The Student Room Group

Nursing through clearing?

So I'm currently on a gap year and have a place at Nottingham Trent to study psychology. Since being on my gap year I've decided that I'd prefer to do a nursing or mental nursing course instead (for various reasons). Although, unfortunately for me, I decided this slightly too late, after the UCAS deadline had passed. I don't really want to take another year out of education as I'm itching to get back into it. I was wondering if anyone knew the liklihood of me getting a place on a nursing course through clearing, or if I'm better off applying now through UCAS extra and dropping my place at Trent?? I'm doing a 4 week mental health placement in Bali in June so this will hopefully help me out with my application (i though anyway!?) Can anyone give me any information about clearing, specifically for nursing courses?
My advice would be calling up unis and asking. Nursing places are usually full this time around year - because offers are given out.
I know of someone who got a nursing place through clearing last year and it wasn't that different to applying to any other course. There was still an interview and literacy and numeracy test but the only thing that was different was that she started on the course a week and a half after it had officially started, simply because there wasn't enough time to process her application beforehand.
Reply 3
I'm in a similar boat, mature student and made my mind up too late (really ignorant to UCAS etc...) and am also going to be applying through clearing. Does anyone know if I need to submit a UCAS application now anyway, or do I just need to be ringing University's during clearing?
Original post by JP0506
I'm in a similar boat, mature student and made my mind up too late (really ignorant to UCAS etc...) and am also going to be applying through clearing. Does anyone know if I need to submit a UCAS application now anyway, or do I just need to be ringing University's during clearing?

You need to fill it in now anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
You need to fill it in now anyway.

Thanks - that's what I thought, but when I rang DMU yesterday they told me I shouldn't submit it until clearing, otherwise they'll just reject me now for this cycle of applications and not look at it again if I call up... which sounds a bit scary!!
Original post by JP0506
Thanks - that's what I thought, but when I rang DMU yesterday they told me I shouldn't submit it until clearing, otherwise they'll just reject me now for this cycle of applications and not look at it again if I call up... which sounds a bit scary!!

You just need it filled in with no choices and pay the fee and you should get a clearing number to use once it's open.
I started looking around for a nursing place last July after dropping out but ended up getting one during clearing. Call around to some of the universities you're interested in now and see if you can still hand in an application. Most likely they'll just tell you to apply through clearing because the course is very competitive but see what they say just in case.

Otherwise just grab The Guardian on the A-Level results day and call around to each of the uni's that have vacancies left. Make sure that you have your UCAS application sorted and ready for the day. When you submit yours, you'll receive a clearing number that you need to have on hand when you call the places.

When you call you'll first be asked to declare your grades, clearing number, personal details and other administrative details to the clearing team. If you meet the entry requirements, you'll be passed on to one of the programme leaders who will confirm your details and do a quick 10-15 minute interview with you over the phone. The questions will be standard nursing questions like "why nursing?", "what are you strengths?" so just go over some questions online before taking the call.

If you pass that then you'll have to come in for an official interview and to do the maths + english tests. And if you do well in those then you'll probably get a place on the course!

Good luck with everything. I can imagine the stress that you're under right now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by HighwayUnicorn
I started looking around for a nursing place last July after dropping out but ended up getting one during clearing. Call around to some of the universities you're interested in now and see if you can still hand in an application. Most likely they'll just tell you to apply through clearing because the course is very competitive but see what they say just in case.

Otherwise just grab The Guardian on the A-Level results day and call around to each of the uni's that have vacancies left. Make sure that you have your UCAS application sorted and ready for the day. When you submit yours, you'll receive a clearing number that you need to have on hand when you call the places.

When you call you'll first be asked to declare your grades, clearing number, personal details and other administrative details to the clearing team. If you meet the entry requirements, you'll be passed on to one of the programme leaders who will confirm your details and do a quick 10-15 minute interview with you over the phone. The questions will be standard nursing questions like "why nursing?", "what are you strengths?" so just go over some questions online before taking the call.

If you pass that then you'll have to come in for an official interview and to do the maths + english tests. And if you do well in those then you'll probably get a place on the course!

Good luck with everything. I can imagine the stress that you're under right now.

Thank you! I can't tell you how reassuring this is to hear. I just know it'll be even more competitive this year because of the bursaries :/

I've been working on my application anyway, just need to dig out all my GCSE certificates to check the grades (I definitely have A-C in everything, just not sure which is which!), and tidy up my personal statement, I have a bunch of volunteer experience but none in a hospital so i've applied to do some of that too, which hopefully can get started ASAP so I can add it to my personal statement too. If I have to wait until next year, I have to wait, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

I already hold an undergraduate degree, so if I end up having to take out the tuition fee loan from going next year my student debt will be nearly £100,000, which is truly terrifying. I'll still do it because its what I really want to do, but it'll make the rest of my life much more difficult.

Original post by claireestelle
You just need it filled in with no choices and pay the fee and you should get a clearing number to use once it's open.

Ah thank you! That makes much more sense :smile:
How did this turn out for you so far OP?
Hai could someone plsss help!! I am applying for a nursing course through clearing, do I have to take an interview through a phone at first, plus and an actual interview with a maths and English test later, after I pass the phone interview?
Reply 11
Original post by bobbynojeans
How did this turn out for you so far OP?

If it helps, I've managed to secure a place for a February 2017 start :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats op- enjoy your course!
If you don't mind me asking where is the place for? Its just I find myself in a similar position

Quick Reply

Latest