The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone else feel like they want to do things but they just can't :erm: - it's so hard bc I feel so motivated to do things yet at the same time there's something in my way and it won't move, no matter how much I want to overcome it.:cry:
Anxious about tomorrow :redface:
Why is it last thing as well? :/ gonna spend the entire day having palpitations over it when i could have just got it out the way :s-smilie:

~Anon 1
Original post by ScaryScience
Right, Saber. You're being *way* too hard on yourself first of all, so I'm going to give you a hug :hugs: Also, well done on the dissections, you did a great job and should be proud. Try not to think 'well even though I've done well, I did rubbish in X so I'll never get my grade up'. Give yourself where credit is due. Don't try and think about it as a massive picture, take each and every day like a new beginning. I averaged 63% in my degree, but had results as low as 30% and many around the 40s. It doesn't mean you can't finish with a respectable grade. It's ok to find it difficult - you must also remember that you are dealing with a hell of a lot more than your spouse had to. Mental illness and studying don't usually mix and it's tough, but it doesn't mean it won't be worth it. It is also worth mentioning that other people have faith in you - you would not have been admitted onto the course if the staff did not think you were capable. It sounds like you have a hell of a lot of pressure on you in terms of lectures. I could never ever learn from a lecture, so didn't bother going. Have you got a disability advisor or a tutor you can confide in? Sometimes lectures are recorded for those with disabilities, which can help. Or you could get a Dictaphone, so you could listen back at your own pace. It sounds like you need support with managing your mental health difficulties and your studies together, and I would suggest you tell whoever you can about what's going on for you, before you get too behind.

Thank you for the reply Scary. And the hug :hugs:

Things are a little different here - an A is 90%, B is 80%, C 70% etc so a 36% is really, really bad. I have a lab exam tomorrow and a lecture exam on Thursday and combined they make up 25% of the class - so even if I was to get 100% on each I'd only just scrape a D.

I have neither a disability adviser nor tutor. I went to the disability dept. last semester and they can't help with anything until I get a detailed report from a psychologist. I have a "academic adviser" but I think she's mostly just to make sure I'm taking the classes I need to etc. I'm not sure if I can talk to her about my mental health. :/

So yeah...things are pretty bad. The professor for this class puts videos online but they're more introductory for each topic. I was on top of things at the start of this class but now I've fallen way behind as I just cannot concentrate during lectures or even reading the textbook by myself at home. Things just seems to be getting worse and worse.

How're things with you?
Original post by Airmed

Good luck with your exam!

Cheers, it was alright, too tired to care rn lol
I hope your trip was okay too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sherbet_lemons7
Big hugs! :hugs: You're always in my prayers chook. :lovehug:*

I'm okay. :smile: Just things are very wobbly at the moment. :frown: But have lots of support in place this time- am very lucky. :smile:

I know! :gasp: We need a catch up- it's been ages! :loveduck:*
Sorry things are so wobbly your end :frown: If it would ever help to talk, you know where I am. I'm glad you've got support, that's important. You're just getting what you need and deserve :yes: :hugs: I'll pop you a message on Facebook when I'm feeling a little better. Sending love.

Original post by Sabertooth

Things are a little different here - an A is 90%, B is 80%, C 70% etc so a 36% is really, really bad. I have a lab exam tomorrow and a lecture exam on Thursday and combined they make up 25% of the class - so even if I was to get 100% on each I'd only just scrape a D.

I have neither a disability adviser nor tutor. I went to the disability dept. last semester and they can't help with anything until I get a detailed report from a psychologist. I have a "academic adviser" but I think she's mostly just to make sure I'm taking the classes I need to etc. I'm not sure if I can talk to her about my mental health. :/

So yeah...things are pretty bad. The professor for this class puts videos online but they're more introductory for each topic. I was on top of things at the start of this class but now I've fallen way behind as I just cannot concentrate during lectures or even reading the textbook by myself at home. Things just seems to be getting worse and worse.

How're things with you?
But that's *one* mark, Saber. Try not to fixate if you can, and base your worth and your envisaged future on that (also once I'd written the reply, I also remembered that I got 5% in my astrophysics module in second year :colondollar:) so honestly, it's alright. there's a way to move forward. Is there a chance you could get a report from a psychologist? I would speak to your academic advisor - she probably won't be able to help directly, but you have an issue that is affecting your work, and she might be able to put you into contact with other services that could help. I would also suggest emailing the professor of the module and asking for some advice/let them know you're struggling. They might be able to give you some 1:1 help, or signpost you to services or resources of help. It's important you tell *someone* :hugs:
20 minutes into studying for my test tomorrow and I've already had 2 panic attacks. (On the plus-side: at least they were short ones... Nonetheless they were pretty bad) I am so scared for tomorrow... Now I just need to find a way to get those attacks under control at least for now so that I can actually study...
Just found out my English tutor from last semester died of a short illness on Friday past. :frown:
Original post by Airmed
Just found out my English tutor from last semester died of a short illness on Friday past. :frown:

Omg.... I'm sorry to hear this! :frown:
Original post by ScaryScience
But that's *one* mark, Saber. Try not to fixate if you can, and base your worth and your envisaged future on that (also once I'd written the reply, I also remembered that I got 5% in my astrophysics module in second year :colondollar:) so honestly, it's alright. there's a way to move forward. Is there a chance you could get a report from a psychologist? I would speak to your academic advisor - she probably won't be able to help directly, but you have an issue that is affecting your work, and she might be able to put you into contact with other services that could help. I would also suggest emailing the professor of the module and asking for some advice/let them know you're struggling. They might be able to give you some 1:1 help, or signpost you to services or resources of help. It's important you tell *someone* :hugs:

Hi Scary. :smile:

But astrophysics....yeah I don't think I could do that one. Physics at school was bad enough! :colondollar: Go you for trying though, that can't have been easy.

The psychologist report has to come from a particular one who is based in the main city 120miles from me and it's a 2 day process so I'd also have to stay in a hotel overnight. so yeah....I really wanted to cope without doing that but I'm struggling so much with this one class that I have no idea how I'll cope with 4 in the autumn so ultimately it might be something I'll have to do. I will take your advice and talk to my academic adviser, I hope she can put me in contact with some kind of help if she can't help herself. But I agree, I really have to do something/talk to someone

I emailed the professor the day I got my first exam result (42%) and explained that I struggle with memorization & concentration and her main response was basically that I can talk to her about things if I don't understand but she can't do anything to help me with the exams. The problem isn't that I don't understand, it's that the voices won't shut the **** up and they make concentration very difficult. This is a heavy memorization class rather than working stuff out (it's anatomy) so I'm kind of screwed there. She's a really helpful and friendly professor but I don't think there's anything she can do.

Thanks for the advice. Hope you're ok.

Original post by Anonymous
It is very understandable and I'm sorry. But congratulations on the dissection, you did it on your own merits and you got the scores you did by your excellent ability. Have more confidence in yourself, you're on the right track.

In regards to your work, can you not speak to a course leader?

I know that sometimes blocks of text can be overwhelming but try looking at things holistically. Look at the whole text and read it, a few times if you have to. Then deconstruct it and learn concept by concept. You don't have to keep going deep into sources and definitions; you don't need to do things chronologically because I feel like concepts piece together in the end and you'll understand by learning all of the different components that make up a whole. I hope this helps (it seems to help me), and I hope you feel better soon. :smile:

P.S. You are most certainly not a loser, quite the opposite, it sounds like.

Thanks for the advice Anon. :smile: I have real bad problems with concentrating and just thinking in general right now. I also had 30 of these online quizzes to do so trying to do the appropriate amount of reading for each question (20-35 questions; some with 10+ parts) was just impossible. I'm out of motivation, I've failed the class already so I'm not gonna follow your advice, however, I do appreciate your help and I have C&Ped what you wrote onto a word doc so I can use it next semester in my more heavy-reading classes. So thanks for that.

How're you? Not seen you much around here.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Anyone ever tried a depression support group? If so, how was it for you?

Lonliness is a big trigger of my depression, and I've tried many ways to battle it but with not much luck. I've found a depression support group in my area and I'm thinking of going along to try it. Part of me hopes to make friends there, but even I I don't, then at least it might help in other ways?

Just try, be prepared to be maybe not excited about it, but as it allways totally depends on the people, I would just try and then decide.

Original post by Sabertooth

Hei!

I would even say, a bad grade is also okay, a pass is a pass. It is pretty late, so I write shorter, as I should go into bed, after only having procastrinated.... have an exam, though ....

Maybe I am here around more often again... wanted to avoid the Brexit debate, but now, just, :frown:, at least I am know more experience, that life doesn't allways play, as you want it, a younger me would have been totally destroyed.

That with the psychatrists sounds really annoying ... though I hope you can make it there some time. Good luck for studying!
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Anyone ever tried a depression support group? If so, how was it for you?

Lonliness is a big trigger of my depression, and I've tried many ways to battle it but with not much luck. I've found a depression support group in my area and I'm thinking of going along to try it. Part of me hopes to make friends there, but even I I don't, then at least it might help in other ways?

I tried a "hearing-voices support group" a few years ago. It actually made me feel really depressed because I was the youngest by a good 25 years and all these older people were still struggling with their voices every day - it made me feel hopeless about the future. I don't know if a depression support group would be the same but I think you should give it a go, you never know :smile:

If you're looking for social activities have you tried seeing if your local Mind charity has any classes/events? I did badminton and an art group with them and found it great for getting out of the house and interacting with people.
Original post by Nathanielle
Hei!

I would even say, a bad grade is also okay, a pass is a pass. It is pretty late, so I write shorter, as I should go into bed, after only having procastrinated.... have an exam, though ....

Maybe I am here around more often again... wanted to avoid the Brexit debate, but now, just, :frown:, at least I am know more experience, that life doesn't allways play, as you want it, a younger me would have been totally destroyed.

That with the psychatrists sounds really annoying ... though I hope you can make it there some time. Good luck for studying!

Hi Nathanielle!

The thing is that an F is not a pass. I need 100% in both my remaining exams to get a D which would count as a pass. And that's not good enough either. I'm going to have to redo this class a third time as it's counted as a core one so I need at least a C which is impossible. :frown:

Hope you manage to get a good night's sleep, and good luck with the exam! You can do it! :five:

Man, I get what you mean about wanting to avoid the Brexit debate. All the threads here were driving me up the wall, I banned myself from reading any to avoid getting incredibly pissed off. :colonhash: Were you planning on going to the UK?

Btw, how's the rugby going? :smile:
Original post by Deyesy
It is indeed :smile: It was made the 'Mental Health Support Society' to encompass all mental illnesses

Thanks. I used to post in dep soc a lot (had a different account). I feel down but also a little past it to post in this forum. I may just loiter.
Original post by Ezme39
Passed the first year of uni!! :smile: so happy right now

Well done!!!!
Now you can go and enjoy yourself for the summer :biggrin:
Damn, I wake up early and am greeted by my worst OCD trigger. Such joy. Now I'm gonna yo and 2 hours getting rid of it by doing my damn rituals
It's only just started and today's been a bad day!!

Although I am seeing a psychologist/counsellor later.
Original post by FireFreezer77
Well done!!!!
Now you can go and enjoy yourself for the summer :biggrin:

Thank you :biggrin:
Hi, yesterday night I had a huge panic attack, I couldn't stop hyperventilating or shaking. I couldn't sleep, nor have I been able to sleep for a good two weeks now. I can't get on with my day, I can't think straight and I can't focus on anything.
My life objectively would be seen as probably very good, I come from a quite fortunate background, I'm studying the degree that I want (Physical Natural Sciences) at the University I want (Cambridge) achieving the grades that I want (Currently on a comfortable first class). My life has been successful all around. But something nags me. I'm not quite willing to share why I think I had this panic attack, but I don't have a history with mental health or anything, I have been very clean with regards to that. However, I have had to deal with very close friends who are/have gone/going through depression for various reasons, but I'm quite sure that this has nothing to do with it.
How do you deal with a panic attack? I would like to think it was a one off, but recently I'm not too sure anymore.

I've been feeling quite down recently with various events striking me. Things that I thought were going well, weren't. Things that I thought I had under control, weren't. I feel like I'm being pushed away, neglected. And my responses to those are negative and filled with emotion. I don't know how to deal with it.
Hi, yesterday night I had a huge panic attack, I couldn't stop hyperventilating or shaking. I couldn't sleep, nor have I been able to sleep for a good two weeks now. I can't get on with my day, I can't think straight and I can't focus on anything.
My life objectively would be seen as probably very good, I come from a quite fortunate background, I'm studying the degree that I want (Physical Natural Sciences) at the University I want (Cambridge) achieving the grades that I want (Currently on a comfortable first class). My life has been successful all around. But something nags me. I'm not quite willing to share why I think I had this panic attack, but I don't have a history with mental health or anything, I have been very clean with regards to that. However, I have had to deal with very close friends who are/have gone/going through depression for various reasons, but I'm quite sure that this has nothing to do with it.
How do you deal with a panic attack? I would like to think it was a one off, but recently I'm not too sure anymore.

I've been feeling quite down recently with various events striking me. Things that I thought were going well, weren't. Things that I thought I had under control, weren't. I feel like I'm being pushed away, neglected. And my responses to those are negative and filled with emotion. I don't know how to deal with it.

The best thing to do is just try to forget about it, because if you keep thinking about it, you will eventually possibly develop a fear of having a panic attack which would lead to having a panic attack about the fear of having one. [This happened to me].

Try some breathing methods when you have a panic attack, like breathing in and out really slowly and if it gets really bad, try and seek help because it could be a lot more serious. It could be more than the occasional case of stress or some sort of phobia response.

Sometimes, they can be one-off's, but in other cases it could be panic disorder beginning to surface. Not to scare you though.
Original post by RamPaigeTheSky
The best thing to do is just try to forget about it, because if you keep thinking about it, you will eventually possibly develop a fear of having a panic attack which would lead to having a panic attack about the fear of having one. [This happened to me].

Try some breathing methods when you have a panic attack, like breathing in and out really slowly and if it gets really bad, try and seek help because it could be a lot more serious. It could be more than the occasional case of stress or some sort of phobia response.

Sometimes, they can be one-off's, but in other cases it could be panic disorder beginning to surface. Not to scare you though.

I'm guessing you mean forget about the panic attack, that much is fine, but the reasons that lead to the development of it are not easy things to forget. They are ongoing things that go on in my life and things that have developed quite recently (over the past 2-4 months). The reasons are quite personal, although I say my close friends couldn't have triggered this, but one of them happened to be my girlfriend and that quite possibly is what is triggering this. She is going through an extremely tough time and I can't stop thinking about it, I can't stop feeling helpless, I can't stop feeling like I've failed her. All these things lead me to breakdown.

I'll take your advice on board for the panic attack, if one pops up in the future, which at this rate, is quite likely.
I'm guessing you mean forget about the panic attack, that much is fine, but the reasons that lead to the development of it are not easy things to forget. They are ongoing things that go on in my life and things that have developed quite recently (over the past 2-4 months). The reasons are quite personal, although I say my close friends couldn't have triggered this, but one of them happened to be my girlfriend and that quite possibly is what is triggering this. She is going through an extremely tough time and I can't stop thinking about it, I can't stop feeling helpless, I can't stop feeling like I've failed her. All these things lead me to breakdown.

I'll take your advice on board for the panic attack, if one pops up in the future, which at this rate, is quite likely.

Not trying to sound funny, but PLEASE go to the GP and check to see if you have panic disorder. What you've just said about the feeling of hopelessness and failure as well as the shaking, hyperventilating etc. are all signs of panic disorder. I had similar symptoms and I ended up being diagnoed with panic disorder. [This doesn't mean that there's a 100% chance that you've got it, it could be something more complex or simple]

Latest