The Student Room Group

Best Physics book for self study?

I have done my A levels in physics but I feel like I need to go through everything from the beginning thoroughly, so that I can fully understand it.

Any ideas what books to get? Something that sums up classical physics in a comprehensible way?

Thanks
Original post by lawlieto
I have done my A levels in physics but I feel like I need to go through everything from the beginning thoroughly, so that I can fully understand it.

Any ideas what books to get? Something that sums up classical physics in a comprehensible way?

Thanks

Why not invest your potential on learning new things? The A-level textbooks not only hardly has anything new to learn from, it sometimes provides false explanations for the origin of certain concepts. Are you thinking of studying Physics at university?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Absent Agent
Why not invest your potential on learning new things? The A-level textbooks not only hardly has anything new to learn from, it sometimes provides false explanations for the origin of certain concepts. Are you thinking of studying Physics at university?

I hate A level books because they are incomprehensible and inaccurate, which is why I'm asking what to read :smile: I want to make sure I have a very good understanding of the basics and A level didn't help much with that...
I have an offer for chemistry, but I'm thinking of changing my course to physics.

I've read some of Stephen Hawking's books, they were awesome, and I love astronomy, so I kind of invest in learning new things.

What about the Feynman Lectures?
I hate A level books because they are incomprehensible and inaccurate, which is why I'm asking what to read :smile: I want to make sure I have a very good understanding of the basics and A level didn't help much with that...
I have an offer for chemistry, but I'm thinking of changing my course to physics.

I've read some of Stephen Hawking's books, they were awesome, and I love astronomy, so I kind of invest in learning new things.

The best thing someone could do in prep for a physics degree imo is to make sure they can do all of C1-4, FP1-3 and as much of mechanics as you can get through of A-level maths + FM

A-level physics doesnt really teach anything important as its missing so much of a key part of that topic (mainly missing the maths) so dont worry about things not being that clear at alevel. All the basic physics you need to know will be covered in first year but not all the maths will

imo you wont be well equipped enough to get a good grip the feynman lectures so itll be a bit pointless 'reading' them

If you have any questions about doing a physics degree just shoot me a message (i've just finished my first year)
(edited 7 years ago)

In that case, as the other poster has pointed out, you should first develop your mathematical knowledge before studying systematically for physics. I've not read the Feynman lectures, and I really don't know what readership they are aimed at, but I've heard they are very well explained. If you open any classical-physics books you see that at least a knowledge of elementary calculus (integration and differentiation), differential equations, and vector calculus is assumed throughout.
Reply 5
Original post by madmadmax321
The best thing someone could do in prep for a physics degree imo is to make sure they can do all of C1-4, FP1-3 and as much of mechanics as you can get through of A-level maths + FM

A-level physics doesnt really teach anything important as its missing so much of a key part of that topic (mainly missing the maths) so dont worry about things not being that clear at alevel. All the basic physics you need to know will be covered in first year but not all the maths will

imo you wont be well equipped enough to get a good grip the feynman lectures so itll be a bit pointless 'reading' them

If you have any questions about doing a physics degree just shoot me a message (i've just finished my first year)

I've done well in C1-4 and Fp1-3, I've only done M1 and M2. My maths knowledge is way above my physics knowledge so that won't be a problem :smile: But it really bothers me that I don't have a good understanding of physics.
Reply 6
Original post by Absent Agent
In that case, as the other poster has pointed out, you should first develop your mathematical knowledge before studying systematically for physics. I've not read the Feynman lectures, and I really don't know what readership they are aimed at, but I've heard they are very well explained. If you open any classical-physics books you see that at least a knowledge of elementary calculus (integration and differentiation), differential equations, and vector calculus is assumed throughout.

I think I have the mathematical knowledge so that won't be a problem. I really just want to have a grasp of concepts in physics.
I've done well in C1-4 and Fp1-3, I've only done M1 and M2. My maths knowledge is way above my physics knowledge so that won't be a problem :smile: But it really bothers me that I don't have a good understanding of physics.

What areas of physics? As some you cant gain any understanding of until gaining knowledge of more advanced maths

Also if you have definitely decide to change to physics you could get the recommended text and work through some of that
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by madmadmax321
What areas of physics? As some you cant gain any understanding of until gaining knowledge of more advanced maths

To be honest, I am most interested in quantum physics, but it just seems logical to get through classical physics first. I also want to develop my maths during the summer, so learning more advanced maths is not a problem.
If you have strong mathematical background (i.e sound knowledge of calculus), then I would recommend going through books like:
- University Physics by Young and Freedman. It has simple explanations of topic, well worked examples and exercises to push your understanding. 13th edition includes bridging problems, which definitely improves your lateral thinking.
- Feynman's lectures in Physics Volume 1-3. This is probably the most beautiful book in introductory physics ever written. (Drawback: It does not have exercises so try to study it along with other books.) A pdf version is also available in google.

If you want some more advanced stuff then I would recommend you to take a break and study mathematics. A good book is: - Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering by K. F. Riley and others. I believe this is a must have book for someone looking forward to studying physics or studying physics at University Level.

Good Luck studying!!!
To be honest, I am most interested in quantum physics, but it just seems logical to get through classical physics first. I also want to develop my maths during the summer, so learning more advanced maths is not a problem.

You wont really cover quantum mechanics properly until 2nd year but note you will probably never actually intuitively understand quantum mechanics

My best recommendation would be to get the recommended text and start working through the classical and electro parts of that then, the physics should be very similar to what you did at a-level but uses many aspects of calculus, differential equations etc (note dependent on the content of the text dont go anywhere near maxwells equations do the 'simpler' stuff only for electro)

Also note that you will have to get used to deriving equations, at my uni we were expected to be able to derive every physics equation we covered and NO equations were given in the exams

As for maths this depends on what degree you want to do, are you going to do straight physics, theoretical physics or mathematical physics?

Last biit is when you say youre good at the maths, make sure that isnt youre good at doing past paper questions, make sure that you actually understand what the maths is representing
Reply 11
Feynman's books.
Original post by djpailo
Feynman's books.

This

/thread.
If I were you, I'd go on eBay and just buy a load of dirt cheap books on Physics by various Physicists (as a bonus you can focus on topics that you are interested in). These will usually cover stuff done in A level and will often go way further too. Some people like to go for the "pop" physics authors like Cox, but if I were you, go for the well known people in Physics circles; like Feynman (dont go or his lectures though--they are better for referencing and are bloody expensive), Hawking, Einstein, Krauss, Weinberg, all are good (but go for what you are most interested in).
As an extra, Al-Khalili has some great books too that are easily accessible
I think I have the mathematical knowledge so that won't be a problem. I really just want to have a grasp of concepts in physics.

I believe you've been recommended good books but here are my suggestions. In each case, I would strongly suggest you use both books simultaneously as one of them tends to follow the modern axiomatic approach in its methods and the other follow the historical development with explaining the origins of concepts without making any implicit assumptions. While I don't want to say one is one is better than other, universities use the axiomatic approach in their teaching styles, which is almost all academic textbooks follow. The other textbook is supposed to be used by Philosophers of Science or Physics and you should therefore use it as a supplement and for your own curiosity.

1.The Physics of Quantum Mechanics
and/or
Quantum Mechanics
2.Quantum Concepts in Physics: An Alternative Approach to the Understanding of Quantum Mechanics

1. An Introduction to Mechanics
and/or
Classical Mechanics (5th Edition)
2.Theoretical Concepts in Physics, Second Edition: An Alternative View of Theoretical Reasoning in Physics
thank you, i'll look into these :smile:

No worries! You can also access the PDF versions of those books (and most of other books you have in mind) on Bookzz.org. Just write the name of the book in the search box.

Quick Reply