The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohgeez
Hitler didn't like Slavs and it seems neither do Brits.

Hitler called them 'unter menschen' - less than human. This should be a warning to us all that demonising people because they are different or foreign is dangerous. As soon as people actually mix with others they lose their prejudices and enjoy the interaction.

We have more in common than divides us. We can and have learnt so much from each other.
cause eastern european women look like this :lol:
Dey took err jawbs i saw it in da documantery (tbh was so surprised someone they interviewed said a word as big as documentary...)

Thing is when I look on indeed, reed etc, there seems to be no end of low skilled jobs around, in fairness likely not enough for every single unemployed person, but the nature of the economy means you'll never have 100% employment....but when it's the same people with no job for decades..they're the problem. If a Polish guy with a reasonable but not fantastic grip of English keeps getting jobs you don't...you need to look in the mirror. Work ethic is a big thing, yeah of course it's a generalisation but I've had actual conversations with either jobless or dead end min wage workers who've said things like "Well I ain't doing that, says you got to start at 5am? **** that. Gotta do weekend shifts? **** that I ain't doing weekends who'd do that?" etc.

The only caveat I'd have is that again obviously I can only speak from what I see where I live in Nottingham, but when foreign workers set up their own businesses, mainly say cafe's, restaurants, hair dressers, they have a very high tendency to exclusively have those from their community employed. This is especially an issue with Chinese businesses in my area due to the high number of Chinese students(lol non-EU), where more and more signs are being put up only in Chinese and apparently (as in asking Chinese folks to translate) many are job advertisements, others are menus with no English which obviously doesn't help integration.

In general though, better yourself, we need as many young workers as possible, especially if they end up going home when they're older, to pay for the costs of an aging population.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KingBradly
I've heard there's been some hostility towards Eastern Europeans recently, especially after Brexit. Just seems odd as the Eastern Europeans I've met have been decent people, and their values are not entirely unlike our own. I've worked with Romanians, travelled to various Eastern European countries, and I live in an area where lots of Romainians and Poles live and I honestly cannot understand the hostility towards them other than the fact they take jobs. I can see why people would be frustrated about that but the Eastern Europeans themselves don't deserve it, they completely understandably are just taking an opportunity to make a better life for themselves. Just seems pretty uncalled for to bully them.

Completely agree. I know a few Poles and don't have anything bad to say about them.

It's easier to look for scapegoats rather than face up to your own problems
(edited 7 years ago)
I've heard there's been some hostility towards Eastern Europeans recently, especially after Brexit. Just seems odd as the Eastern Europeans I've met have been decent people, and their values are not entirely unlike our own. I've worked with Romanians, travelled to various Eastern European countries, and I live in an area where lots of Romainians and Poles live and I honestly cannot understand the hostility towards them other than the fact they take jobs. I can see why people would be frustrated about that but the Eastern Europeans themselves don't deserve it, they completely understandably are just taking an opportunity to make a better life for themselves. Just seems pretty uncalled for to bully them.

:congrats: I couldn't have said it better myself.

Although I'm not European minority, (British Chinese) and having parents as immigrants, they really do want to build a better life for themselves. No they don't speak fluent English but they do work hard and pay their taxes unlike some people.

I used to work with a Polish and a Romanian and oh my word do they work hard; they don't complain about the work conditions and they are willing to do it for tuppence!
I guess there's a few reasons.

They're an easier target than Muslims. You can harass a Pole and it is unlikely you'll get lynched, unless you're in a hotspot like Hereford or Llanelli.

The left wing media has made it fashionable to hate on white people.

They generally work harder than British people and have a better attitude, so employers don't have to put up with mouthy chavs.

But I very much doubt this is all to do with brexit, I think that's the media going after leave voters.
A lot just seem to take jobs and not pay tax and live in disgusting conditions, leaving rubbish outside properties and on the street etc. A man was stabbed at a car boot near me by a Eastern European recently aswell

I agree.

I've never heard of them being bullied, nor have I seen anything like it online.

What I have seen, however, is a shocking level of hostility to white members of society following the referendum.

It's basically loads of people FOCUSING ON RACE whilst complaining about racism.
Deep-rooted inadequacy. Let's be quite honest, this country has a history of being remarkably proud about not much at all. Not too long ago, we colonised half the world and exploited vast amounts of natural resources from now impoverished countries. In turn, that propped up our economy for decades on end and made us a world leader. We owe much of what we are to the countries we colonised. The generation that currently sealed our fate in the EU referendum and ironically calls us privileged millennials, benefitted from the 'baby-boomer market' (which was reinforced by the EEC) and had casually inherited affluence. My point is, a world where under-qualified indigenous British citizens are being out-competed by frankly, better and more hard-working european migrants is upsetting. And as I alluded to above, our largely entitled, indigenous workforce are being supported by an ageing population that see casual inequality as the norm. It's a recipe for disaster and a glaringly obvious sign that people still don't want to accept globalization.
The hatred is being blown out of proportion,and the media is only fueling the agenda
Original post by Boreism
:congrats: I couldn't have said it better myself.

Although I'm not European minority, (British Chinese) and having parents as immigrants, they really do want to build a better life for themselves. No they don't speak fluent English but they do work hard and pay their taxes unlike some people.

I used to work with a Polish and a Romanian and oh my word do they work hard; they don't complain about the work conditions and they are willing to do it for tuppence!

Same could be said for Africans and Asian immigrants but working for a tuppence is noting to be proud of.
Its a damn shame tbh
Original post by Blue_Mason
Same could be said for Africans and Asian immigrants but working for a tuppence is noting to be proud of.
Its a damn shame tbh

As opposed to those who don't want to work to earn a wage, but instead deliberately not finding a job and earning someone else's wage by claiming from the state? That is what most immigrants come here for, and that is what angers people in this country.

Besides, ever heard of the saying ''someone has to start somewhere right?''
You would understand that from someone who has no previous work experience (ask any unemployed graduate nowadays).
In my defence I'm not saying all graduates are like this.

I understand where you're coming from though in regards to other ethnic minorities.
(edited 7 years ago)

I've always thought people just use them as a scapegoat when they are unemployed. People say they steal jobs when in reality they wouldn't be prepared to work nearly as hard as they do.
Original post by Boreism
Opposed to those who don't want to work to earn a wage, but instead deliberately not finding a job and earning someone else's wage by claiming from the state?
Ever heard of the saying someone has to start somewhere right?
You would understand that from someone who has no previous work experience (ask any unemployed graduate nowadays).
In my defence I'm not saying all graduates are like this.
I understand where you're coming from though in regards to other ethnic minorities.

And?

They will always be people from all walks of life who do not want to work.

Yes but some of these jobs are appalling,dehumanizing and should not exists.
They might work hard,but not hard enough to pay an actual wage
(edited 7 years ago)
Some including my uncle dislike them because they lost their job due to them, their hatred of them is spread onto others who inevitably will talk about it to others meaning that it falls onto the uneducated Nigel Farage who used the immigration argument for Brexit. This meant that people only think about the short run effects.
If more considered the long run or listened to economics students(even a-level ones), they'd know that in the long run more jobs are actually being provided, if not then the costs of living will be significantly cheaper than what it would've been
@KingBradly Did someone hack your account? One day you're ranting about remainers and the next you're delicately correlating nationalism to Brexit?

Now I've not really seen many of your posts tbh to say if you're being inconsistent about particular dislike for EU migrants with this thread but it still is strange, like you're surrendering to TSRian remainers or something :erm:

Anyway to answer your question you angelizing Romanians, Poles etc is a bit ridiculous. There are despicable people in all ethnic groups, come on. So this "Romanians are such amazing wonderful people" sounds a bit utopic if not downright dishonest. But maybe you've been getting a lotta heat for your very recent rant and you can't handle it so you wanna be a sudden diplomat with this thread :rofl:

Also, since you're asking about why people hate others, you're asking them to explain their opinion which means anecdotes are necessary here:

anecdotally, I've not met very respectful or decent Romanians; my Polish neighbours who have since been ostracized were more cordial and neighbourly and invited us to bbqs and stuff over the months since they came. Sometimes we declined, sometimes we waved at em and nibbled on some snacks they brought whatever. But the Romanians?! :nah:
They nest like roaches, 10 of em piled in one flat.
They're loud, at all hours,
they go through rubbish,
their kids swear aggressively at random people and pick on other kids so the parents constantly have to confront them, but the mother keeps flailing her arms and shrieking in her language at people, and the father laughs fondly.
The police and council have to keep coming over which is annoying because either they're ringing em up Idk or the police are being called on them, constant. So they disturb the peace sometimes >_>
They don't say hi back,
they leave messes,
they're very unreasonable at least the last few families I've endured recently.

And they take jobs and homes Idc if it's a meme or not, it's true. But everyone needs jobs and homes. The issue there are the dodgy landlords and employers :dry:

When there isn't trouble there's no trouble obviously. But there's constantly trouble. I'm not sure about all this honourable work ethic though; I've never worked with a Romanian. I'm sure there's lazy Romanians :colonhash: but they CAME HERE TO work so of COURSE they're gonna have "work ethic." I have gone to school with them and whatever they were like other kids just a bit more difficult to discipline sometimes because of language barrier. So I think they get frustrated and just lash out or swear. That never bothered me though but it does debunk these claims that they're angels.

That being said not much of this is necessarily worthy of hatred, but arguments and altercations sure, they're human, and those things happen, deal with it. If I yelled at another Brit you wouldnt say, "where's the hatred for Brits coming from" would you. It's just people having a disagreement...

I would like to be linked to all these stories to corroborate that EU hatred has risen though. That would be good to read over dinner. :h:
Original post by BrianMcEgg
Some including my uncle dislike them because they lost their job due to them, their hatred of them is spread onto others who inevitably will talk about it to others meaning that it falls onto the uneducated Nigel Farage who used the immigration argument for Brexit. This meant that people only think about the short run effects.
If more considered the long run or listened to economics students(even a-level ones), they'd know that in the long run more jobs are actually being provided, if not then the costs of living will be significantly cheaper than what it would've been

That is not how economic works in this current climate
Original post by niv1234
I've always thought people just use them as a scapegoat when they are unemployed. People say they steal jobs when in reality they wouldn't be prepared to work nearly as hard as they do.

?? Ok so most people say

Romanians take jobs no one wants.

So what is it they're working hard at doing?...
Original post by Blue_Mason
And?
They will always be people from all walks of life who do not want to work.
Yes but some of these jobs are appalling,dehumanizing and should not exists.

I agree to an extent but whatever the job it still has to be done, for example graduates don't intend to get a job as a cleaner, because like you said, its dehumanising and 'should not exist', but can you think of a way how toilets get cleaned?
Original post by 0to100
?? Ok so most people say

Romanians take jobs no one wants.

So what is it they're working hard at doing?...

The people who say these things aren't normally willing to search as hard for jobs or put so much effort into them. They are much more picky about what they want to do instead of just doing whatever they are given.

Latest