The Student Room Group

Am I the only person left who still believes in Jeremy Corbyn?

The amount of coverage his alleged need to leave "for the sake of the party" that has been given by the (very biased) media is borderline ridiculous now. Really, people can think for themselves...

As for ripping apart the party, I'm under the impression that the members who are openly voicing their lack of faith for their democratically voted leader, and even quitting due to this, is what is destroying the party. Since Jeremy Corbyn was elected the party really needed to sort themselves out, and that failure to do so does not lie with Corbyn, but with the rest of the party, especially at a time like this.

I feel as though his apparent failure to campaign effectively for remaining has become an excuse to try and overthrow him, which many disloyal members of the Labour party have wanted to do from the start, with no valid reason other than the fact that he has taken the party slightly more to the left as opposed to the middle-ish position they were unfortunately in a few years ago.

Just voicing my opinion, idk, would be nice to here others' thoughts :smile:

(Also let's not make this into an angry thread, yeah? I'm all up for healthy debates but these political threads can get nasty and I'd rather this one not- it doesn't prove anything anyway. We want to be convinced, not kicked down :biggrin: !)
Original post by redherring321
The amount of coverage his alleged need to leave "for the sake of the party" that has been given by the (very biased) media is borderline ridiculous now. Really, people can think for themselves...

As for ripping apart the party, I'm under the impression that the members who are openly voicing their lack of faith for their democratically voted leader, and even quitting due to this, is what is destroying the party. Since Jeremy Corbyn was elected the party really needed to sort themselves out, and that failure to do so does not lie with Corbyn, but with the rest of the party, especially at a time like this.

I feel as though his apparent failure to campaign effectively for remaining has become an excuse to try and overthrow him, which many disloyal members of the Labour party have wanted to do from the start, with no valid reason other than the fact that he has taken the party slightly more to the left as opposed to the middle-ish position they were unfortunately in a few years ago.

Just voicing my opinion, idk, would be nice to here others' thoughts :smile:

(Also let's not make this into an angry thread, yeah? I'm all up for healthy debates but these political threads can get nasty and I'd rather this one not- it doesn't prove anything anyway. We want to be convinced, not kicked down :biggrin: !)

Labour are facing complete political annihilation at the next election if Corbyn stays leader. Why do you value Corbyn being party leader over having a Labour government?
Reply 2
The majority of the MPs that voted against him never accepted him as leader, despite the landslide victory he had for party leader. They faily to realised that the thousands of people that joined Labour in order to vote for him are the very people they will lose in the election if he goes. People cared enough about him being party leader to pay money to join in order to be able to vote.

I want another election. I want them to get the message that Jeremy Corbyn is the direction that the public want Labour to go since apparently they didn't get it the first time
Keep up like that and you'll make shadow chancellor.
Original post by Moura
The majority of the MPs that voted against him never accepted him as leader, despite the landslide victory he had for party leader. They faily to realised that the thousands of people that joined Labour in order to vote for him are the very people they will lose in the election if he goes. People cared enough about him being party leader to pay money to join in order to be able to vote.

I want another election. I want them to get the message that Jeremy Corbyn is the direction that the public want Labour to go since apparently they didn't get it the first time

No Corbynites fail to realise that to win an election you need to appeal to the aspirational lower middle classes which is why they spend their lives hating on Tony Blair, who was literally the most successful Labour politician of the modern era.
Reply 5
Labour will get annihilated with Corbyn at the helm in the general election. If Labour's ultimate vision is to go further left it could have happened gradually. Regardless of my opinion, leading a party without the support of your MPs must be really difficult and doesn't look good so my guy should really just step down.
Reply 6
Since Jeremy Corbyn was elected the party really needed to sort themselves out, and that failure to do so does not lie with Corbyn, but with the rest of the party, especially at a time like this.

The leader sets the direction.

He hasn't.

I'm sure he's a reasonable guy, but he can't lead his way out of a paper bag.

The parliamentarians who are trying oust him are doing so based on reality. Yeah, he has a popular vote, but the party will be decimated at the next election unless he goes, the MPs know that.

If you want idealism, fine. But don't expect it to give you anything. All you're doing is handing the Conservatives the election (and not just one).
Hi, thanks all for the replies (supporting and not). I like what people are saying about idealism a lot. I'm get that people want a Labour government over conservative (?), with or without Jeremy Corbyn (?).

For me, I feel like Labour party hasn't been the same for years now, and that move to the left has put it back where it should be. It's like, Jeremy Corbyn hasn't just improved it for me, he's brought the real Labour back. It could all go to pot, yes, but I don't think we should settle for an easy second best when we've finally got back what we've wanted for so long. This opportunity might not come about again for a very long time.

Thoughts? :h:
Reply 8
Hi, thanks all for the replies (supporting and not). I like what people are saying about idealism a lot. I'm get that people want a Labour government over conservative (?), with or without Jeremy Corbyn (?).

For me, I feel like Labour party hasn't been the same for years now, and that move to the left has put it back where it should be. It's like, Jeremy Corbyn hasn't just improved it for me, he's brought the real Labour back. It could all go to pot, yes, but I don't think we should settle for an easy second best when we've finally got back what we've wanted for so long. This opportunity might not come about again for a very long time.

Comes down to what you want; are you looking for a Labour party that could become the Government, or just a party that will occasionally say the nice things but never get anywhere?

If you can live with the latter, then keep Corbyn.
If you want to actually change things, you need to change the leader.

You're right but the ignorant peeps will never agree and continue to spout typical media rhetoric in an attempt to dissaude you from your views. :smile:

I'm going to ignore his actual politics and focus on him being leader because being centrist I probably have a vested interest in Labour moving back to the centre. In my opinion, his role in the EU referendum has left him looking rather weak and non-committal which is dangerous. Leaders and their images matter. Looking at the 2015 general election, polls showed that a greater proportion of people preferred Cameron as a leader than actually supported the Tories. I personally saw nothing too wrong with Miliband but this view was obviously not shared with the rest of the country.

Let me ask you a question: Would you rather see a new leader with the same politics as Corbyn or have Corbyn stay where he is?
Keep Corbyn!
Heh @appropriateredherring

He might be a nice guy.
He might have principles.

He isn't a leader.
He isnt electable.
He would never be able to get the confidence of a majority of boters.
Labour would never get into power.
They could never implement any policies.
Reply 13
For the first time I heard Farage say something I agree with. The parliamentary Labour Party are New Labour Blairites, the Membership are Corbynite and the traditional Labour voter has turned UKIP. In other words a complete mess.

He is a principled, intelligent and strong man but successful Leadership does require you to keep the majority of team on board and to be streetwise.
Original post by Drewski
Comes down to what you want; are you looking for a Labour party that could become the Government, or just a party that will occasionally say the nice things but never get anywhere?

If you can live with the latter, then keep Corbyn.
If you want to actually change things, you need to change the leader.

I think there's a massive misconception that Corbyn never does anything (loads of my friends think the same thing, tbh :wink: ).

I get annoyed at Cameron's debates usually- he's forward about his opinions but he always goes too far and ends up winding up the audience rather than persuading them.

I don't know if you saw Jeremy Corbyn's debate on Sky about a week before the vote? It was never talked about by the media (as to be expected of them, I suppose) but it was absolutely wonderful. He was in a constant calm state, and changed a lot of sometimes angry, oppositional audience members' minds (you could see it in their faces- brilliant!).

He's not very out there compared to the others, but that doesn't stop him doing what he has to do. For me, not a negative at all :smile:
I think there's a massive misconception that Corbyn never does anything (loads of my friends think the same thing, tbh :wink: ).

I get annoyed at Cameron's debates usually- he's forward about his opinions but he always goes too far and ends up winding up the audience rather than persuading them.

I don't know if you saw Jeremy Corbyn's debate on Sky about a week before the vote? It was never talked about by the media (as to be expected of them, I suppose) but it was absolutely wonderful. He was in a constant calm state, and changed a lot of sometimes angry, oppositional audience members' minds (you could see it in their faces- brilliant!).

He's not very out there compared to the others, but that doesn't stop him doing what he has to do. For me, not a negative at all :smile:

And that's absolutely fine. If you like him, then stick with him.

The only thing is you have to accept the reality that he does not have a broad public support among centrists - where the majority of the country is. This means he'll never win a General Election.
I never believed in him. Someone who calls terrorist organisations their friends, associates with such people (and yes I've heard people say the media have overstated this) and is a radical left winger would never have my belief. And putting my personal views aside, yes Jeremy was democratically elected by labour party members, but such members have views that aren't representative of the UK population as a whole. A country that voted in a centre right Prime Minister on an austerity mandate isn't suddenly going to lurch very far to the left. So he has very little chance of being PM.*Also his lack of leadership has been appalling- he seems to have done very little to try to bring the party together before and barely spoke up in the EU debate, I heard more from Sadiq Khan than Corbyn. Can't remember where I read it now but someone described him accurately: he's a protester, not a leader. Then yesterday as most of his shadow cabinet were resigning he was out whipping up his supporters who were calling for 'traitor MP's to be eradicated...' hardly an appropriate term given the murder of an MP not long ago.*
No :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending