The Student Room Group

A Summer of Maths (ASoM) 2016

Scroll to see replies

Does Camb. reuse the same example sheets over the course of multiple years? e.g. what are the chances of me doing http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/examples/A3a.pdf this for example which is from 2015 and being regiven it next (/this) year ? (assuming I get in).
Original post by EnglishMuon
Does Camb. reuse the same example sheets over the course of multiple years? e.g. what are the chances of me doing http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/examples/A3a.pdf this for example which is from 2015 and being regiven it next (/this) year ? (assuming I get in).

Not sure about DE, but the online example sheets for V&M for years 2014 and 2015 are exactly the same.
Original post by Insight314
Not sure about DE, but the online example sheets for V&M for years 2014 and 2015 are exactly the same.

oh ok. Thats a shame, I was hoping to do a fair few throughout the summer but Ill limit myself for when I feel like Ive more than done the material :smile: Thanks
Reply 203
Original post by EnglishMuon

The questions are almost identical, yeah. That's why I'd recommend not doing any Cambridge example sheets and instead, doing the Oxford ones.
Original post by Zacken
The questions are almost identical, yeah. That's why I'd recommend not doing any Cambridge example sheets and instead, doing the Oxford ones.

Sik geeza! Cheers im gna do the groups ones when i start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beardon's textbook finally arrived. Starting it now, I am excited. :tongue:

Edit: Much smaller in size than I expected, thicker though.
Beardon's textbook finally arrived. Starting it now, I am excited. :tongue:

Edit: Much smaller in size than I expected, thicker though.

Add some pages if ur bored.
Thanks for the update tho. Hahaha lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Add some pages if ur bored.
Thanks for the update tho. Hahaha lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean? I was bored before it arrived, but now gonna work through the textbook.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stop copying me and Eric fam, stick to v&m init

Posted from TSR Mobile
Runescape is a ded game.

no way lol it's one of the most popular games on twitch

but that's for another thread
Original post by Student403
no way lol it's one of the most popular games on twitch

but that's for another thread

You've earned some respek for this comment( I'll rep you when I hop of my phone )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76

Posted from TSR Mobile

Man started groups in december for the bants(did like 5 pages but whatevs).
U copying me bludclart. Mans alredy finished numbers n sets. **** iz trivial.
V n M is trivial i aint doing that ****.
Mate all of tripos is trivial man. Im starting analysis example sheet 4 tmmozza.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Man started groups in december for the bants(did like 5 pages but whatevs).
U copying me bludclart. Mans alredy finished numbers n sets. **** iz trivial.
V n M is trivial i aint doing that ****.
Mate all of tripos is trivial man. Im starting analysis example sheet 4 tmmozza.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol same bruv, cba to revise so I looked through groups ****, won't even need to read anymore before I do Oxford example sheets it's not on my level init

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not do both at the same time? That is why I am studying from Beardon. Physicsmaths has got the book and yet can't just work through it lol.
Why not do both at the same time? That is why I am studying from Beardon. Physicsmaths has got the book and yet can't just work through it lol.

Too lazy tbh, 1 at a time suits me better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Too lazy tbh, 1 at a time suits me better

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beardon is like 300 pages and teaches you V&M and Groups at the same time whilst if you were reading through the LNs you would need to get through V&M first and then Groups, whereas for people who want to do Groups first, the first chapter of Beardon's textbook introduces them to Groups. It seems like the lazy person would choose Beardon's over going through lecture notes for V&M and Groups separately.
What do you mean? I was bored before it arrived, but now gonna work through the textbook.

Lol it was another joke haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't really care tbh.
I have the book.
V n M most of it I know anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Beardon is like 300 pages and teaches you V&M and Groups at the same time whilst if you were reading through the LNs you would need to get through V&M first and then Groups, whereas for people who want to do Groups first, the first chapter of Beardon's textbook introduces them to Groups. It seems like the lazy person would choose Beardon's over going through lecture notes for V&M and Groups separately.

Just do what ur doing. No ones gna change their mind after u tell them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just do what ur doing. No ones gna change their mind after u tell them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

k m8, I am here having fun doing Groups with Beardon and chilling with the fact I do Groups and V&M at the same time.

Btw, when you want to show that the set Z\mathbb{Z} is a group with respect to addition, do you have to show that the set satisfies all the four properties of a group (with respect to a binary operation) or can we only prove property (3) i.e "there is a unique ee in GG such that for all gg in GG, ge=e=egg*e = e = e*g" ? I am currently doing one of the exercises in the textbook and I have gone so much in detail on proving all the four properties, whereas Beardon states that "It follows that when we need to prove that, say, GG is a group we need only prove" property (3).

Quick Reply

Latest