The Student Room Group

arrested for GBH but charges dropped

I was arrested for GBH but the charges were dropped and no further action was taken. I want to go college and study children's care, learning and development but the course requires an enhanced DBS check. Does any one know if it will effect me getting into the college or not? considering the charges were dropped, thanks.
You need to ask a legal adviser to be surer but logically I would have thought that if the charges were dropped that's that. You have no record.
If they definitely didnt take any action i.e caution , then there will be nothing to show.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
If they definitely didnt take any action i.e caution , then there will be nothing to show.

oh okay then thankyou! i just need to stop stressing out! im just getting my self into a pickle because of it
Reply 4
Original post by pickup
You need to ask a legal adviser to be surer but logically I would have thought that if the charges were dropped that's that. You have no record.

okay then yeah thankyou i think i will, i will talk to an online legal advicer sometime today.
I think the local police can disclose it if they want to, but can u tell me what happens please"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
It could show up.

An enhanced search can show up anything deemed relevant
About 10 years ago while at university I was arrested for common assault due to a case of mistaken identity(!), no charges. about 3 years ago when I began working in schools I had this same worry due to the enhanced dbs. Nothing ever showed up and I'm at the end of my NQT year :smile: don't worry!
Original post by 1jonam16
I think the local police can disclose it if they want to, but can u tell me what happens please"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Disclose what? He has already been asked if they did anything in terms of cautions or sanction.
Reply 9
Disclose what? He has already been asked if they did anything in terms of cautions or sanction.

The arrest
OP in certain circumstances the police can keep additional information (apologies joephillips).

1. The police can disclose this information if deemed relevant and they have kept it.
2. The only way to find this out is to check with the police.
3. As they they dropped charges there is no caution or conviction according to you. So you were not sanctioned, which is the part you would generally be concerned with.
4. If they wnat to disclose this additional information, then they have a test to pass (relevance truth and proportionality) in making that decision and you can dispute that and ask for its removal before any certificate is sent. Check with them first. U would still expect it to come back clean
5.Nacro’s Resettlement Advice Service on 0300 123 1999 or [email protected].
https://www.nacro.org.uk/resettlement-advice-service/support-for-individuals/jobs-and-volunteering/criminal-record-checks/#certificate
There is also an independent monitor you can speak to. [email protected]
6. When you apply to UCAS and if they ask about criminal records just answer truthfully. I cant remember the exact wording.
7. In the unlikely event that the police did disclose, then you would be given an opportunity to explain to the course organisers. Its common for them to get applicants with a criminal record(you do not have one). You simply tell the truth and emphasise the fact no charges were brought or action taken. I really wouldn't worry, but if you wnat further reassurance then contact the people above.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
What would there be to show up? There was no sanction either from the police or a formal conviction.

On an enhanced check it is possible for that to come up but it depends on the whole scenario.

Any information recorded can come up on an enhanced check

The op could contact the police and ask them to put a note next to the arrest record so it would not show up.

I believe it goes back to Ian Huntley who had been investigated before and would not of been employed if the information was available.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips
On an enhanced check it is possible for that to come up but it depends on the whole scenario.

Any information recorded can come up on an enhanced check

The op could contact the police and ask them to put a note next to the arrest record so it would not show up.

I believe it goes back to Ian Huntley who had been investigated before and would not of been employed if the information was available.

Thanks I looked it up and see theres a heading additional information. The Nacro link explains it.
Original post by tommycee24
I was arrested for GBH but the charges were dropped and no further action was taken. I want to go college and study children's care, learning and development but the course requires an enhanced DBS check. Does any one know if it will effect me getting into the college or not? considering the charges were dropped, thanks.

Can you inform us of what happened next?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you were arrested and booked for it it will show
Danm bro saying thing happened to me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending