The Student Room Group

GCSEs 2016 - have they, overall, gone better/worse than you expected?

Just want to know if people generally thought they achieved their predicted grades or not. Whether the exams were easy or difficult; if their expecting higher results than they initially thought they would get, or lower results results than they thought they would get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Definitely think I've done a lot worse than I could have done, but oh well. As long as I pass them all I'll be happy :biggrin:
I expected science to go a lot better than it did because I was aiming for two A*s, but now it seems as if I'd be very lucky to scrape an A ): ...

Everything else went super fine though, hoping that results day is good ^.^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by luciie
Definitely think I've done a lot worse than I could have done, but oh well. As long as I pass them all I'll be happy :biggrin:

Same. It was unfortunate too, because I was hoping I would revise months prior to the exams. That never happened, instead I did all the revision the nights before. Could've done better. What were you predicted, by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by wolfslayer1
I expected science to go a lot better than it did because I was aiming for two A*s, but now it seems as if I'd be very lucky to scrape an A ): ...

Everything else went super fine though, hoping that results day is good ^.^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm dreading the science results. Did you do core, additional or triple?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aamna-
Yeah, I'm dreading the science results. Did you do core, additional or triple?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did double, so that's core + additional right?

Either way it was *******s
Reply 6
I did double, so that's core + additional right?

Either way it was *******s

That P2 was insane, I completely ****ed it up. What are you predicted in science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aamna-
That P2 was insane, I completely ****ed it up. What are you predicted in science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For me P4 was the worst -____- , OCR is the worst exam board for science because their wording is ridiculous

I'm predicted AA in science, was hoping for A*A* so I put in a loooootttttt of work only to turn up to the exam not actually knowing what the question was asking ;/ haha
Reply 8
I did my GCSEs last year and went to school on results' day thinking that I didn't do that well (according to my admittedly very high standards), but I exceeded my expectations greatly. I think students tend to focus on their mistakes too much before exam day leading to a lower expectation of one's results.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palette
I did my GCSEs last year and went to school on results' day thinking that I didn't do that well, but I exceeded my expectations greatly. I think students tend to focus on their mistakes too much before exam day leading to a lower expectation of one's results.

Can I ask what you got vs. what you thought you would get? (:
Can I ask what you got vs. what you thought you would get? (:

I thought I'd get 8 A*s but ended up getting 13.
Original post by Palette
I thought I'd get 8 A*s but ended up getting 13.

Wow, nice going!

Your revision techniques must have been highly effective, well done ^.^ :congrats:
Wow, nice going!

Your revision techniques must have been highly effective, well done ^.^ :congrats:

My time allocation skills in hindsight were good but there was an eight day period from May 1 to May 8 or so when I didn't do that much revision as I spent too much time on TSR exam discussion threads. I also had bouts of luck in my English Literature exams. Two things I would not recommend is 1) not doing any past papers for a subject and 2) starting proper revision for an exam on the day before or on the day which I did for some exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
I could have done better
I had the opportunity to get A's and B's. I did almost no revision and probably have C's and a few B's.
Original post by Palette
My time allocation skills in hindsight were good but there was a ten day period from May 1 to May 8 or so when I didn't do that much revision as I spent too much time on TSR exam discussion threads. I also had bouts of luck in my English Literature exams. One thing I would not recommend is 1) not doing any past papers for a subject and 2) starting proper revision for an exam on the day before or on the day which I did for some exams.

Aah I see haha
So when you say 'proper' revision, what type of revision were you doing like before it got serious (I'm curious because I want to make sure I get AS right - my GCSE revision was organised but all over the place with too many last minute adjustments)??
Reply 16
Original post by Palette
My time allocation skills in hindsight were good but there was an eight day period from May 1 to May 8 or so when I didn't do that much revision as I spent too much time on TSR exam discussion threads. I also had bouts of luck in my English Literature exams. One thing I would not recommend is 1) not doing any past papers for a subject and 2) starting proper revision for an exam on the day before or on the day which I did for some exams.

I did neither of those things for the majority of my GCSEs. I'm doomed. Well, I brought this upon my myself - darn my procrastination habits.
Reply 17
Original post by *JustARandomGuy*
I had the opportunity to get A's and B's. I did almost no revision and probably have C's and a few B's.

Just wondering - did you plan on not doing any revision from the start; were you not that concerned about the grades? Or did you actually want the higher grades?
In general, I think the exams went definitely better than expected! My predicted grades were generally Bs, carried on from the travesty that was Year 10. The teachers had faith in me that I could achieve higher, which I believed is and will be be the case during results day.

For me P4 was the worst -____- , OCR is the worst exam board for science because their wording is ridiculous

Is that the P4P5P6 exam or the B4C4P4 exam? I did the latter and personally, I found P4 to be okay, especially the 6 marker on Radioactive Decay. You are right in hindsight, the wording is questionable on their exams :tongue:
Original post by Evilstr99
In general, I think the exams went definitely better than expected! My predicted grades were generally Bs, carried on from the travesty that was Year 10. The teachers had faith in me that I could achieve higher, which I believed is and will be be the case during results day.

Is that the P4P5P6 exam or the B4C4P4 exam? I did the latter and personally, I found P4 to be okay, especially the 6 marker on Radioactive Decay. You are right in hindsight, the wording is questionable on their exams :tongue:

I did the BCP4 exam and everything was FINE until that damn 6 marker!! I definitely got 0 marks on that so I am just praying that my Section D was top notch because I'm really not looking to get a bad grade in science ):

Quick Reply