The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Accommodation 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by super_kawaii
Hence why most people walk-it's not that bad a walk and it's good for your health. I see no negatives :smile:

Also, could you give me a quick overview of how laundry works? Ironing too. Thank you!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by jackien1
Also, could you give me a quick overview of how laundry works? Ironing too. Thank you!

There will be laundrettes in Ranmoor, Endcliffe and City accommodation and are all operated by the company 'Circuit Laundry'. You'll receive a laundry card in your move in package, alongside your flat keys, and before you use it, you'll need to register your card and set up a pay pal account for it. You then top it up however much you want, whenever you need to, like a PAYG phone. When you top up your laundry credit, you'll receive a top up code, which you'll need to key into the top up machine before you can use the funds. Once you've added money to it, laundry's just like you would at home-you put your clothes into the machine, select the correct wash cycle, present your laundry card to the machine, then press start! There are both washing machines and dryers in the laundrettes (at the Edge and Ridge) Don't forget to take your stuff out of the machines as soon as they've finished, as stuff has been known to go missing from the laundrette!

With regards to ironing, every flat will have a ironing board provided, but I don't remember there being an actual iron being provided, so it might be worth bringing a small iron with you so you can use it if you need to.
There will be laundrettes in Ranmoor, Endcliffe and City accommodation and are all operated by the company 'Circuit Laundry'. You'll receive a laundry card in your move in package, alongside your flat keys, and before you use it, you'll need to register your card and set up a pay pal account for it. You then top it up however much you want, whenever you need to, like a PAYG phone. When you top up your laundry credit, you'll receive a top up code, which you'll need to key into the top up machine before you can use the funds. Once you've added money to it, laundry's just like you would at home-you put your clothes into the machine, select the correct wash cycle, present your laundry card to the machine, then press start! There are both washing machines and dryers in the laundrettes (at the Edge and Ridge) Don't forget to take your stuff out of the machines as soon as they've finished, as stuff has been known to go missing from the laundrette!

With regards to ironing, every flat will have a ironing board provided, but I don't remember there being an actual iron being provided, so it might be worth bringing a small iron with you so you can use it if you need to.

How much does it cost per wash and dry? Is detergent automatically included? If it is, is it possible to change it out?
Do people generally share irons or everyone just brings their own iron?

Thanks for all the info!
How much does it cost per wash and dry? Is detergent automatically included? If it is, is it possible to change it out?
Do people generally share irons or everyone just brings their own iron?

Thanks for all the info!

It costs £2.50 for a wash, and £1.20 for a cycle in the tumble dryer. Detergent is not provided by the uni-you'll have to buy and use your own.

In my flat, we ended up all chipping in and buying an iron together, so we all used it. You could consider doing something like that? :smile:
It costs £2.50 for a wash, and £1.20 for a cycle in the tumble dryer. Detergent is not provided by the uni-you'll have to buy and use your own.

In my flat, we ended up all chipping in and buying an iron together, so we all used it. You could consider doing something like that? :smile:

Holy, that's expensive. How often do people do laundry?

Yeah that would be good, hopefully I make friends with people.
Holy, that's expensive. How often do people do laundry?

Yeah that would be good, hopefully I make friends with people.

People tend to do laundry only when they completely run out of clean clothes, so every couple of weeks. At least that's how I do it and it works out well. Buying a clothes horse is also quite popular, so you can save on drying costs.

Contrary to common belief, making friend's is one of the easiest things. The only way you won't make any friends is if you never leave your room! There are so many people and activities to get involved with at uni, you won't want to stay in your room all the time anyway!
(edited 7 years ago)
People tend to do laundry only when they completely run out of clean clothes, so every couple of weeks. At least that's how I do it and it works out well. Buying a clothes horse is also quite popular, so you can save on drying costs.

Contrary to common belief, making friend's is one of the easiest things. The only way you won't make any friends is if you never leave your room! There are so many people and activities to get involved with at uni, you won't want to stay in your room all the time anyway!

Do you place the clothes horse in your room? I was under the assumption the room was pretty small.

Hahaha, I'm a little bit of an introvert so... Yeah. But I'll be making more of an effort this go around.
Do you place the clothes horse in your room? I was under the assumption the room was pretty small.

Hahaha, I'm a little bit of an introvert so... Yeah. But I'll be making more of an effort this go around.

Yeah, there's enough room for a clothes horse-a couple of my flatmates had one each and they had no problem using it. There's plenty of storage space underneath your bed, so you can always leave your clothes horse there when you're not using it, just to keep it out of the way.

I'm an introvert as well, but it's so worth getting involved with societies-the social side of uni is equally as important as the academic side of things. Getting involved with part time work, volunteering and societies is so important for when you're applying for post grad work or study, as it'll prove that you can fit the person spec they provide. If you don't get involved with stuff outside your course, you will struggle to find employment. Plus, no matter whether you're introverted or extroverted, uni can be a very isolating place if you have no friends, so it's worth getting involved with as much as possible so you have that support network.

Plus, I've become a lot more confident and less introverted as a result of getting involved with the extra curricular side of uni
Yeah, there's enough room for a clothes horse-a couple of my flatmates had one each and they had no problem using it. There's plenty of storage space underneath your bed, so you can always leave your clothes horse there when you're not using it, just to keep it out of the way.

I'm an introvert as well, but it's so worth getting involved with societies-the social side of uni is equally as important as the academic side of things. Getting involved with part time work, volunteering and societies is so important for when you're applying for post grad work or study, as it'll prove that you can fit the person spec they provide. If you don't get involved with stuff outside your course, you will struggle to find employment. Plus, no matter whether you're introverted or extroverted, uni can be a very isolating place if you have no friends, so it's worth getting involved with as much as possible so you have that support network.

Plus, I've become a lot more confident and less introverted as a result of getting involved with the extra curricular side of uni

Do international students have a tougher time? From what you can see in uni
Do international students have a tougher time? From what you can see in uni

Depends-the vast majority settle in completely fine and make a good mix of friends from both the home and international student body. Students from mainland China, however, tend to refuse outright to mix with anyone who isn't a Mandarin speaking Chinese citizen, due to their poor English ability (IELTS exam fraud is rampant in China) and a general superiority complex of Chinese people.
Depends-the vast majority settle in completely fine and make a good mix of friends from both the home and international student body. Students from mainland China, however, tend to refuse outright to mix with anyone who isn't a Mandarin speaking Chinese citizen, due to their poor English ability (IELTS exam fraud is rampant in China) and a general superiority complex of Chinese people.

Lol seriously? That's really funny. Not that fraud is funny, but the whole situation in general. But mainland Chinese usually get a bad rep. Just in general.
Lol seriously? That's really funny. Not that fraud is funny, but the whole situation in general. But mainland Chinese usually get a bad rep. Just in general.

Seriously-a member of Sheffield's Chinese Society once told my friend she wasn't a proper Chinese and wasn't worthy of the same respect Mandarin speaking Chinese citizens "deserve" because she was a Cantonese speaker and was born in the UK.

There are nice Chinese people, but among those studying in the UK, they're a minority, the ones who aren't racist and don't have a superiority complex
Seriously-a member of Sheffield's Chinese Society once told my friend she wasn't a proper Chinese and wasn't worthy of the same respect Mandarin speaking Chinese citizens "deserve" because she was a Cantonese speaker and was born in the UK.

There are nice Chinese people, but among those studying in the UK, they're a minority, the ones who aren't racist and don't have a superiority complex

Wtf..... Hope I don't meet that person. Though I don't intend on joining the Chinese Society anyway. I may be chinese, but my command of the language is abysmal. Kinda expected tbh, since I'm from Singapore.
Wtf..... Hope I don't meet that person. Though I don't intend on joining the Chinese Society anyway. I may be chinese, but my command of the language is abysmal. Kinda expected tbh, since I'm from Singapore.

That person's graduated already, but they are very ethnically cliquey, which has resulted in them being very inactive due to the fact they attract no members.

It might be better you joining Massoc (Malaysia and Singapore Society) as they come across as more welcoming and active.

Chi soc is an anomaly though. The rest all allow everyone to join, regardless of race, gender, fee status or age. Getting involved with societies is a highlight of uni life, so don't let one bad apple out of over 300 put you off
That person's graduated already, but they are very ethnically cliquey, which has resulted in them being very inactive due to the fact they attract no members.

It might be better you joining Massoc (Malaysia and Singapore Society) as they come across as more welcoming and active.

Chi soc is an anomaly though. The rest all allow everyone to join, regardless of race, gender, fee status or age. Getting involved with societies is a highlight of uni life, so don't let one bad apple out of over 300 put you off

Yeah, was planning to join that! Thank you for all your insight and info, it's very much appreciated! :smile:
Which accomodation locations have shared bathrooms?
Original post by OrangeFr3ak
Which accomodation locations have shared bathrooms?

In Endcliffe, Endcliffe Vale Flats, Crescent, Crewe and Stephenson halls all have shared bathrooms

There are no shared bathrooms in Ranmoor

Not 100% sure on city accommodation and can't check as the page seems to be down
In Endcliffe, Endcliffe Vale Flats, Crescent, Crewe and Stephenson halls all have shared bathrooms

There are no shared bathrooms in Ranmoor

Not 100% sure on city accommodation and can't check as the page seems to be down

Thanks! Are these single or mixed gender?
Original post by OrangeFr3ak
Thanks! Are these single or mixed gender?

I'm not sure, as I lived in an ensuite block and didn't have any friends in shared bathroom accommodation
I have Sheffield as my insurance so won't be able to apply for accommodation until after results day. Will there be any en suite rooms at endcliffe left by the time I apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending