The Student Room Group

Private or internal examination PLEASE HELP!!

Hello guys,
I am a yr 12 As-level student. I've sat my last As exams around 2 weeks ago. I want to re-take this year and change one of my subjects and add 2 new ones(I am doing 4 right now). I don't want to carry on to yr 13. I think i failed 2 of my subjects because the exam wasn't that good. but even if i haven't i want to retake.

Now, there is actually a possibility that my school may or may not kick me out because of my results. I dont mind the school but it is not the best place to study science A-levels. I was looking for some alternatives just in case I get kicked out. I saw private/external examinations but couldn't find enough information about it. It sounds very good since i am suffering from severe social anxiety and i dont like going to school but am wanting to go to university. I self-diagnosed myself a couple of months ago and decided to get treatment so i am going to a psychiatrist in a couple of weeks.

Anyways, if the background is done, my questions are:
1) how do you do external/private examinations?
2)can you choose the subjects and the qualifications you want?
3)what are the pros and cons?
4)is studying in a college better than doing all your subjects externally with self study without going to college?
5)do all uni's look at you the same way as they look at regular applicants?
6)how, when and where do you apply to unis after you finish your As exams?

It would be great if you could answer my questions. I'll probably add more questions.
Original post by Bukalemun123

Anyways, if the background is done, my questions are:
1) how do you do external/private examinations?
2)can you choose the subjects and the qualifications you want?
3)what are the pros and cons?
4)is studying in a college better than doing all your subjects externally with self study without going to college?
5)do all uni's look at you the same way as they look at regular applicants?
6)how, when and where do you apply to unis after you finish your As exams?

1. You contact schools/colleges or other exam centres in your area and ask if they will accept you as a private candidate for the exams you want to take. You pay the fee (that can be expensive) and do the exams. There is advice for private candidates on examiner web sites.
2. You can self study pretty much anything you want but most centres only offer the exams their regular full time students need so availability of a centre may limit your choice. Any subject that has assessed practicals or coursework can be difficult or expensive for private candidates to arrange.
3. Cons: lack of teacher support for your learning and cost.
4. For most people, study in college is the the best option.
5. They only care about your ability to successfully complete their course which they judge mostly from the grades you achieve not where or how you study for them.
6. You apply through UCAS the same as everyone else but as an independent candidate and not with support through the school/college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
1. You contact schools/colleges or other exam centres in your area and ask if they will accept you as a private candidate for the exams you want to take. You pay the fee (that can be expensive) and do the exams. There is advice for private candidates on examiner web sites.
2. You can self study pretty much anything you want but most centres only offer the exams their regular full time students need so availability of a centre may limit your choice. Any subject that has assessed practicals or coursework can be difficult or expensive for private candidates to arrange.
3. Cons: lack of teacher support for your learning and cost.
4. For most people, study in college is the the best option.
5. They only care about your ability to successfully complete their course which they judge mostly from the grades you achieve not where or how you study for them.
6. You apply through UCAS the same as everyone else but as an independent candidate and not with support through the school/college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for your response, but i have one more question,
you said all this process is going to cot a lot, how much would it cost roughly?

it would be great if you could answer this aswell.
Original post by Bukalemun123
Thank you very much for your response, but i have one more question,
you said all this process is going to cot a lot, how much would it cost roughly?

it would be great if you could answer this aswell.

You will need to buy text books for self study. If you find books are not enough you may decide to invest in a distance learning package. You may find you need to pay for tutor support (£40-50 or more per hour)

Unless you can negotiate with a college willing to do it for more or less the exam fee then budget for £50 for each exam paper if you are lucky, could be more. If your subjects include practicals or coursework then there would be additional costs. Not all examiners accept course work from private candidates. It's hard to say what practical exams might cost for sciences as the specifications are new and centres have not announced their prices, but it will run into several hundred pounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest