The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
True - in our current position, only those types of players will come to us which in a sense is great.

I mean let's be honest here, Mané actively chose to move to a club who finished below Soton (and therefore with no Europe) last season. Why would he do that unless he was hungry to develop as a player and help us challenge for top 4?

- more money
- better location
- more fame

:smile:
Original post by difeo
- more money
- better location
- more fame

:smile:

Meh, regardless of our current position, we're much more likely to win trophies than Southampton.

People may laugh but we got to two finals last season and although we unfortunately lost, we were only one good match away from a solid season and two away from an amazing success.

Football hinges on these fine margins though; all Klopp can do it keep getting to finals and improving his team until we can cross that finish line.
Original post by nerdling_CompSci
Why would we need a CM ?

Can
Henderson
Allen
Lucas
Milner
Grujic

Give me one reason

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think everyone expects one of Allen and Lucas to leave.
Original post by Zerforax
I think everyone expects one of Allen and Lucas to leave.

Bye bye Lucas
Why would we need a CM ?

Can
Henderson
Allen
Lucas
Milner
Grujic

Give me one reason

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly our midfield in **** and not good enough for top 4, it has been overrun numerous times last season. Secondly, Lucas and Allen most likely will not be here next season.
Original post by Lúcio
Bye bye Lucas

I think Lucas is more likely to accept a squad role (now 29 and unlikely to get a big move?). If Klopp wants to keep him, then Lucas will stay.

Allen on the other hand is more likely to want first team football since he's only 26 and meant to be in his prime.

I honestly think Allen will push to move rather than Klopp forcing him out.
Why would we need a CM ?

Can
Henderson
Allen
Lucas
Milner
Grujic

Give me one reason

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because Dahoud is better than 5 of those.

Paul Joyce kept the drive alive saying we still want him but I'm skeptical. For all the overspending we've ever done please let us for once overspend on the right player. Dahoud won't be easy to buy but the right price will sign anybody.

Edit: Tony Barrett basically said we have no chance. I'm not sure who I'd want excluding Dahoud.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think Lucas is more likely to accept a squad role (now 29 and unlikely to get a big move?). If Klopp wants to keep him, then Lucas will stay.

Allen on the other hand is more likely to want first team football since he's only 26 and meant to be in his prime.

Everything you say is true but I don't want to believe you :frown:
Original post by Lúcio
Everything you say is true but I don't want to believe you :frown:

As much as you want Allen to stay, do you actually want him to be our first choice CM? Starting week in and out?

Same. I think, with the love-in he's enjoyed with Wales this summer especially, he's keen to move back home and be universally adored. Who can blame him?

By all accounts, he's a model pro, and I doubt we'll stand in his way.
As much as you want Allen to stay, do you actually want him to be our first choice CM? Starting week in and out?

I never said first choice in all honesty.
I've always said he's a solid squad player - very reliable and always does his job well.

I'd rather have Allen than Henderson however if we sold Henderson, I would expect us to buy a new first choice CM to partner Can.
If Mane is your marquee striker signing, there's no chance you're getting top 4. Klopp will have the same problems under this cursed transfer committee.
Original post by AR_95
If Mane is your marquee striker signing, there's no chance you're getting top 4. Klopp will have the same problems under this cursed transfer committee.

He's not going to be our striker, he's been brought as a wide option. Also, the transfer committee is there to advise but Klopp has the ultimate say on transfers. He's been keeping track of Mane since 2012 and is a big fan of him.
Original post by AR_95

As The Joker said, the credible journalists are reporting this as a 100% Klopp signing and not the committee. And Klopp is a close friend of Ralf Rangnick who was Salzburg's sporting director when they signed Mane. And I doubt he'll play striker, most Liverpool fans are happy with Sturridge, Origi and Ings as the strikers; Mane will probably directly replace Lallana in a 4-2-3-1.
Klopp's targeted Mane for a while, yeah. This is his signing. It's clear Dahoud (if it comes off), Matip and Karius are too.

Mane will fit comfortably in a 4-2-3-1, so that's obviously our formation. Klopp is clearly happy with his striking options. I wouldn't be surprised if we begin the season with Benteke still on our books, to be honest. We need pace and width in behind them, though, and with Ibe regressing in recent months, Mane is a welcome addition.

I wonder if there's a future for Markovic, too. I hope so.*
Original post by Samiz
As The Joker said, the credible journalists are reporting this as a 100% Klopp signing and not the committee. And Klopp is a close friend of Ralf Rangnick who was Salzburg's sporting director when they signed Mane. And I doubt he'll play striker, most Liverpool fans are happy with Sturridge, Origi and Ings as the strikers; Mane will probably directly replace Lallana in a 4-2-3-1.

Yeah, Mané will be like Firmino in the sense that he could play striker when required but generally won't do.

Our striker options next season look great though:

Sturridge
Origi
Ings
Firmino (if needed)
Mané (if needed)

I am extremely happy with that.
Mane is a decent signing. He's got good pace and dribbling ability, he's not that far off being a top player, its really just a case of his shooting.

You are certainly are going to worry a lot of teams on the break.
Original post by Fizzel
Mane is a decent signing. He's got good pace and dribbling ability, he's not that far off being a top player, its really just a case of his shooting.

Yeah I agree; he either has a game where everything he does turns to gold or he struggles in front of goal. Either way, he's getting himself in to the right positions which is a great sign.

There's no way Klopp would've bought his first big signing without being confident he'd be able to do something big.

Next season we can focus solely on the league; I expect us to be much better.
Crystal Palace are interested in Benteke, we asking £30m for him. Would be nice if we can recoup that much for him.
Original post by Lúcio
Yeah, Mané will be like Firmino in the sense that he could play striker when required but generally won't do.

Our striker options next season look great though:

Sturridge
Origi
Ings
Firmino (if needed)
Mané (if needed)

I am extremely happy with that.

All fantastic options - and it's clear, when you take him out of the equation, that Mane is needed. He offers blistering pace. Firmino's isn't slow, but when he's the quickest of the three behind the striker, it's clear we're lacking on the pace front.

We'll likely still have Benteke too, to be honest.
Original post by Fizzel

"On the break" is the key part of that post. Spot on. That's clearly when we're best.

Latest