The Student Room Group

Is it worth investing in a Macbook Pro?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxvine
I am looking to purchase a mac...I am hearing that the air is good but its too thin imo

which model is best for me to get? I was looking at the 15 inch macbook pro.

what are you going to be using it for?
Reply 81
Original post by madmadmax321
what are you going to be using it for?

Well for Uni and everything

I need one that will last me 3 years +. I do a lot of word documents, watch videos, steam etc....I need one that will be fast. I really can't deal with slow computers.

I won't be taking it to uni with me so i don't necessariy require a PC that is lightweight,

I dont mind spending the extra money and perhaps getting the 15' model
Mans are crap. Just get a windows
Original post by xxvine
Well for Uni and everything

I need one that will last me 3 years +. I do a lot of word documents, watch videos, steam etc....I need one that will be fast. I really can't deal with slow computers.

I won't be taking it to uni with me so i don't necessariy require a PC that is lightweight,

I dont mind spending the extra money and perhaps getting the 15' model

If you want to game then dont get a macbook pro retina, get a gaming laptop or better yet build yourself a gaming pc if you wont be taking it to uni at all
Wonder if Macs are going to go ip on price now, due to Brexit?

Not seen this years spec announced yet.
Reply 85
If you want to game then dont get a macbook pro retina, get a gaming laptop or better yet build yourself a gaming pc if you wont be taking it to uni at all

i don't want to game

I don't game at all
Original post by xxvine
i don't want to game

I don't game at all

Sorry I assumed you did as you said you used steam

In that case any macbook will be fine (and almost any i3 + laptop tbf) as you wont be doing anything intensive, you dont need the power of the 15inch macbook pro at all and if you are using it at home all the time then battery life isnt a factor either.
Reply 87
Sorry I assumed you did as you said you used steam

In that case any macbook will be fine (and almost any i3 + laptop tbf) as you wont be doing anything intensive, you dont need the power of the 15inch macbook pro at all and if you are using it at home all the time then battery life isnt a factor either.

speed though

My sis has an 13' macbook pro with 8gb ram and she has notice it has slowed down. Isn't it better to get 16gb rm
Original post by xxvine
speed though

My sis has an 13' macbook pro with 8gb ram and she has notice it has slowed down. Isn't it better to get 16gb rm

Then there is something else wrong with the macbook pro, 8gb for surfing the web, using microsoft documents, streaming etc is more than enough

Also more ram doesnt make your laptop faster, it only slows the laptop if it maxs out (which for what you would be doing 8gb wouldnt)

If you want to get a 15 inch macbook pro thats alright it will do what you want but theres no way you will use the power it provides, like I said almost any laptop with i3 cpu and 4gb+ ram will be fine (ssd will greatly improve booting times, so you may want one of them too)

For reference I use a i5 windows laptop with 8GB ram and 500GB hardrive and it is not slow at all and can do everything I want (use word, powerpoint, surf the web, have 5-10 tabs open at once, programming, streaming video etc)
Reply 89
Then there is something else wrong with the macbook pro, 8gb for surfing the web, using microsoft documents, streaming etc is more than enough

Also more ram doesnt make your laptop faster, it only slows the laptop if it maxs out (which for what you would be doing 8gb wouldnt)

If you want to get a 15 inch macbook pro thats alright it will do what you want but theres no way you will use the power it provides, like I said almost any laptop with i3 cpu and 4gb+ ram will be fine (ssd will greatly improve booting times, so you may want one of them too)

For reference I use a i5 windows laptop with 8GB ram and 500GB hardrive and it is not slow at all and can do everything I want (use word, powerpoint, surf the web, have 5-10 tabs open at once, programming, streaming video etc)

what anti virus software do you use and what laptop is it?
Original post by xxvine
what anti virus software do you use and what laptop is it?

I use the free one microsoft supply and avoid dodgy websites

acer aspire v5-573

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending