The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - 28th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
Out of curiosity how are gb decided for this unit? Do they take into account everyone's section A regardless of option and then somehow account for the option paper later on or what

On their website they list grade boundaries per option out of 72, but I don't know if there are set boundaries for the first section and it's just for ease of use that they add them together or if it is the total mark that goes towards your grade and the options have different boundaries across both papers.
Original post by Mattematics
I believe they put the marks in a hat and do a lucky dip.

Wouldn't surprise me if this was the case with AQA :wink:
Original post by marioman
The Grade A and Grade E boundaries are set separately for the Nuclear/Thermal paper and each of the option papers. They are added together to give the Grade A and Grade E boundaries for the unit as a whole (depending on which option you took). Then the rest of the boundaries (A*, B-D) are then automatically calculated.

Ah right, thanks :smile:
Original post by GCSEHELPPLS
for the mass defect, i didn't see the more accurate atomic unit values for protons and neutrons so i used the 1.673 and 1.675 *10*-27 kg respectively - how many marks will i lose for this due to lack of accuracy -(i got 125 instead of 128 mev due to the said lack of accuracy)

Sorry I'm very worried any help appreciated

Did we get given accurate atomic values for the protons and neutrons? I just used the same method as you above and got 125MeV assuming the extra 3 missing MeV were just down to the different methods used.
Original post by Wasess786
No its still a real image

would real at infinity give me the mark?
Original post by koolgurl14
What do you think the GB for applied going to be ? and how did u find it?

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO DID APPLIED. I found it slightly harder than last year's. I had to leave out a couple of questions and I only half-attempted the six markers, and I want an A. In an ideal world it'd be 55 for an A but I'm worried that's optimistic. What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1105
Original post by palacefloor
would real at infinity give me the mark?

Probably not, the image would only be at infinity if the object was placed at. In this case the image would NOT also be magnified, so its really one or the other from infinity/magnified. And unfortunately in our case it was magnified.
Was the specific charge 1.8x10^11 Ckg^-1 and if this is wrong how many marks out of 4 will i get
For the ideal gas one, it says that the gas is such that 1 mole has or cover 0.24m^3 volume. Why would this be in the question for you not to use it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yo12345
For the ideal gas one, it says that the gas is such that 1 mole has or cover 0.24m^3 volume. Why would this be in the question for you not to use it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can use it, it's just a ratio they obtained using the ideal gas equation. Gives you the same answer.
Original post by -jordan-
You can use it, it's just a ratio they obtained using the ideal gas equation. Gives you the same answer.

Density = mass of one molecule / 0.24 in this case?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Wouldn't surprise me if this was the case with AQA :wink:

Ah right, thanks :smile:

Hey, what did you get for efficiency on last question of applied?

I probably got this question wrong, but I'm sure I've seen one with different values (same Q). How many marks would I gain with my method?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yo12345
I probably got this question wrong, but I'm sure I've seen one with different values (same Q). How many marks would I gain with my method?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Method for which? Mols or the density? Density is the correct method if you mean number of mols * molar mass for the mass
Method for which? Mols or the density? Density is the correct method if you mean number of mols * molar mass for the mass

My method was to find mass of one molecule (molar mass/Na) and divide that by 0.24

Posted from TSR Mobile
Predictions for A* turning points boundary out of 35, anyone? Most people in my class said turning points was hard this year but the compulsory nuclear physics section A was nice
Original post by kelvin1338
Predictions for A* turning points boundary out of 35, anyone? Most people in my class said turning points was hard this year but the compulsory nuclear physics section A was nice

28? And 32 in Section A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yo12345
My method was to find mass of one molecule (molar mass/Na) and divide that by 0.24

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Avogadro is the number of particles in one mole. But the molar mass is the mass of one mole. So you've found the mass of one particle, not the whole gas. I'd say you've most likely dropped one mark.
The Avogadro is the number of particles in one mole. But the molar mass is the mass of one mole. So you've found the mass of one particle, not the whole gas. I'd say you've most likely dropped one mark.

Out of 2? Not too bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
1- Is the unit of J/kgC (C= degrees celsius) correct for the specific heat capacity?

2- ASTRO: Q1) was it 0.9 or 0.18? So did we take the given focal point of 0.15 as (fe) or as (fo)?

3- ASTRO: - Was the 3rd star "41-Aries..." The furthest one?
- In the essay, which region did each star belong to?

Please in your reply, let me know how confident you are in your answers for these questions.
Original post by FireBLue97
Hi thanku was this a three marker btw

for this i didnt know if to calculate the corrected count rate ? as it didnt specify corrected on the count rate at the source ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending