The Student Room Group

Safety Pins.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Roast
Lol my thoughts exactly!

Does the fact that I don't own or intend to own a multicolour flag mean I'm a homophobe?

This ****ing world lol

Thats why I stopped 'showing' my support after events in Paris. If you know what I mean, oh no people have died, I know lets change my Facebook profile pic with a flag filtered over it.

Not being disrespectful or anything. I just feel its not how it should be.
Original post by Boreism
Thats why I stopped 'showing' my support after events in Paris. If you know what I mean, oh no people have died, I know lets change my Facebook profile pic with a flag filtered over it.

Not being disrespectful or anything. I just feel its not how it should be.

Because it changes nothing.

You shouldn't need to change the filter on your profile picture, neither should you need to pin a badge or pin on your chest to show solidarity with a community.

I'm embarrassed by my fellow millenials.
Original post by hovado
You mean you want to censor them? hmm sounds a little PC, why can't we call a **** a ****?

It is the height of irony when anyone who does not agree with a certain view is automatically called racist or somephobic, taming is not censorship. I cannotcomment on your last part as I have no idea what a **** is or a ****.
People getting on their high horse about this :/
Nobody is saying if you don't wear a safety pin you're unsupportive. The point is wearing one signals to people, for example on public transport, 'I am safe. You can sit next to me; I won't do or say anything to make you feel uncomfortable'
I wish this wasn't the case but unfortunately foreign people/POC have to be on their guard right now and I imagine something like travelling on a tube is actually quite scary.
But again, not wearing one is fine. No one has said otherwise (and if they have, come on. You know they're wrong).
Reply 24
Original post by dozyrosie
It is the height of irony when anyone who does not agree with a certain view is automatically called racist or somephobic

How is it ironic?
Original post by hovado
How is it ironic?

That every single person of a certain belief is racist or somephobic, even in the most intolerant belief systems people are not all the same.
Original post by hovado
How'd you go about doing that actively?

By not being friendly towards them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending