The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rym4n
I really recommend doing it early, because if you wait til September (like I did.....) it means you'll spend more time than you need to preparing and it kinda wastes the summer

I'm doing my late august, I am away for 2 weeks at the end of july so im nervous I wont have enough time! But i have already done a bit, but i can only get in a few hours a week with college atm. I did a paper pratice test the other day (first go) after my intial prep and got 650 :/ Not great :frown: I get the verbal reasoning and abstract reasoning to a good extent for now but I cannot get the maths right at all! I can't work out what to do in time at all!? Dont' know what to do :frown: I feel the maths is the section that is possible to improve on but I'm stuck for ideas!?
Original post by Usaamah
Anyone else find Abstract Reasoning hard to get a grasp of, I always find it hard to decipher the patterns and hence end up guessing the questions?

Its weird im finding the more complex ones easier and the simpler ones more confusing. Mine is in August and im using Kaplan to revise :smile: WBU ?
Reply 162
Original post by clairebear101
I'm doing my late august, I am away for 2 weeks at the end of july so im nervous I wont have enough time! But i have already done a bit, but i can only get in a few hours a week with college atm. I did a paper pratice test the other day (first go) after my intial prep and got 650 :/ Not great :frown: I get the verbal reasoning and abstract reasoning to a good extent for now but I cannot get the maths right at all! I can't work out what to do in time at all!? Dont' know what to do :frown: I feel the maths is the section that is possible to improve on but I'm stuck for ideas!?

Lool don't worry that's plenty of time. Maths is actually a lot easier in the real thing. A lot of my friends recommend using medify (online resource) so check that out maybe?
I'm sitting mine on 19th July. Bricking it!! Really struggling with verbal and quantitative. The maths I can do if I have long enough, but it seems impossible with the time you get! I find with verbal I can manage to answer them all, but don't get a decent enough amount right. The true/can't tell/false ones are actually ok, but the other ones where you have to pick out of 4 statements is just awful!

I'm applying for graduate medicine. Kind of set my heart on Warwick, but that now seems impossible because they focus on the verbal reasoning section. Which, typically, I'm awful at!

For anyone who's not bought any books, don't buy both the 600 questions and the updated 1000 questions. You get the same questions in the newer updated one as the older one, but with obviously loads more questions in, so just buy that one :smile:
Original post by MedicineMaybe
Its weird im finding the more complex ones easier and the simpler ones more confusing. Mine is in August and im using Kaplan to revise :smile: WBU ?

I can't seem to identify the patterns in the two sets. I am using 1000 Questions UKCAT book
Hey guys
So the title is my sole way of preparing for the UKCAT. Also, Ill practice from the Pearson VUE questions/mock test too.

I just wanted to know a few things.
1) Should I be happy if I answer the questions within the avg time given? (in Medify) This is the avergae time taken by students to answer the question, but by my understanding it is not the IDEAL time taken. How much should I abide to this?

2) In the ISC book, the AR questions are sometimes too tricky but I manage to ace the Medify and PEarson VUE AR questions, which should I adhere to?

3) The QR questions in Pearson VUE are very hard (according to me) but the ISC and Medify ones are relatively easy?

Lot of conflicts like these, could someone help?

Thanks
Hi good luck with your upcoming ukcat tests. I have finished they Kaplan book and will probably finish the 1000 ukcat questions book from isc next week which would give me about 3 weeks to revise from Medify(sitting mine early August) would 3 weeks of Medify be enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Usaamah
I can't seem to identify the patterns in the two sets. I am using 1000 Questions UKCAT book

No wonder you can't identify patterns if you are using the 1000 questions! That book is notoriously hard if not impossible. I would recommend trying some easier ones like Medify and then once you get the hang of it move onto the 1000 questions book. I really cannot recommend modify enough as it has so many questions! However this year I have also seen a new UKCAT questions bank run by 6med who also run courses which may be good but I have not personally used it
Original post by medicapplicant
Hi good luck with your upcoming ukcat tests. I have finished they Kaplan book and will probably finish the 1000 ukcat questions book from isc next week which would give me about 3 weeks to revise from Medify(sitting mine early August) would 3 weeks of Medify be enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it makes you feel better all the UKCAT revision I did last year was 1 very intense week of just UKCAT using all the resources I could find and I got 678 so what you are suggesting is plenty of time! (I know i could have done better but I couldn't delay my UKCAT any longer)
Original post by MedicineMaybe
Thank you will look into it . Have you heard of the medical ethics book too on Amazon I've heard that's pretty useful for the whole interview Etc ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't looked at it but I will say there's lots of free stuff on youtube that you can look at! Also if you get the ISC interview book (also known as the interview bible for medical school applicants) it has lots of ethical scenarios that it walks you through so that may help also.

Original post by medicapplicant
so maybe 3-4 weeks of solid practice then ? and does anyone know any online UKCAT resources apart from medify?
thanks

If you type into google UKCAT questions bank there are loads of different ones! I didn't really use anything online apart from modify last year but I did use the Kaplan score higher book and the diagnostic test actually gave the closest score to my actual than any other test last year including the official UKCAT ones.

Original post by Usaamah
Anyone else find Abstract Reasoning hard to get a grasp of, I always find it hard to decipher the patterns and hence end up guessing the questions?

You just have to work through them systematically by looking first at the easier things to spot for example common shapes or colour, positions in the square eat eat until you get down to the nit picky ones like the number of right angles in each box of the ones like if there is a black triangle there is a white circle, if there is a white triangle there is a white square. The most important thing in AR is to guess as tbh you only have options so if you do not know flag them and guess the first option for all of them so you do not run out of time without having answered them. Then you can go back and do the ones you had trouble with
hi friends.
i wanted to know would you hire a tutor for ukcat exam? how should i start revising for it? i have 2 months.
Why do you want a tutor for when this is the type of exam you need lots of practice for and there is no substitute for it?
Get yourself the ISC 1000Q book (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-School-UKCAT-Practice-Questions/dp/1905812183/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467209107&sr=8-1&keywords=ukcat) and then do some practice online (maybe Medify or something like that) and then do the official UKCAT practice on the UKCAT website.
Thankyou.
Actually i am just starting to revise so i was confused how do i actually start.
Original post by nisha devi
Thankyou.
Actually i am just starting to revise so i was confused how do i actually start.

You can't really "revise" for UKCAT. It's not a knowledge-based test. It's an aptitude test. The only way you can prepare is by doing practice questions. Ienjoylife posted a link to the UKCAT book that most people use. Work your way through that. I also recommend Kaplan's "Score Higher on the UKCAT". The link I've provided to the Kaplan book is the edition that I used, there are more recent editions but as I haven't used them myself I can't say if they're decent or not.
Medify is also fantastic.
Thankyou for your help.
Can i ask how much time do i need ? 1month or 2months for practice?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nisha devi
Thankyou for your help.
Can i ask how much time should do i need ? 1month or 2months for practice?

no one can tell you, usually a month is fine but see how you feel after you work on it
Okay thankyou
Original post by dakshsaksena
Hey guys
So the title is my sole way of preparing for the UKCAT. Also, Ill practice from the Pearson VUE questions/mock test too.

1) Should I be happy if I answer the questions within the avg time given? (in Medify) This is the avergae time taken by students to answer the question, but by my understanding it is not the IDEAL time taken. How much should I abide to this?

2) In the ISC book, the AR questions are sometimes too tricky but I manage to ace the Medify and PEarson VUE AR questions, which should I adhere to?

3) The QR questions in Pearson VUE are very hard (according to me) but the ISC and Medify ones are relatively easy?

Thanks

I haven't tried Medify but I feel the same way too about the questions in the 1000 UKCAT book.

BTW is Medify worth it?
Original post by Usaamah
I haven't tried Medify but I feel the same way too about the questions in the 1000 UKCAT book.

BTW is Medify worth it?

I feel it is, boosted confidence and gets you used to the online format. PLus, its the cheapest (compared to these crash courses and Kaplan) and the best.
Its extremely comprehensive, analyses everything
Original post by dakshsaksena
Hey guys

Thanks

Hi, I took the UKCAT last year so I kinda know the standard.
1. Well ideally you'd like to complete all the questions and I would say, keep on practicing timing, as it is a big factor. However, it's better to do 80% of the questions and get them all right then to rush and do all the questions and only get 50%. So yeah, work on timing and try your best to speed-up.
2. You're doing great, ISC is obviously too hard. The questions in the real thing are more like medify and pearson vue ones.
3. QR in the real thing is relatively simple so go with the medify questions on this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending