The Student Room Group

Daily mail calls out THE STUDENT ROOM!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iEthan
People are really shallow MSC. :frown: It's so difficult at uni for any subject… just because people don't choose a STEM subject, it doesn't make them unintelligent. :frown:
I hate how people do that for Arts subjects too i.e. MfL :frown:

I wonder how many people commenting on the article have a stem degree :holmes:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I saw that one and was so angry! I wonder if that person who commented knows how demanding English and Anthropology are as subjects at uni.

I don't know why all non-STEM subjects get lumped in with the likes of Gender Studies and underwater basket weaving tbh, even I, as a STEM student myself, can see the validity of some non-STEM subjects
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I wonder how many people commenting on the article have a stem degree :holmes:

We should do a study on this. :five: I'm sure they'd be willing to let us know what education level they're at(!) :holmes:

We can call it Puddles et al.? :tongue:
That isn't really a compliment...
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
That isn't really a compliment...

So do you believe that the likes of Gender Studies and Theology has equal intellectual validity as, say, Law or History?
I'm skepticle to the degree "Gender Studies" even exists beyond STEM master race nonsense. Anyway, the study of gender is part sociology, political science, anthropology and biology. You know... SCIENCE.

I could link to some interesting science on gender in Chimpanzees and Bonobos and how that may help answer questions regarding gender and gender politics in humans.

I've just been reading a book by quantum physicists and theologian John Polkinghorne... You are making fun of philosophy. Do you now any of the philosophy surrounding the scientific method? The faith scientists place on inference? What actually is science? what is the history of science? Which means making fun of history and basically everything else.

As far as I see it the STEM master race stuff comes down to STEM fields being good at producing people who fit into the modern economic era. So basically you are all patting yourself on the back because you make good technicians for industry...Not something to be that happy about really. As a physics graduate that pisses me off because I also have a class conscious view of the world and I don't want to be a serf for elites. I am not happy with just being taught just enough so I can be a productive worker ant for capital. I want to know more than that and it isn't the one reason why I want to learn things. I don't want to be a glorified prole with a degree :indiff:

Not that I would expect a STEMer to be able to think that far outside the intellectual box they cram themselves into. To think about such things is to veer towards philosophy, sociology and the humanities :eek3:

Rant over :tongue: (I'm aloud to talk about STEM this way as I have a STEM degree. Just like how a black rapper can use the N word)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iEthan
People are really shallow MSC. :frown: It's so difficult at uni for any subject… just because people don't choose a STEM subject, it doesn't make them unintelligent. :frown:
I hate how people do that for Arts subjects too i.e. MfL :frown:

I swear whenever I tell an old Asian person I want to do English and work in the arts sector I either get a disapproving look or a *****y comment like, "Oh there's no money into it. Why can't you do Law instead?"

Saying that I don't view myself as someone who would like Law at uni isn't a valid excuse though. Is wanting to teach English abroad really such a bad idea? I've researched it and they love teachers in China and Hong Kong who teach English.

I've seen degrees like Golf Management and I'm like there thinking :I English isn't easy during uni. A lot of idiots think it is because there's less contact hours in a degree.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
They've horribly misquoted me in that one.

That second part was not me.

Pretty sure you have a libel case going for you there...
I saw that one and was so angry! I wonder if that person who commented knows how demanding English and Anthropology are as subjects at uni.

That has loads of science in it! It's hard biology at the nat science end!
I'm skepticle to the degree "Gender Studies" even exists beyond STEM master race nonsense. Anyway, the study of gender is part sociology, political science, anthropology and biology. You know... SCIENCE.

I could link to some interesting science on gender in Chimpanzees and Bonobos and how that may help answer questions regarding gender and gender politics in humans.

I've just been reading a book by quantum physicists and theologian John Polkinghorne... You are making fun of philosophy. Do you now any of the philosophy surrounding the scientific method? The faith scientists place on inference? What actually is science? what is the history of science? Which means making fun of history and basically everything else.

As far as I see it the STEM master race stuff comes down to STEM fields being good at producing people who fit into the modern economic era. So basically you are all patting yourself on the back because you make good technicians for industry...Not something to be that happy about really. As a physics graduate that pisses me off because I also have a class conscious view of the world and I don't want to be a serf for elites. I am not happy with just being taught just enough so I can be a productive worker ant for capital. I want to know more than that and it isn't the one reason why I want to learn things.

Not that I would expect a STEMer to be able to think that far outside the intellectual box they cram themselves into. To think about such things is to veer towards philosophy, sociology and the humanities :eek3:

Rant over :tongue:

LOL...

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/postgraduate-courses/gender-and-womens-studies-ma/

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/mst-womens-studies

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/gender-studies

A simple google search will prove you wrong on that front.

Sociology and political sciences are not considered as 'hard science', I'm sorry. There's a reason why there is a distinction between 'hard' and 'soft' sciences and why hard sciences are considered to be more distinguished than most other subjects. Just because something has sciences in the name doesn't mean it's a science.

Philosophy and Theology is all very well and good but it doesn't pay the bills at the end of the day. You can come out out with whatever you like about 'not being a 'corporate slave' but unless you happen to have inherited enough wealth to live comfortably for the rest of your life you're going to need to work, aren't you?

I'm sure humanities are a good degree to do if you are rich but they sadly lack in a lot of practical, real world application. They have their place.
That has loads of science in it! It's hard biology at the nat science end!

Can't tell if sarcasm or not...
Can't tell if sarcasm or not...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_anthropology

Totally not a science

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
This is hilarious, have they literally got nothing better to do?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_anthropology

Totally not a science (That's sarcasm :tongue:) .

Oooooooh! I thought there was some science involved but not as much ahaha.

So it's not a fluffy subject :u:
Well until physics can answer questions sociology tries to answer you guys/gals can keep quiet :smile:

When I want someone to tell me the equation of motion of an oscillating spring I will go to a physicist. When I want someone to tell me how we fix the Middle-East I don't care about flipping springs. Physicists have it easy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well until physics can answer questions sociology tries to answer you guy can keep quiet :smile:

When I want someone to tell me the equation of motion of an oscillating spring I will go to a physicist. When I want someone to tell me how we fix the Middle-East I don't care about flipping springs. Physicists have it easy.

Meh, I still wouldn't spend £27,000 on a sociology degree. If someone wants to get in debt that much for it though, I'm not going to stop them
Oooooooh! I thought there was some science involved but not as much ahaha.

So it's not a fluffy subject :u:

No it isn't. :proud:

It;s the go to example of a subject that combines so much of humanities and sciences together and shows just how important both of them are and how they rely on each other. Excellent for slaying Humanities and/or STEM snobs :tongue:
Original post by Twinpeaks
I like how they've left out my quote about _______

Fill in the blank and there you have the Daily Mail in all it's top notch journalism glory. Across most of their stories I might add, not just this :tongue:
Photography and Media studies is worse :colone:
Actually sociology is quite a good degree for careers in social research/ data analysis. Quite good prospects actually.

Quick Reply

Latest