The Student Room Group

Parents want me to get a job

I'm 18, just finished my a levels. I'm not a very sociable person and my parents want me to work during summer. I don't really want to. Is that bad of me? What should I do?
What else do you plan on doing over the summer?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 18, just finished my a levels. I'm not a very sociable person and my parents want me to work during summer. I don't really want to. Is that bad of me? What should I do?

A lot of people will probably tell you that it's unreasonable of you but personally, I sympathise. You deserve a break over the summer after studying all year. I have just finished by A2s and I certainly need one. Are your parents actually forcing you to get a job?
Its good to have some work experience on your CV and extra money is always useful if thats an issue for you...otherwise you have the rest of your life to work so just relax and enjoy the summer

Working can be fun and you meet some great people! Plus, with the money you earn you can buy whatever you wish. If it is going to be your first job then it can be daunting but it's great practice for the future.
Reply 5
Original post by Platopus
A lot of people will probably tell you that it's unreasonable of you but personally, I sympathise. You deserve a break over the summer after studying all year. I have just finished by A2s and I certainly need one. Are your parents actually forcing you to get a job?

It depends what you define forcing as to be honest.
They are always complaining that I am "leeching off them" and all I do is "take, take, take". They have told me they will only contribute towards my university funds if I get a job and earn money too. This puts me in a really bad position because If I don't get money from them I won't be able to afford to go to university.
Reply 6
Original post by PugDevil
Working can be fun and you meet some great people! Plus, with the money you earn you can buy whatever you wish. If it is going to be your first job then it can be daunting but it's great practice for the future.

I had a job last summer but it didn't last long. It just felt really awkward. Like I said earlier, I'm not a very sociable person. I would love to be able just walk into places and ask if they have job openings, but I can't.
I had a job last summer but it didn't last long. It just felt really awkward. Like I said earlier, I'm not a very sociable person. I would love to be able just walk into places and ask if they have job openings, but I can't.

If it felt really awkward then you could try and find a job where social interaction is rare? Like working at a library?
They are always complaining that I am "leeching off them" and all I do is "take, take, take". They have told me they will only contribute towards my university funds if I get a job and earn money too. This puts me in a really bad position because If I don't get money from them I won't be able to afford to go to university.

I see. So you didn't get a student loan? I suppose that would put you in a difficult position. Perhaps you could come to a compromise by only getting a part time job?

Then you need to get a job. It's not the end of the world, tbh you might not find one anyway but you should give job searching a good go. You are more than old enough to be working, I got a job at 16 and started paying for my own stuff, so I'm not surprised they want you to start contributing, especially if they're going to help you out at uni (remember they have to work for that money!). Having work experience and extra money for uni are positive things anyway and working 10-25 hours a week would get them off your back while leaving you plenty of time for stuff you wanted to do.

Then you need to start practicing those skills now while the stakes are low. Starting a new job always feels awkward but you have to keep at it to get past that phase. Increasing your confidence and ability to cope with things that make you uncomfortable can only be a good thing.

So do you plan on living off your parents forever because you find work awkward? Your parents are doing you a massive favour to be honest. You're an adult and you need to learn to be independent at some point. You should get a job and make working on your social skills a priority.
(edited 7 years ago)

Then you should get a job. You need to develop these basic skills now rather than later.

What happens if you get to university and realise things are difficult meaning you need to get a part time job?

Or what about after university when you are job hunting?

It may seem harsh but I'd say do it.
surely its better to have a job then to be sitting at home bored :/
Play games online and be like, 'THIS EARNS ME MONEY MUM FOR REASONS YOU'RE TOO OLD TO UNDERSTAND'

Spoiler

Do voluntary work to get experience and meet new people. This will help with your social anxiety and there is no harm in applying for jobs online by just sending your cv. It's hard to get a job so chances are you won't get any or many replies anyway but at least you can tell your parents you tried but could not get anything or just lie to them and pretend your applying for jobs or pretend you take your cv into shops but no one replies back

I completely understand, I've also just finished my A2's, and they certainly drained the life out of me! You do deserve a break.

However, on the contrary, my parents will not let me find a job (because it's too "dangerous", or I might get "attacked", I know, it's ridiculous). Right now I would do anything to get a job and earn some money.

If you don't want to work, that's up to you. But in your situation, I'd be thankful of the opportunity; at least your parents allow you to work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending