The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - 28th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by johnthedog
Sorry if this has already been asked but in the Med Physics paper, the last question, was it the % of X-Rays that passed through or the % of X-Rays that were reflected?

I'm quite sure it was % that passed through, but do correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.
Original post by FireBLue97
can u say nuclear weapon testing

Yep, I said nuclear fallout from previous weapons testing. It's been given as a viable answer in mark schemes.
Any grade boundary predictions for nuclear and astro?
Original post by allofthestars
exactly ! so the raw count rate seen would of included the background effect aswell?

Yeah! there was no need to worry about the background count rate in caculation
Original post by sztirmzi
Yeah! there was no need to worry about the background count rate in caculation

I'm pretty sure you had to find the corrected count rate, then use the inverse square law, then add on the background count rate again. Otherwise you would be lowering the background count rate in the inverse square law calculation even though it wouldn't decrease since it is uniform in all directions. Hope that helps.
Original post by ItsYaBoi
Here are my numerical answers(and stuff i remember) that im pretty confident about

NUCLEAR AND THERMAL
1ai 3.348x10^(−15)
1aii 3.05x10^(−15)
2a Nuclear accidents, e.g. Chernobyl
2bi 96
3bi 2.27x10^(−28)
3bii 127
4bi 4.39x10^(−4)
4bii .0667
4biii 1.21
5bi 15500
5bii 2490
5biii 2120

ASTRO
1a 0.9
1bi real
1bii 0.2
2bii 0.47
2biii areitis furthest
4a radio signals
4bi 2.37x10^(14)au

Could you possibly tell me what the question was for 2a on the Nuclear and Thermal paper? I don't recall any answer like this and I'm worried if I've missed a question.
Original post by Aprkrheiqkk
Yep, I said nuclear fallout from previous weapons testing. It's been given as a viable answer in mark schemes.

Could you possibly tell me which question this was? I really don't remember it and I'm worried I've missed one :frown:
Original post by radiohedge
FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO DID APPLIED. I found it slightly harder than last year's. I had to leave out a couple of questions and I only half-attempted the six markers, and I want an A. In an ideal world it'd be 55 for an A but I'm worried that's optimistic. What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am glad I found someone doing applied too. I found it really hard and I let some questions emtpy too hahahah I couldnt do the question which had find frictional torque and most of that question tbh. I did the counting square to find area in a rush hopefully it is correct I got about 280 is that around what u got? I really really hope that the GB will be low for it or Ill miss my offer. i personally found it harder than usual.
Original post by Aprkrheiqkk

Would solar radiation increase as ozone layer get weaker liable too u think?
Original post by Jay1421
Could you possibly tell me what the question was for 2a on the Nuclear and Thermal paper? I don't recall any answer like this and I'm worried if I've missed a question.

what was 3b)ii for the nuclear section? was it mass defect?
Original post by wallpaperpaste
I'm pretty sure you had to find the corrected count rate, then use the inverse square law, then add on the background count rate again. Otherwise you would be lowering the background count rate in the inverse square law calculation even though it wouldn't decrease since it is uniform in all directions. Hope that helps.

Ahh cheers wallpaperpaste! that makes sense ! aw no lost those marks :frown: :frown:
what did people get for 1a on astro i got about 0.13?
Original post by Questioner1234
Ah that's a good. I got 16700 I think for the indicated power and 48400 for the input

Also on the very last page which box did you tick? I think I did the second one
Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG what question to tick on last page? what was the question?
Original post by ManOfJustTin
I put dark matter. I think the Big Bang caused the expansion but they don't know why it's accelerating hence dark matter?

I know the evidence for it expanding (e.g red shift) but not the reasons that directly cause it
Original post by GrandMasti
Any grade boundary predictions for nuclear and astro?

Astro normally has the highest boundaries
Considering it was a relatively easier than normal paper I think they will be quite high 😕
Original post by Dann_a
Astro normally has the highest boundaries
Considering it was a relatively easier than normal paper I think they will be quite high 😕

I think last year was easier though
Original post by allofthestars
For this silly mistake i got the wrong volume, can you remember how many marks this was and also the later part of this question where you reuse the answer,would i gain error carried forward ?

Thanks

I think it was 3 or 4 marks, I think you'll only get one. You should get e.c.f for the number of mols if that's the method you used
Did anyone get 1.8x10^11 Ckg^-1 for the specific charge turning points
Original post by -jordan-
I don't think so, you had to use e/m = V/B^2xR^2 to find an experimental value of the specific charge. It gives 9.9x10^10 I think. How did you obtain that?

e/m= v/Br
v calculated from V
Original post by -jordan-
I think it was 3 or 4 marks, I think you'll only get one. You should get e.c.f for the number of mols if that's the method you used

Im almost sure it was 2 marks like haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending