The Student Room Group

Revision help

Hi there, I really need help when it comes to exams which require lots of memory. I find it really hard to retain information could someone help me out? I'm trying to revise for computer science and economics it's really difficult for me because of this. Any tips??
Reply 1
Original post by Major-fury
Hi there, I really need help when it comes to exams which require lots of memory. I find it really hard to retain information could someone help me out? I'm trying to revise for computer science and economics it's really difficult for me because of this. Any tips??

in order to properly learn content you just need to keep going over it over and over and over and over again... This sounds tedious but it is the only way.

if you need to learn a paragraph, then write it out and write it out again and again ( from memory ) and keep doing this until you have learnt everything off by heart. This method does work - It worked for me, for psychoology at least - so maybe it will work for you.

Another method is to make a powerpoint and on each slide put one bit of info like one pagrapgh but cover it up with a box and then keep going through the powerpoint until you've covered every slide.
Reply 2
Original post by fefssdf
in order to properly learn content you just need to keep going over it over and over and over and over again... This sounds tedious but it is the only way.

if you need to learn a paragraph, then write it out and write it out again and again ( from memory ) and keep doing this until you have learnt everything off by heart. This method does work - It worked for me, for psychoology at least - so maybe it will work for you.

Another method is to make a powerpoint and on each slide put one bit of info like one pagrapgh but cover it up with a box and then keep going through the powerpoint until you've covered every slide.

ah okay thanks for that. But have you heard of study pills? Apparently they work and allow you to retain much more information than you would normally otherwise
Reply 3
ah okay thanks for that. But have you heard of study pills? Apparently they work and allow you to retain much more information than you would normally otherwise

no sorry never heard of them
Reply 4
What I do is I read over the paragraph and then attempt to type it out on word without looking and just repeat until I know it. Doesn't have to be word for word, as long as you can get the marks
I did economics as well, econplusdal was very helpful and also the tutor2u revision guides

I probably would avoid relying on drugs to get you through studying, bottom line is, you will need to be going over content for a long period of time (generally speaking) if you want to do well. If you don't, you can definitely get away with cramming but you are going to make life extremely stressful for yourself and put yourself at a higher risk of under-performing. As for memorising specifically, I would do what the other guy said (writing the content out), speaking the content out aloud repeatedly and possibly using flash cards. Realistically though, you are just going to need to experiment and find what works best, just be consistent and diligent.
Reply 6
Thanks for all the help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest