The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I haven't applied to either of the 'Oxfords', but I do live around Oxford.

Absolutely the two unis mix - you are all human, and the students of one Uni are not any better than the other on a night out, after all. Honestly, I would never let something like that put you off going to a university you really like. Brookes is genuinely a good uni and it's only considered less-than-graciously when compared to Oxford, but that is ultimately inevitable.
Original post by ambermariemorgan
but not everyone can go to Russel groups can they? Not everyone can get 3B's no matter how much work they put in, and I've heard of Oxford Brookes way more than university of west England, swear you can get D's and still go there....

That's true, I'm struggling and don't think i'll get my 3 BBB :frown:. My mate is at UWE, she did biology, horse management and psychology at level came out with DDC and got in. Its pretty easy.

But hey ho, that's my opinion on Oxford Brookes. Personally I feel from my perspective, its a like driving around in a kit car designed to look like a Ferrari. That would make me feel dirty inside. Just saying.

Oh and I wouldn't be able to deal with the countless " but you didn't go to real oxford mate" even though that's not my intention...Oh and the ..."Oh wow, welldone for getting into Oxford!"..Followed by me saying "well I didn't actually get into Oxford" - bit of a disappointment, don't you think?

It would be better if it was called Brookes and didn't have Oxford in its name.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thinking about Oxford Brookes as an option for uni, however I'm really worried that I'll be in a nightclub, and a boy will ask me what uni I go to, and if I say Oxford Brookes hell automatically think I'm stupid. I don't want to go there because of nightlife or anything, I'm only thinking of it as a 5th choice just in case I do badly. But do the Oxford people really look down upon the Oxford Brookes?

They do mix but whats so bad about it? If someone classifies you as stupid because your uni is of lower rank then those people are really immature. When you don't care what people think of you thats when you are truly free. All the best and I hope you get into the university of your choice.
This is so true

Cheers,
It's nice to see my posts being recognised. 😂
Original post by SamuelSingleton
don't worry university of oxford students don't go out
(Fact, Source: YouGov.org)

That's true. I never once ventured 'out' during my entire time at my college. All foods and fluids were passed under my door by the porters.
Reply 25
Thinking about Oxford Brookes as an option for uni, however I'm really worried that I'll be in a nightclub, and a boy will ask me what uni I go to, and if I say Oxford Brookes hell automatically think I'm stupid. I don't want to go there because of nightlife or anything, I'm only thinking of it as a 5th choice just in case I do badly. But do the Oxford people really look down upon the Oxford Brookes?

I live in Oxford and have mates at both Oxford uni and Brookes, it is hard to differentiate between them. The only time you can tell them apart is if Oxford uni students had an event and are in their formal attire or tell you; no one gives two shits. However I do find that a lot more Brookes students go out and it also depends on the day of the week.
If the boy instantly judges you on being stupid then they aren't the type of person you should mix with... so don;t worry
l just had a look at the uni leagues for 2017 - Oxford Brookes has gone down to 65th in the country lol.

I'm at Warwick but live in Oxford during holidays. I can confirm Oxford Brookes is looked down upon, but at least you don't try and be vague and just say oxford like some of them do.
If you look down on someone because they go to Oxford Brookes, as compared to Oxford you're probably a ****
As long as you get decent grades and gain valuable work experience during your placement year, as well as being an actual employable person I can't imagine you'll find it too difficult to get into a grad scheme.
I'm probably one of those asses people are on about, I *was at Bristol and if I saw a UWE guy on Tinder it was an automatic hell no.

Hey, pay no attention to anyone who is concerned with that kind of nonsense. Whatever uni you go to, you should be proud of it if it's your first or 2nd choice.

I proudly picked Oxford Brookes Uni and I'm happy to be part of its alma mater.

Brookes students don't really have any rivalry or friendship with Uni of Oxford. They do their own thing and we do our own thing. Most of Oxf students go to Varsity nightclub and etc, whilst Brookes students go to different ones like Bridge. I went out quite a lot and I never bumped into an Oxf student. Also, you're with your friends so you honestly don't even talk to many random people unless you're in the smoking area or toilets.

As I said, Brookes rivalry is with Reading. We have our varsity sports day with them. Oxford are in competition with Cambridge. We just keep ourselves to ourselves. Although Brookes students' love bashing Oxf students on Yik Yak because it's funny. But in a banterish way. Not in a malicious way.

Pick the uni you wish to study at not because of uni rivalry, or what league tables say, but because you want to study the subject, you think the uni will offer you what you deserve as a uni student and because you like the city and you can afford to live in there, plus job opportunities and grad career prospects.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Hey, pay no attention to anyone who is concerned with that kind of nonsense. Whatever uni you go to, you should be proud of it if it's your first or 2nd choice.

I proudly picked Oxford Brookes Uni and I'm happy to be part of its alma mater.

Brookes students don't really have any rivalry or friendship with Uni of Oxford. They do their own thing and we do our own thing. Most of Oxf students go to Varsity nightclub and etc, whilst Brookes students go to different ones like Bridge. I went out quite a lot and I never bumped into an Oxf student. Also, you're with your friends so you honestly don't even talk to many random people unless you're in the smoking area or toilets.

As I said, Brookes rivalry is with Reading. We have our varsity sports day with them. Oxford are in competition with Cambridge. We just keep ourselves to ourselves. Although Brookes students' love bashing Oxf students on Yik Yak because it's funny. But in a banterish way. Not in a malicious way.

Pick the uni you wish to study at not because of uni rivalry, or what league tables say, but because you want to study the subject, you think the uni will offer you what you deserve as a uni student and because you like the city and you can afford to live in there, plus job opportunities and grad career prospects.

Excellent answer, especially the final para.
Original post by Katiee224
There's nothing wrong with going to oxford brookes, no one will think you're stupid.

I have bad news for you....

Also, I'm just chuckling at the imagine in my head of roadmen from oxford brookes in a club with people from oxford
Original post by Lawliettt
I have bad news for you....

Also, I'm just chuckling at the imagine in my head of roadmen from oxford brookes in a club with people from oxford

The students at brooke's achieve higher than a grade C in AS maths...
I doubt Oxbridgers would tend to hang out in night clubs, more sort of upmarket bars. Dance music belongs to the man on the street.
Original post by Katiee224
The students at brooke's achieve higher than a grade C in AS maths...

'Higher than a C' is vague lol. That alone isn't impressive. Besides, I wasn't saying they actually are stupid. It's still better than a lot of Uni's. I was saying, for whatever reason, people think they are.
Original post by Lawliettt
'Higher than a C' is vague lol. That alone isn't impressive. Besides, I wasn't saying they actually are stupid. It's still better than a lot of Uni's. I was saying, for whatever reason, people think they are.

I read that you achieved an C in AS maths, so I was countering your point that Brookes students are stupid. However based on your reply it seems you weren't inexplicitly mocking them so if that is the case I apolagise.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Raizelcadres
They do mix but whats so bad about it? If someone classifies you as stupid because your uni is of lower rank then those people are really immature. When you don't care what people think of you thats when you are truly free. All the best and I hope you get into the university of your choice.

Maybe stupid isn't the word, it's lazy.
Sometimes you don't get A* because you didn't work hard enough. It's getting harder and harder anyway. And people are suffering for not working harder and harder day by day.
Slaves
Reply 39
Original post by Vav Sartrean Po
Lots of people assume that Oxford Brookes is bad, just because it is right next to Oxford University... Think about a hot friend next to a fat friend, one makes the other look better (and the other one gets ignored)

But at least it made people look their way!! Imagine the hot friend wasn't there at all, would have been worse.

Latest

Trending

Trending