The Student Room Group

Work experience in IT and Computing and this is how you get it

Hi,

Here is a list of my tips on getting work experience:

1) Learn a few languages (such as C#, Java, PHP, MySQL), this can help you gain employment as a programmer, developer.
2) Create your own projects and show them on Github, this could be programming projects, databases. Aim to develop around 30.
3) Contribute on Open Source projects.
4) Create your own mobile apps.
5) Take certifications in A+, MCSE then apply for helpdeask roles.
6) Take N+, then volunteer has a network admin at a school, hospital or your council Once you have experience take the CCNA and then apply for network engineer roles.
7) Volunteer as a technician at your uni.
8) Volunteer. Apply on volunteer sites.
9) Run a tutoring service.
10) Collaborate with other students in a project.
11) Test software, create a portfolio and then apply for software testing jobs once you have your degree.
12) Run your own blog on how to learn programming or what you know and gained.
13) Run and IT consultancy voluntary.
14) Freelance.
15) Volunteer as a IT trainer.
16) Create your own databases and websites.
17) Do the Linux foundation course, contribute on the Ubunto forum, create your own apps.
18) Contribute on Stackoverflow, create an account and send a link to your CV.
19) Create a brilliant computing project in your final year.
20) Lear batch commands.

All of these will look good on your CV.

Good Luck!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump for the people who require experience.
Reply 2
Bump.
I did 1). And got only three months of work.
I probably did 10) as well but I don't remember any of that :biggrin:
Also like to add, having a MCSE, MSCA can help you land systems admin, analyst, engineer jobs, the certification can certainly help.

For IT Support, learn stuff like networking, troubleshooting, Azure, Linux, Citrex, Virtualisation and this could also help you land an IT support/2nd, 3rd line engineer job.

Also taking an ITIL certificate can get you a service desk analyst/1st line support jobs as they take candidates with the certification.

Lots of options for work experience in computing and IT on this thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
The idea of creating a portfolio (11)) is excellent - I'm currently an A Level student and I'm doing this, it helps a lot as having a portfolio will really help to make me stand out from other students my age when I attend interviews for universities/jobs, and it's quite an organised way of documenting my work.

Thanks for making this list :smile:
There are also well paid Linux systems administrator jobs out there: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/index.html learn it and you may get into a junior position.

Just like to add this to the list with post number 5 and 1.
(edited 7 years ago)
Also: Get your work on github and make a linkedin account

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely get your work on a GitHub account.

Also like to add taking an ITIL certification may land you a service desk analyst job/1st line support since browsing for these jobs, an ITIL certification is highly valued.
Get your work on GitHub? What kind of work are you guys doing?
Original post by NVismvlol
Get your work on GitHub? What kind of work are you guys doing?

Projects: games, apps, websites etc whatever you can build

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Projects: games, apps, websites etc whatever you can build

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know of any lists that offer suggestions for projects? I complete a lot questions on projecteuler but obviously these won't be worthy of uploading to github... I can't think of a project to complete myself
Original post by NVismvlol
Do you know of any lists that offer suggestions for projects? I complete a lot questions on projecteuler but obviously these won't be worthy of uploading to github... I can't think of a project to complete myself

There aren't really any 'lists' per se, the idea of projects is to think of them yourself. You could for example solve a problem that annoys you whilst surfing then internet (e.g. some kind of web plug-in) or design your own personal website, or create a game using some sort of physics engine
Original post by Princepieman
There aren't really any 'lists' per se, the idea of projects is to think of them yourself. You could for example solve a problem that annoys you whilst surfing then internet (e.g. some kind of web plug-in) or design your own personal website, or create a game using some sort of physics engine

Yeah I understand, I guess I'm just lacking the creativity atm... hopefully uni beats that out of me! Would it be worth adding some solutions for projecteuler challenges to GitHub?
Reply 14
Interesting, thanks for the list.
Original post by Drax101
Hi,

Here is a list of my tips on getting work experience:

1) Learn a few languages (such as C#, Java, PHP, MySQL), this can help you gain employment as a programmer, developer.
2) Create your own projects and show them on Github, this could be programming projects, databases. Aim to develop around 30.
3) Contribute on Open Source projects.
4) Create your own mobile apps.
5) Take certifications in A+, MCSE then apply for helpdeask roles.
6) Take N+, then volunteer has a network admin at a school, hospital or your council Once you have experience take the CCNA and then apply for network engineer roles.
7) Volunteer as a technician at your uni.
8) Volunteer. Apply on volunteer sites.
9) Run a tutoring service.
10) Collaborate with other students in a project.
11) Test software, create a portfolio and then apply for software testing jobs once you have your degree.
12) Run your own blog on how to learn programming or what you know and gained.
13) Run and IT consultancy voluntary.
14) Freelance.
15) Volunteer as a IT trainer.
16) Create your own databases and websites.
17) Do the Linux foundation course, contribute on the Ubunto forum, create your own apps.
18) Contribute on Stackoverflow, create an account and send a link to your CV.
19) Create a brilliant computing project in your final year.
20) Lear batch commands.

All of these will look good on your CV.

Good Luck!

Bump, watching this thread as I'd like to go into a Computing/IT related career in the future.
Useful thread. Bumping
Saving this, will 100% come in handy in the future
None of the above.

Study IT at uni. Got a job.
Original post by ThePricklyOne
None of the above.

Study IT at uni. Got a job.

HAHA if only it was as easy as that....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending