The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Statistics 2016 Unofficial Mark Schem

Give me anything you remember about today's AQA GCSE statistics exam and i'll add it to this unofficial mark scheme.

1. Store manager predicting basket, large trolley or small troley:
- 3 people (out of 15 would choose a basket, as 2/10 * 15 = 3)
- Frequency - 7 large trolleys, 7 small trolleys, 1 basket
- Similarity - equal chance of large and small trolley
- Difference - 1 basket out of 15 people when would expect 3 baskets out of 15 people

- Concert question
- £60 average for tickets for 4 friends
- Systematic sampling
- For a sample of 40, an interval of every 20 chairs is needed (out of 400), not an interval of 10 like the manager suggested (which would give a sample size of 80 or exclude half of the people)

- Spinner to win bottles
- Probability of not winning a bottle = 18/25
- Show probability of winning at least 1 bottle from 3 goes is more than 0.6 - 1-Probability(not winning anything from 3 goes) = 9793/15625 = 0.62752 which is > 0.6

- Open and closed questions -
- Closed has fixed number of of answers whereas open can be answered however the respondent likes
- Advantages of closed?: can use computers to handle, less variable answers, can clarify the question,

- Cumulative frequency step polygon -
- median = 4?, 2nd decile = 2, 8th decile = 8, decile range = 6

- Musical instruments -
- most popular from each gender was keyboard and piano
- Why not 61% of girls playing either keyboard or piano -

- Online shopping -
- More in Q4 as Christmas time
- average seasonal effect of Q1 is around -0.43333 or -0.45
- predicted Q4 in next year is around 8.something

- CPI v Jeans prices
- like 100 - 81.9 or something for how clothing price has decreased since 2005
- jeans price went up by higher percentage than CPI from 2009-2013 (like 4.5% to 4.2% or something)

- Frogs
- Mean of like 35.5
- S.D of 10.5
- 10,000 population
- population would be lower if dye runs off

- Women's heptathlon -
- Long jump and like 800m? correlated most with like 0.53
- Shotput scores not related to 200m as no correlation with 0.02
- 0.72 correlation graph was C (with the upward gradient)

Leaves -
- More likely to be spanish bluebell as less s.d. from mean (0.7 to -0.9)

Transport for the population -
- Average miles travelled per year per person by train - 23.2

Please add anything i've missed or i've got wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey! Sorry you haven't heard back yet.

The first question was the store manager who was predicting whether customers would pick the large trolley, small trolley or basket. You had to calculate how many out of 15 would pick the basket (I got three I think). Then you had write the letter of the predicted type of holder for all 15 customers. It then showed you the results and asked you how it differed and matched what the manager had expected.

There was a question on that spinner game - where scoring 5 or 6 meant you could win a small or large bottle. They gave you a two way table showing all the possible outcomes, and asked the probability of not winning a bottle (I got 18/25). Then there was a three marker on showing that the probability of winning at least one bottle in three goes was greater than 0.6.

There was the choropleth graph (the concert one) - you've already mentioned it. I also got £60; it then said that someone was asking every tenth person in the audience with a sample size of 40, and you had to say what was wrong with that.

I remember it asked what a closed question was, and advantages over open questions.

And they also asked you to draw a cumulative frequency step polygon somewhere. It then asked you to fill in a report, by working out the median, the 2nd decile and 8th decile.

There was a table on musical instruments played by girls and boys. It asked the most popular instrument played by both genders. It also stated that someone said: '61% of girls play keyboard or (forgotten name of other instrument)' and you had to write whether it was true or not, and why.

Another question was the four-point moving averages question - where it showed seasonal trends in online sales. Every fourth season, shopping sales would soar, and you had to give a reason for this. There was table in which you had to fill in the online sales for the first season, and the trend line, and calculate the difference (my average was -0.4333..).

Something to do with base year and indexes came up - you had to compare the increase in price of a certain pair of jeans with the regular pattern/index.

Standard deviation came up - they gave you data about male and female frogs. You had to calculate the standard deviation for the male frogs (I got 10.5) and then compare with the female frogs.

Oh yeah, there was a two way table about women competing in a hepthalon (is that what it was called?) and it was on product moment correlation coefficients. You had to find the most strongly correlated with long jump. And, someone said: 'Those who do well on 200m, do well on 100m sprints' (or something like that) and you could agree or disagree and explain way (I got no, because the correlation was 0.02 so there was barely any).

The last question was to do with the widths of leaves. They gave you the mean and standard deviation for three species. You had to use standardised scores to figure out if it was a Spanish bluebell or a hybrid bluebell (I got Spanish).

That's what I can remember. Hope I helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, Thanks for making this - it is very reassuring!Can any of you guys remember what you got for the average mile travelled per person on train question?
Reply 3
I got 23.2
Original post by archibald300
Hi, Thanks for making this - it is very reassuring!Can any of you guys remember what you got for the average mile travelled per person on train question?
Original post by alexgower
Give me anything you remember about today's AQA GCSE statistics exam and i'll add it to this unofficial mark scheme.

1. Store manager predicting basket, large trolley or small troley:
- 3 people (out of 15 would choose a basket, as 2/10 * 15 = 3)
- Frequency - 7 large trolleys, 7 small trolleys, 1 basket
- Similarity - equal chance of large and small trolley
- Difference - 1 basket out of 15 people when would expect 3 baskets out of 15 people

- Concert question
- £60 average for tickets for 4 friends
- Systematic sampling
- For a sample of 40, an interval of every 20 chairs is needed (out of 400), not an interval of 10 like the manager suggested (which would give a sample size of 80 or exclude half of the people)

- Spinner to win bottles
- Probability of not winning a bottle = 18/25
- Show probability of winning at least 1 bottle from 3 goes is more than 0.6 - 1-Probability(not winning anything from 3 goes) = 0.6251 which is > 0.6

- Open and closed questions -
- Closed has fixed number of of answers whereas open can be answered however the respondent likes
- Advantages of closed?: can use computers to handle, less variable answers, can clarify the question,

- Cumulative frequency step polygon -
- median = 4?, 2nd decile = 2, 8th decile = 6?, decile range = 4?

- Musical instruments -
- most popular from each gender was keyboard and piano
- Why not 61% of girls playing either keyboard or piano -

- Online shopping -
- More in Q4 as Christmas time
- average seasonal effect of Q1 is around -0.43333 or -0.45
- predicted Q4 in next year is around 8.something

- CPI v Jeans prices
- like 100 - 81.9 or something for how clothing price has decreased since 2005
- jeans price went up by higher percentage than CPI from 2009-2013 (like 4.5% to 4.2% or something)

- Frogs
- Mean of like 35.5
- S.D of 10.5
- 10,000 population
- population would be lower if dye runs off

- Women's heptathlon -
- Long jump and like 800m? correlated most with like 0.53
- Shotput scores not related to 200m as no correlation with 0.02
- 0.72 correlation graph was C (with the upward gradient)

Leaves -
- More likely to be spanish bluebell as less s.d. from mean (0.7 to -0.9)

Please add anything i've missed or i've got wrong.

Hi, for the cumulative frequency I got
2nd decile: 2
8th decile: 8
Inter decile range: 6
Reply 5
Original post by bod247
I got 23.2

Thanks I'll add it. Any more?
Reply 6
How did you get the answer to the spinner question?
There were 7 potential outcomes
3x two Win and one Lose
3x two Lose and one Win

=9793/15625
=0.62752
Reply 7
Original post by daisie
How did you get the answer to the spinner question?
There were 7 potential outcomes
3x two Win and one Lose
3x two Lose and one Win

=9793/15625
=0.62752

It was a guess at remembering, thanks for the real answer, I'll add it. Do you remember any more I have missed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending