The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SevenAteNine
Hi there. You ask a good question - I'd be grateful to read the answers you receive.

It's difficult to give specific advice given the huge variety between sets. Often second rounds are longer, there are more questions, more people on the panel, ethical problems and advocacy questions - some chambers send these in advance and some you get on the day of the interview.

So, to that regard, prep the basic legal tests in your selected field, be sure to know the elements required for successful applications. Check your advocacy handbooks, check the news, check that you know basic ethical principles, check Chambers' website and know your form inside and out... You will be specifically grilled on why you want to become a member of that chambers and whether or not you can hack life at the Bar. Maybe run some practice questions.

However, do take a moment to congratulate yourself in a small way for getting that far. By second round, you are clearly a strong applicant and have what it takes to make it. Second rounds are hard work and often exhausting, but it'll all be worth it in the end.
Best of luck!

This is daunting. I have a second round coming up, but having only done the GDL (and that 4 years ago!) this makes me worry about the levels of assumed legal knowledge at the final stage.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ozziebc
This is daunting. I have a second round coming up, but having only done the GDL (and that 4 years ago!) this makes me worry about the levels of assumed legal knowledge at the final stage.

They try and tailor it so that any advocacy etc doesn't require knowledge from the BPTC. Honestly try not to worry!
Original post by hsthomas1
They try and tailor it so that any advocacy etc doesn't require knowledge from the BPTC. Honestly try not to worry!

@ Torvill I would echo the excellent advice above and, if it is any consolation, I finished my GDL in 2007!!! I have obviously been trying to keep up to date but it's no substitute for the immersion of having just sat the exams. I have done the bar course but again some time ago (I had another career since then) and have found getting hold of a new copy of the advocacy and ethics manuals has really helped. Albeit for the latter all you need is the code of conduct. Ethics questions are killers though and are definitely my Achilles heal.
Wishing you every luck and well done on getting second rounds that's ace. There are lots of people on here who are happy to help as we all know how stressful it is especially as energy levels dip in the final weeks. Or maybe that's just me!!
Anyone else not heard from QEB HW either way?
Has anyone heard from 9GS post-first round? They said they'd be letting us know this week and I'm starting to get antsy...!
Does anyone have any interview tips for Atlantic Chambers in Liverpool at all, or any general first round interview hints and tips - I would really appreciate any advice on first rounds as this will be my first interview so would like to avoid messing it up.

Thank you in advance!
Original post by acjw015
Anyone else not heard from QEB HW either way?

Yep, nothing either way and nothing in junk folder.*
Just over 4 weeks to go and I still haven't heard anything from 5 sets! Anyone else??

The constant refreshing of Gateway, emails (inc junk mail), and Student Room is causing my phone battery to run out roughly every 3 hours. I know family sets typically contact people later in the Gateway window, but this is torture...
Original post by 1stTimer
Just over 4 weeks to go and I still haven't heard anything from 5 sets! Anyone else??

The constant refreshing of Gateway, emails (inc junk mail), and Student Room is causing my phone battery to run out roughly every 3 hours. I know family sets typically contact people later in the Gateway window, but this is torture...

I know exactly how you feel. I'm still waiting on 6 sets; Farringdon, 1 Pump Court, 18SJS, Nexus, 15NBS and Fenners

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are only two London-based family sets - QEB and Fourteen - who are yet to invite people to interview. The others are already in the final round. I understand that last year QEB sent out invitations on the last Friday in June so you can expect to hear any day. Someone mentioned that Fourteen didn't send out invitations until well into July.
Original post by new_tricks
There are only two London-based family sets - QEB and Fourteen - who are yet to invite people to interview. The others are already in the final round. I understand that last year QEB sent out invitations on the last Friday in June so you can expect to hear any day. Someone mentioned that Fourteen didn't send out invitations until well into July.

Thanks for this - does this mean 4 Brick Court is a RBS? thanks very much!
Original post by LegalLab
I know exactly how you feel. I'm still waiting on 6 sets; Farringdon, 1 Pump Court, 18SJS, Nexus, 15NBS and Fenners

Posted from TSR Mobile

*internet hug*

It's v nice to know I'm not alone!

Is this true? I'm not so sure... Haven't heard back from 2 family sets.... 4 brick court and new court. Has anyone confirmed interviews?

Original post by shestheone
Is this true? I'm not so sure... Haven't heard back from 2 family sets.... 4 brick court and new court. Has anyone confirmed interviews?

Original post by Igor_the_Cat
Thanks for this - does this mean 4 Brick Court is a RBS? thanks very much!

4 Brick, New Court, QEB, Fourteen and 1 Pump Court are the ones I'm waiting on. Have kept a pretty close eye on this thread for the last few weeks and don't think they've interviewed yet! But I could be quite wrong.
*internet hug*

It's v nice to know I'm not alone!

LOL
4 Brick, New Court, QEB, Fourteen and 1 Pump Court are the ones I'm waiting on. Have kept a pretty close eye on this thread for the last few weeks and don't think they've interviewed yet! But I could be quite wrong.

Apologies, I forgot 4 Brick Court and New Court. Sorry to unduly worry you.
Reply 2516
Original post by shestheone

I also haven't heard back from New Court (haven't applied to any of the other family ones mentioned).

I'm also still waiting on Blackfriars, Nexus, and 15 Winckley Square. When will it end ...!!
Original post by thelawwon
I've just called round a few places and got the following replies:

Wilberforce (Hull): Members of their pupillage committee have been on holiday, so they're running behind and haven't given out first rounds yet. No indication of when we might hear but they're going to call me back.

1 Pump Court: Haven't given out first rounds, couldn't tell me anything further.

Blackfriars: We should hear "in the next couple of weeks" (how are they going to fit two rounds in?!).

Sorry this isn't more informative, but at least we know that the above haven't rejected by silence yet.

FYI Blackfriars Chambers: I applied through Gateway in 2015. Heard nothing. Called chambers - was fobbed off with excuses by clerks. Gateway status remained as applied.

In February this year I received a text inviting me to interview. At interview they were quite rude and offered no explanation let alone an apology.

They then rejected by silence......I called and was fobbed off by clerks again. That was 10 months after applying.

Hope those who applied this year receive better treatment.
Just got a 9GS post first round rejection by post

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by desvalido
Just got a 9GS post first round rejection by post

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, torture...! All I want to do now is go home! (..Or not, because I haven't had a call, hence probably a rejection letter waiting for me too..)

Commiserations - they seemed to be interviewing a huge amount of people for one pupillage, so don't let it knock you!

Quick Reply

Latest