Gotze clearly isn't motivated to play for Liverpool - so why bother? He's happy at Bayern, picking up his wage off the bench. As Klopp said last season, we need hungry players willing to push the train, rather than just hop on a moving one.
Original post by Mackay
Gotze clearly isn't motivated to play for Liverpool - so why bother? He's happy at Bayern, picking up his wage off the bench. As Klopp said last season, we need hungry players willing to push the train, rather than just hop on a moving one.

True - in our current position, only those types of players will come to us which in a sense is great.

I mean let's be honest here, Mané actively chose to move to a club who finished below Soton (and therefore with no Europe) last season. Why would he do that unless he was hungry to develop as a player and help us challenge for top 4?

People complain about us buying from Soton but how bad has it really been? Lovren and Lallana are playing as good as they ever have and Clyne had an amazingly solid season.
Why is buying from Soton such a bad thing when they produce such quality players?

Before anyone mentions Lambert, he only cost £4m and he was bought to be a reserve/emergency player (similar to Caulker in that sense) in a team that didn't play to his strengths.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest