The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hellodave5
What is your argument to leave?

I honestly fail to see many good arguments. I always appreciate insight.
Cheers.

Can you PM me to remind me to reply to you?

I just started writing the reply, but in the preview button all the line breaks are removed, so I'll make an upload a PDF document. Without prompting I might put you at the back of the queue, and may eventually forget.
Twinpeaks - Please don't give up. I'm over 50 (not 65) and am as fed as you about the result. London, Scotland and Northern Ireland Ireland all over whelmingly voted for the UK to continue to be in the EU. (Where I live the vote was remain=75%). The campaign was so biased and based on politicians' self-interests that I think we should we all try to something to make sure we stay in the EU for our longer term good.
Original post by Josb
Yeah, Oxbridge degrees will be worth nothing, French universities and economy will dominate the world, and there is no racism in France. :rolleyes:

Precisely this.

Considering the rise of Marine Le Pen, who is often regarded as far right, I doubt it. (Though I haven't researched her myself.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not quite sure what this graph is showing. As I understand it, the benefits of EU membership some from trade gains (I think the economic term is 'comparative advantage', and of course social gains). Please correct if I'm wrong.
Original post by XcitingStuart

I just started writing the reply, but in the preview button all the line breaks are removed, so I'll make an upload a PDF document. Without prompting I might put you at the back of the queue, and may eventually forget.

Thanks, will do. So you think it would be better to give up legislative rights as part of the EU; and have access to the common market and open borders, but without the contribution (as its net negative)?

If the benefits did not outweigh the costs why would 75% of the MPs support the EU membership ?

" Well, the Confederation of British Industry - hardly a fluffy bunch of Bruges graduates -suggests the direct net economic benefits of membership to the UK are between £62bn and £78bn every year. "

Most importantly, how do you value the human capital or the so called "brain drain" from other EU countries caused largely by the free movement (supplemented by the the reputation of the British Institutions of course)?

For example in the case of Tesco you have market to book value ratio of 1.6 (before the scandal) which means that investors put a premium on the company and the difference of 60% represents the human capital which is not on the balance sheet but adds value to the company.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Twinpeaks
Okay, stupid question, of course you do.

I've felt so down all day because of this, and just have this constant sick feeling in my stomach. I genuinely feel like I'm grieving.

I feel like I'm grieving for our growing economy (slow but steady).

I'm grieving for our loss of cultural enrichment. If we weren't a part of the EU I'd never have met people from the likes France, Norway, Germany, who have so much to offer to our country. We have so much to gain from these cultures.

I'm grieving for us no longer being a leading institution for academia. The vast majority of my lecturers were European researchers- Germans, Dutch, Portuguese, Swiss, Italian. Without these people, the research department at my university would be nothing. UK is no longer going to be at the forefront of science.

I just feel so ashamed for us as a country. For making such a strong gesture of unwelcome to EU migrants. My sister's boss is Portuguese, and she could see the sheer hurt in her, with her boss expressing that she now feels unwelcome in the place she calls home. This is mirrored by so many EU immigrants across the UK. My university professor tweeted-

"I am an EU migrant trying to make a contribution to your country. It is because of people like me you voted Leave. Yes, it hurts."

I just feel so disgusted and sickened that we chose to make these people unwelcome. These who have such much to contribute to us.

I feel genuinely depressed about this. Can anyone who voted Stay shine a light on this for me please. And anyone who voted Leave, **** off, you should be made to pick up the pieces.

Preach.

Im 15 and I find the referendum so interesting for I, alongside the rest of my generation and the generations below me, have to live with it the longest. Im truly disappointed how the older generation let their pride and ego influence them; do they not understand that the days of British colonialism is over and Brexit will only maker us weaker and less prominent in the world.Frankly, I am disappointed in the way the elderly have screwed us over.

Disclaimer; Im not suggesting that it is solely the population over 65 who have voted leave but their collective reasons for Brexit make me feel a deep sadness that never in my lifetime will I have the opportunities I could've had- due to someone's pride.
Reply 267
100th upvoter YESSSS
Original post by Keerth4na
Preach.

Im 15 and I find the referendum so interesting for I, alongside the rest of my generation and the generations below me, have to live with it the longest. Im truly disappointed how the older generation let their pride and ego influence them; do they not understand that the days of British colonialism is over and Brexit will only maker us weaker and less prominent in the world.Frankly, I am disappointed in the way the elderly have screwed us over.

Disclaimer; Im not suggesting that it is solely the population over 65 who have voted leave but their collective reasons for Brexit make me feel a deep sadness that never in my lifetime will I have the opportunities I could've had- due to someone's pride.

15 and already thoroughly brainwashed?

This is worse than I thought...
Original post by otester
15 and already thoroughly brainwashed?

This is worse than I thought...

Indoctrination.
Reply 270
Original post by Keerth4na
Im truly disappointed how the older generation let their pride and ego influence them; do they not understand that the days of British colonialism is over and Brexit will only maker us weaker and less prominent in the world.Frankly, I am disappointed in the way the elderly have screwed us over.

The older generation did not screw you because of their pride. The British Empire was already gone before most of them were born.

They voted Leave because they remember the time before the European Union, in the 1960s, when housing was affordable and you didn't have to compete against 50 other applicants a with master's degree to find a permanent job -- in fact a degree wasn't even necessary for that.

When they voted in 1975, they were promised a free trade zone, not a supranational state. They were promised prosperity within the EU, and they saw British industries leaving the country one by one -- except in London.
Reply 271
Original post by chris888

Most importantly, how do you value the human capital or the so called "brain drain" from other EU countries caused largely by the free movement (supplemented by the the reputation of the British Institutions of course)?

Free movement has little to do with the brain drain, otherwise the USA wouldn't get so many top scientists and engineers from all over the world. The British brain drain exists because universities have (a) real budgets (b) better salaries (c) less administration.

The falling Pound makes (b) much less attractive and if British unis can no longer have access to ERC grants (partly (a)), the Government should compensate the loss of funding so they can maintain significant research budgets.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
Free movement has little to do with the brain drain, otherwise the USA wouldn't get so many top scientists and engineers from all over the world. The British brain drain exists because universities have (a) real budgets (b) better salaries (c) less administration.

The falling Pound makes (b) much less attractive and if British unis can no longer have access to ERC grants (partly (a)), the Government should compensate the loss of funding so they can maintain significant research budgets.

if the US education was better than the European most US students would not support Bernie. Also you have 'free movement' within the states :wink:. Basically America created their own "European union" 200 years ago :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
The older generation did not screw you because of their pride. The British Empire was already gone before most of them were born.

They voted Leave because they remember the time before the European Union, in the 1960s, when housing was affordable and you didn't have to compete against 50 other applicants a with master's degree to find a permanent job -- in fact a degree wasn't even necessary for that.

When they voted in 1975, they were promised a free trade zone, not a supranational state. They were promised prosperity within the EU, and they saw British industries leaving the country one by one -- except in London.

These are all no good arguments. "because they remember .." Do they remember WW2 and the crisis of the 1970s hence the reason why the UK joined the EU?
"didn't have to compete against 50 other applicants a with master's degree to find a permanent job " - How is this bad for the economy as a whole!

They were promised prosperity within the EU " Every single country in the EU is much more prosperous today than it was 30-40 years ago. Some people have flawed perception of reality.

"British industries " - were in crisis long before the UK joined the EU. Read.
http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-goldman-sachs-vodafone-moving-uk-jobs-eu-referendum-2016-6
I am sure there will be a person here telling me the multinationals are not important as long as we can grow our own cabbages. At least the skilled people are thinking ahead and making contingency plans. Its done now, and that's all one can do. All the best to both sides of the vote.
Reply 275
These are all no good arguments. "because they remember .." Do they remember WW2 and the crisis of the 1970s hence the reason why the UK joined the EU?

They have seen that the EU doesn't protect from economic crisis.

"didn't have to compete against 50 other applicants a with master's degree to find a permanent job " - How is this bad for the economy as a whole!

You'll see when you try to get a job.

They were promised prosperity within the EU " Every single country in the EU is much more prosperous today than it was 30-40 years ago. Some people have flawed perception of reality.

Tell that to people who work on 0-hour contracts and saw their job leaving the country.

"British industries " - were in crisis long before the UK joined the EU. Read.

The UK joined in 1972 and became a member of the EEC in 1973. Industries weren't in crisis at that time. In fact the crisis started the year after.
Here is a graph of the GDP growth per year.

gdp.jpg
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.KD.ZG?end=2014&locations=GB&start=1961&view=chart
(edited 7 years ago)
Just to let you know guys the Daily mail mentioned this thread :biggrin:

A thread on popular forum The Student Room entitled 'Does anyone else feel genuinely depressed about Brexit?' has had around 300 replies.One student wrote: 'I've felt so down all day because of this, and just have this constant sick feeling in my stomach.'I genuinely feel like I'm grieving. I feel like I'm grieving for our growing economy (slow but steady). I'm grieving for our loss of cultural enrichment.'
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Original post by Jesuistamoul
At first I was very sad because since I moved to this country I experienced racism which I never had in France and I was very scared that the racism will be worst (I'm born in France but Tamil).But know I am super happy because FRANCE has overtaken the UK as the world’s fifth largest economy, which means that if the economy of this country goes down my family and I can go back to France. In my familly we all have the French/British and Canadian visa so nobody in my family is worried;furthermore; I am very happy to know that the value of the pound has gone down and that the science and engineering economy is doomed which means that in a few years other countries won't acknowledge British degrees.In France education is free (even university) but in the UK, you have to pay a lot of money so I feel bad the students studying in this country because you are wasting your money and your time studying for worthless degrees. I have to thank all the people who voted out, you have saved my life may god bless you.

Yup thanks to the UK we will be the richest country in Europe, all the banks are coming to our country.

On the premise of what you believe is true, which it is not, you are a sick person for revelling in delight when people's lives take a turn for the worst.

You're a sick soul; go get treatment at Broadmoor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is he sick? Your people voted out it was your choice. I personally never experienced racism in the UK but I am very happy that France is back and Britain out.Our president Charles de Gaule never liked the fact that your country join the union.In France we believe in freedom of speech the right to speak his mind and you have no right to insult him just because you disagree with his views grow up. I feel bad for my English friends but I am also very happy that he UK saved our country without you our country was doomed.You made us the 5 richest nation and we will be forever grateful.

Original post by Josb
Yeah, Oxbridge degrees will be worth nothing, French universities and economy will dominate the world, and there is no racism in France.
France will never dominate the world, but it will dominate Europe thanks to the UK.You had everything to gain by staying but you chose to leave because of your pride, the value of your currency has fallen down , many of the industries of your country are doomed like Jesuistamoul said.And about racism in France,it's very low compared to he UK.
[u]
Precisely this.Considering the rise of Marine Le Pen, who is often regarded as far right, I doubt it. (Though I haven't researched her myself.)

Lol most of people in France think that Marine Le Pen is a nut case, everyone except the social rejects can see clear in her game.She is super rich ,but she is trying to target immigrant to be elected.Everyone in France knows the story of the Le Pen family, they were nazy sympathisers and in France we do not like such ideologies we are proud to be in the European Unions and we love diversity.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm so depressed about Brexit that I decided there was nothing to do but go hell for leather and eat a whole polenta to myself. And when I'd finished gorging upon the polenta I, lost in the abyss of post-Brexit confusion, started a gremolata consommé but was overcome by existential angst before the sous-vides were even ready. Why can't the Brexiters understand my pain? What is wrong with the general public? And what am I going to do with all the celeriac au gratin and Egon Muller-Scharzhof Scharzhofberger Riesling I bought for the victorious Remain party?

Help me, for God's sake.
Reply 278
Original post by Dracurous

How is he sick? Your people voted out it was your choice. I personally never experienced racism in the UK but I am very happy that France is back and Britain out.Our president Charles de Gaule never liked the fact that your country join the union.In France we believe in freedom of speech the right to speak his mind and you have no right to insult him just because you disagree with his views grow up. I feel bad for my English friends but I am also very happy that he UK saved our country without you our country was doomed.You made us the 5 richest nation and we will be forever grateful.

Lol most of people in France think that Marine Le Pen is a nut case, everyone except the social rejects can see clear in her game.She is super rich ,but she is trying to target immigrant to be elected.Everyone in France knows the story of the Le Pen family, they were nazy sympathisers and in France we do not like such ideologies we are proud to be in the European Unions and we love diversity.

What a troll.
Original post by Jesuistamoul
At first I was very sad because since I moved to this country I experienced racism which I never had in France and I was very scared that the racism will be worst (I'm born in France but Tamil).But know I am super happy because FRANCE has overtaken the UK as the world’s fifth largest economy, which means that if the economy of this country goes down my family and I can go back to France. In my familly we all have the French/British and Canadian visa so nobody in my family is worried;furthermore; I am very happy to know that the value of the pound has gone down and that the science and engineering economy is doomed which means that in a few years other countries won't acknowledge British degrees.In France education is free (even university) but in the UK, you have to pay a lot of money so I feel bad the students studying in this country because you are wasting your money and your time studying for worthless degrees. I have to thank all the people who voted out, you have saved my life may god bless you.

No, France hasn't. Sterling would have needed to drop by about 18% for France to have overtaken the UK. It didn't. That was one of the numerous bogus myths Remain started spreading, while at the same time accusing Leave of lying.
That's not even beginning to get into the rest of your waffling.*

Latest