The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

This thread is for people who are studying A2 Level Maths (and Further Maths) and is the successor of the Year 12 Maths Help Thread which was created last year. Although I hope to be relaxing much of the time, I understand that other people want to keep their maths skills refreshed over the summer.

The rules are the same as those of the Year 12 Maths Help Thread:

Rules

1. Keep the discussion related to maths although I do not mind the occasional physics query.
2. Please post your full working as this will enable a helper to detect any errors in your method.
3. If you want to help somebody, don't post full solutions. Your help is meant to act as a springboard, not a featherbed as giving full solutions is unlikely to actually make somebody learn.

Helpers:
If you want to be a helper, please state your intention to become one and place a brief reason why.

List:

Ano123
B_9710
SeanFM
metrize
RDKGames
Zacken
RickmanAlways
Sonila1
TimGB
desante08
ValerieKR
EconNinja
Relevant Links:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll volunteer to be a helper. My purpose in this life is to serve...maths to people?
Reply 2
Original post by Ano123
I'll volunteer to be a helper. My purpose in this life is to serve...maths to people?

Ano, your presence as a helper will very much be welcomed. Perhaps you can send some of your STEP style integration questions once I refresh my C4 integration; it's been four months since I learnt it.
Reply 3
Original post by Palette
Ano, your presence as a helper will very much be welcomed. Perhaps you can send some of your STEP style integration questions once I refresh my C4 integration; it's been four months since I learnt it.

Perhaps it will be more in place in this thread.
Sure I can be a helper. Starting Maths at uni in sept. and I don't mind keeping my skills sharp over the summer c:
Reply 5
I'll certainly be around to help. I think I was quite a frequent poster on the year 12 thread, so may as well keep it going. It's what I do.
Reply 6
I'll get the ball rolling. If anyone is out there who has done some trigonometry and want to put their knowledge to the test, here's a tough question they can try if they want to. (Probably not many for another few months at least). I made it up a while ago.
Sin 3.png
For the solving the equation the question should really state that 0<x<90.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ano123
I'll get the ball rolling. If anyone is out there who has done some trigonometry and want to put their knowledge to the test, here's a tough question they can try if they want to. (Probably not many for another few months at least). I made it up a while ago.
Sin 3.png

You just love trig with radicals dont you :tongue:
Reply 8
Here we go again.
Reply 9
Original post by RDKGames
You just love trig with radicals dont you :tongue:

I do. I don't know what it is, I just love seeing all the square roots all over the place and finding exact values for trig functions for non trivial angles. This question is basically using compound angle formula.
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
Here we go again.

Yep.
Dont mind helping, doing further this year now
I can help with S4 stuff.. though anyone who is studying S4 is highly unlikely to need my help.

Also D2 if my textbook ever arrives :s-smilie:
Reply 13
I am finding the questions in the C3 Heinemann textbook incredibly uninspiring.

C4 vectors is a bit too boring to finish off right now plus whenever I see the term 'position vector' I instantly think of mechanics.
My D2 textbook has arrived :excited: I feel like a 6th former again. :moon:
Original post by SeanFM
My D2 textbook has arrived :excited: I feel like a 6th former again. :moon:

Right after D2's exam today, how appropriate. :tongue:
Original post by Ano123

For the solving the equation the question should really state that 0<x<90.

Here they are! Fixed the problem with images not uploading too. :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17

Spoiler

Good job. You made it a bit more difficult though when you found cos15. It is easier to just use cos15=cos(45-30), you had to deal with the nested radical by doing this.
Original post by Ano123
Good job. You made it a bit more difficult though when you found cos15. It is easier to just use cos15=cos(45-30), you had to deal with the nested radical by doing this.

Dammit :tongue:
Reply 19

Spoiler

How did you solve and find the value of sin18 ?

Quick Reply