The Student Room Group

What do you regret (A levels)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SeanFM
Couldn't put an application in for an Oxford maths summer school or taster session or something like that because I didn't have 5 or more A*s at GCSEs. Gutted. But as you say, I'm at uni so.. :dontknow:

ahhh I get you - I only have 4A*'s at gcse so I wouldn't have been allowed on that course either - I'm surprised str even allowed me to make an account
Original post by Amanda414
What do you regret not doing in A levels in terms of revision and everything?

Not working hard enough
Original post by fefssdf
M2 instead of S1 - are you mad ! I'd rather do S1,S2,S3,S4 than mechanics again

I know - I said I regret doing M2 rather than S1. :tongue:
Reply 23
Studying A-levels was the hardest time of my life. It was huge step for me. I didn't do so well and I really regret it. However I still managed to get into university and I have just completed my second year and I am on track for a 2:1. What I learnt is try your absolute best in anything ! I also think I should have done Btec. Instead of spending time in the library I was wasting time playing PS3. It was my own fault and I just wish I worked harder. However that's the past now and I've learnt my mistake.
Not starting revision earlier, I honestly think id have started at Feb all my grades would've been much higher than what I think they will be
I regret taking physics to A2 instead of biology because I found it really hard in AS and my degree doesn't contain a lot of physics (thank god) but intersects with biological science, pharmacy and pharmacology.
Not putting in as much effort at AS physics than at A2 physics. I had my last exam today ( physics unit 5) and it did go well hopefully.
Tbh after realising that my uni course is better off with a btec, I think it is fair to say I regret picking a levels as a whole.
I wish i did something else though. I love philosophy and wish I did it or maybe even r.e
I wish I did sociology instead of psychology.
Reply 28
Honestly... I regret the teachers I had. Most of them were too busy with 'exam technique' rather than the actual teaching of topics and trying to help us understand. I could never wrap my head around 'exam technique', as a student that came in the UK for A Levels from a EU country with a completely different system, so despite having the knowledge, I failed to present it in such a way to please the marker, which lead to me having awful grades. I guess I'd do more past papers if I could.

I have now finished my first year at university with a First though, so in the end, having the knowledge and a good learning habit proved to be more important than 'the technique'.
Taking AS ICT. I did well but it was mind-numbingly boring, I learned almost nothing new and the teachers couldn't care less. Complete waste of time.
Reply 30
Chemistry chemistry chemistry chemistry chemistry chemistry chemistry chemistry chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Taking ICT what a load of s***
Not taking them seriously overall
Original post by HyruleTenshi
Taking AS ICT. I did well but it was mind-numbingly boring, I learned almost nothing new and the teachers couldn't care less. Complete waste of time.

Our teacher couldn't even do 3/4 of the coursework herself, she got fired after about 6 months and we didn't have a teacher for the rest so I had to self teach myself how to do it all. The ICT theory is so outdated as well, the books are from like 2002. A level ICT is shambles really.
All I regret in terms of a levels is not revising enough when i was in my AS year as it caused me to have to retake two exams this year
Quite a lot.

Picking English at AS. I slept through quite a lot of lessons.

Not revising for S2 until the day before the exam becuase 'it's so easy'

Not revising For economics AS the day before the exam because 'I'm gonna fail anyway'.

I took too long to ask to change from english to further maths and was rejected and had to wait a whole year.

Doing too much work for core maths early.

Original post by fefssdf
ahhh I get you - I only have 4A*'s at gcse so I wouldn't have been allowed on that course either - I'm surprised str even allowed me to make an account

I think I'm the only one on TSR with no A*'s :tongue:
Original post by NotNotBatman
Quite a lot.

Picking English at AS. I slept through quite a lot of lessons.

Not revising for S2 until the day before the exam becuase 'it's so easy'

Not revising For economics AS the day before the exam because 'I'm gonna fail anyway'.

I took too long to ask to change from english to further maths and was rejected and had to wait a whole year.

Doing too much work for core maths early.

I think I'm the only one on TSR with no A*'s :tongue:

I think you're stepping out into the unknown mate ; no A*'s ... i smell a peasant :wink:
Taking Geography - seriously struggled with it this year and completely failed the exam (AS)

I really think I should have taken Spanish instead to go along with French :frown:
I don't really regret anything. I couldn't be reasonably expected to do anything more. Everything went well, except for this one question, this one History question... There simply weren't any interpretations for it in the book! Even if I had known the question beforehand, I don't think I could have done much better than I did. I was fortunate to have memorised all the theoretical and general arguments, but I didn't have any specific names of all the splinter factions. I hope it won't be a big deal.

The thing that gets me though, is that a couple people somehow knew that that question was going to turn up. Despite it being a reformed A-level, they decided to look through the old spec past papers, and they concluded that this would show up because they'd never asked anything about it before. I think they just got lucky on a risky guess.
I regret picking economics. Worst subject ever.
Original post by Muttski
I regret picking economics. Worst subject ever.

Noooooooo! It took me ages, but now I love it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply