The Student Room Group

writing equation using indices

learning C1 atm and the text book doesnt really go into details about writing equation using indices -_-

why does 6/x² become 6x⁻²
and why does 3/2x^-1/2 become 3/2√4

(so sorry for the second one, im not familiar with making the -1/2 on computer :redface: )
x^(-n) = 1/(x^n). The - in a power makes it the denominator. The number in front of the x values isn't affected because you are multiplying the function of x^-n by that value.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Here's the picture to make it more clear

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well by definition xn=1xnx^{-n} = \frac{1}{x^n}, that's something you just have to learn. So 6x2=6×1x2=6x2\frac{6}{x^2}=6 \times \frac{1}{x^2} = 6x^{-2}. Using the exact same reasoning, 32x12=32×1x12=32×1x=32x\frac{3}{2}x^{-\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{3}{2}\times \frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{2}}} = \frac{3}{2} \times \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} = \frac{3}{2\sqrt{x}}
Original post by Plagioclase
Well by definition xn=1xnx^{-n} = \frac{1}{x^n}, that's something you just have to learn. So 6x2=6×1x2=6x2\frac{6}{x^2}=6 \times \frac{1}{x^2} = 6x^{-2}. Using the exact same reasoning, 32x12=32×1x12=32×1x=32x\frac{3}{2}x^{-\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{3}{2}\times \frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{2}}} = \frac{3}{2} \times \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} = \frac{3}{2\sqrt{x}}

x1x=1 x*\frac{1}{x}=1 and similarly, xx1=x1x1=x(11)=x0=1 x*x^{-1}=x^1x^{-1}=x^{(1-1)}=x^0=1 therefore x1x=xx1x*\frac{1}{x}=x*x^{-1} ; divide both sides by x, 1x=x1\frac{1}{x}=x^{-1}
Reply 5
Original post by Vikingninja
x^(-n) = 1/(x^n). The - in a power makes it the denominator. The number in front of the x values isn't affected because you are multiplying the function of x^-n by that value.

Well by definition xn=1xnx^{-n} = \frac{1}{x^n}, that's something you just have to learn. So 6x2=6×1x2=6x2\frac{6}{x^2}=6 \times \frac{1}{x^2} = 6x^{-2}. Using the exact same reasoning, 32x12\frac{3}{2}x^{-\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{3}{2}\times \frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{2}}} = \frac{3}{2} \times \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} = \frac{3}{2\sqrt{x}}

thanks, i stared at this for 5 minutes and finally got it :redface:

would u say 3/2x ^ -1/2 is the hardest i'll get?
(edited 7 years ago)
It'll be harder in exams but you will have a while to practice it. You can get stuff like -4/3.
Reply 7
It'll be harder in exams but you will have a while to practice it. You can get stuff like -4/3.

to the power of -4/3?

so i would cube root it and raise it to power of 4 but only for x, not the number before it as it's unaffected by the power? am i right? :redface:
No, but these things will get a lot easier over time as you get used to them :smile:
Reply 9
No, but these things will get a lot easier over time as you get used to them :smile:

how do you remember it? do you write notes about little things like this or do you just do questions on it to let it sink in? i feel like i shouldnt study maths like i would with history with tons of notes and stuff
Well first you would flip it to be 1 over that number raised to the 4/3 (we call this to be the reciprocal). Then you cube root that number while raising it to the 4th power.

Alternatively, after you take the reciprocal, you can split the 4/3 into 1+1/3 and think of that power as a sum, hence you can separate the variable using laws of indices.
(edited 7 years ago)
You will do loads of questions. Practice makes perfect. After GCSE maths and 2 A-Level maths subjects, I can safely say I never looked back on my books in terms of notes unless it is a subject I'm really not confident on. You just practice loads of questions and it sinks in.
Original post by RDKGames
Well first you would flip it to be 1 over that number raised to the 4/3 (we call this to be the reciprocal). Then you cube root that number while raising it to the 4th power.

Alternatively, after you take the reciprocal, you can split the 4/3 into 1+1/3 and think of that power as a sum, hence you can separate this using laws of indices.

that made more sense to me :hoppy:
You would put it as the denominator first so then its to the power of 4/3, then get the value to the power of 4 and then cube root that. You won't necessarily have to always find a value of x to a power with this stuff.
Lots, and lots, and lots of practice.
You would put it as the denominator first so then its to the power of 4/3, then get the value to the power of 4 and then cube root that. You won't necessarily have to always find a value of x to a power with this stuff.

Lots, and lots, and lots of practice.

thanks, i think i can finally move on from indices now :redface:
Also you should note that the order in which you perform the raise of power and the root is irrelevant. This is simply due to laws of indices.

(54)13=(513)4 (5^4)^\frac{1}{3} = (5^\frac{1}{3})^4 because they just multiply anyway by the laws of indices.

Quick Reply

Latest