The Student Room Group

Help with A Level Options??

Hi,
I have decided to study psychology at university.

I have just finished my AS exams in Politics, RS, English Lit and Classics.

I think that to get a place at a top uni I need to this year take up either an AS Level or whole A Level which is more related to Psychology. I'm considering doing Biology or Psychology (but Psychology isn't offered at my school so I would need to self teach it.)

Would just AS Level Biology alongside 3 Essay based A2 be appropriate? I'm not too keen on taking the whole Biology A Level in a year as I think it could jeopardise my other grades if I find it difficult.

Which options sound the best/ will put me in best stead for the degree course?

1. Politics, English, Classics A2s (with RS & Biology AS)

2. Politics, English, Classics A2s (with RS & Psychology AS)

3. English, Classics, Psychology A2s (with RS & Politics AS)

Thank you!
Original post by kiera28
Hi,

I think that to get a place at a top uni I need to this year take up either an AS Level or whole A Level which is more related to Psychology. I'm considering doing Biology or Psychology (but Psychology isn't offered at my school so I would need to self teach it.)

Would just AS Level Biology alongside 3 Essay based A2 be appropriate? I'm not too keen on taking the whole Biology A Level in a year as I think it could jeopardise my other grades if I find it difficult.

Thank you!

Some universities need a science A2. So I'd go for option 3 :smile:
Original post by emiloujess
Some universities need a science A2. So I'd go for option 3 :smile:

I'm considering applying to universities such as Warwick, Durham, Exeter, Swansea, Cardiff, Glasgow or St. Andrews, which don't require any specific A Levels, just high grades. If the school don't allow me to do this, do you think that taking just an AS in Bio/Psychology would be enough to prove my interest and ability? (Whilst, hopefully, putting me in better stead for the degree course)
Reply 3
Original post by kiera28
Hi,

Thank you!

Are you looking at doing a BA or BS in psychology? If you are looking to do the really scientific side of psychology then I'd do the biology AS and just do a lot of background reading into psychology in your own time and make that evident to the universities you apply for however; if you opt for the BA which is more of a social science then do the AS psychology as you wouldn't really need as much scientific knowledge.
If I were you, I'd go with option A but do consider where you want to go with psychology and whether you want to do the BA or BS.
Don't go with option 3! Focus on your 3 A2s and get good grades on them also, doing the entire psychology A-level in a year seems impossible simply due to the mountains of stuff and case studies you need to know!

Hope this helps!
Original post by kiera28
I'm considering applying to universities such as Warwick, Durham, Exeter, Swansea, Cardiff, Glasgow or St. Andrews, which don't require any specific A Levels, just high grades. If the school don't allow me to do this, do you think that taking just an AS in Bio/Psychology would be enough to prove my interest and ability? (Whilst, hopefully, putting me in better stead for the degree course)

Technically, yes. Though some unis may give you a higher offer than a person who has taken a science to A2.
Original post by J.Page
Are you looking at doing a BA or BS in psychology? If you are looking to do the really scientific side of psychology then I'd do the biology AS and just do a lot of background reading into psychology in your own time and make that evident to the universities you apply for however; if you opt for the BA which is more of a social science then do the AS psychology as you wouldn't really need as much scientific knowledge.
If I were you, I'd go with option A but do consider where you want to go with psychology and whether you want to do the BA or BS.
Don't go with option 3! Focus on your 3 A2s and get good grades on them also, doing the entire psychology A-level in a year seems impossible simply due to the mountains of stuff and case studies you need to know!

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the reply!
I think I'll be looking at the BSc as there dont seem to be many 'good' universities that offer the BA; I'll speak to the Biology department about doing the AS next year
Reply 6
Original post by kiera28
Thank you for the reply!
I think I'll be looking at the BSc as there dont seem to be many 'good' universities that offer the BA; I'll speak to the Biology department about doing the AS next year

Then I'd definitely say biology is the way to go! Just make sure that you do lots of background reading on psychology to underpin your flare for the subject; these universities want the best students and if you show that independent research it will make you more competitive for a place.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest