The Student Room Group

Is University worth it?

I like the idea of going University for the experience and to go further in my IT.

But I know University is dear and I'm not rich enough to just easily pay it off. Thoughts?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Luke1999
I like the idea of going University for the experience and to go further in my IT.

I'm currently doing BTEC Level 3 IT Extended Diploma.

But I know University is dear and I'm not rich enough to just easily pay it off. Thoughts?

Not many people 'easily pay it off'. Don't not do it just because it isn't easy...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by shaymarriott
Not many people 'easily pay it off'. Don't not do it just because it isn't easy...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know, what I meant is I'm not rich so it would take me a while to pay it off
Reply 3
Yeah I know, what I meant is I'm not rich so it would take me a while to pay it off

The manner in which you pay it off is based on your post university income. The question shouldn't be whether you can afford it but rather do you need a degree to further your career?

If it helps, I had no money going into university but that never hindered me.*
Reply 4
Original post by Shawman
The manner in which you pay it off is based on your post university income. The question shouldn't be whether you can afford it but rather do you need a degree to further your career?

If it helps, I had no money going into university but that never hindered me.*

I'm not quite sure to be honest. I want to be able to achieve the best I can within IT, but I feel like I need to go University to open up my choices.
Reply 5
I'm not quite sure to be honest. I want to be able to achieve the best I can within IT, but I feel like I need to go University to open up my choices.

I suppose it really depends what kind of work you want to do. IT could encompass any number of things. Some jobs would require university qualifications whilst others might not.*

A degree would certainly make you more desirable in certain circumstances but it's not the be all and end all in terms of career.*

Yes. The best and highest paying companies regularly recruit uni grads, it is absolutely worth it if you build up the right profile whilst attending uni to land you a coveted job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not all careers require a degree. If you want to study I.T. from more of a theoretical perspective then it's probably wise to go to University. But, if you want to learn to code or study the more hands on stuff, you don't need to go to University for that.
Reply 8
Imo its not worth £9k a year for an undergrad degree. Have really been thinking deeply about whether its worth me going through with my offer for September. I don't think it sets you apart like it used to - especially if its not from a tier 1 institution. I want to know why more people aren't looking to study their undergrad in a country like Germany (where state education is free), then topping it up with a masters back here in the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Majority of people never pay them off, just get them written off after 30 years.
You pay such an insignificant amount from the amount you earn that if you get full loans on both, you need to earn like 30k a year from the start to pay it back without choosing to pay off some extra money yourself.
Original post by A47
Imo its not worth £9k a year for an undergrad degree. Have really been thinking deeply about whether its worth me going through with my offer for September. I don't think it sets you apart like it used to - especially if its not from a tier 1 institution. I want to know why more people aren't looking to study their undergrad in a country like Germany (where state education is free), then topping it up with a masters back here in the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because a) they don't speak German, b) the only german schools targeted by top companies are private, c) the resources and level of instruction in Germany doesn't really compare to here because of lack of funding. Several other reasons why.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Princepieman
Because a) they don't speak German, b) the only german schools targeted by top companies are private, c) the resources and level of instruction in Germany doesn't really compare to here because of lack of funding. Several other reasons why.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but topping it up with a masters in the UK at a decent uni? I understand what you mean with it not being on par with UK but 9k a year difference, is it really worth that much more?
I did some browsing and few unis in Germany do offer undergrad degrees in English but you do still need to learn basic German to get around, which I don't think is so bad.

Just worried about paying the fees back. I know alot of people say its just like extra tax, but its a hell of alot of debt which has me worrying... Plus, our economy isn't looking so strong, and the recent factor which will make it tougher for us to get a job elsewhere in Europe now really makes me question whether its worth £9k a year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending