The Student Room Group

Talking to girls on the street?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geolowiser
It really depends on your approach. If you say something like: "Hi, I'm Thomas" pay them a compliment based on something you like about them (not how attractive they are) and ask them whether they fancy getting a tea or coffee at some point this week.

The reason I said pay them a compliment is because it's a postive statement and a nice opener ir you use it correctly. Good things to compliment them on could be something they have clearly made an effort with, like if you notice that they have put together a really nice outfit that is something that obviously took a long time. If they have something like an instrument or portfolio with them you could mention that you noticed their portfolio and clearly they are a creative person which you think is cool so blah blah blah.

If you say something like "Hi, I'm Thomas, you're really pretty so I was wondering if..." that can come across a little odd to a lot of people as that implies you spoke to them 100% because of their looks, not because you thought they had a really cool look or found something interesting about them.

Won't work for all but might be much more effective than what it would be like if you were to come across as a creep who went out of his way to talk to a random girl on the street because her boobs looked good in that shirt...

ridicolous, you think girls don't know why a guy approaches them? Even if you say compliments they know the reason you're saying that. It's all about looks,if you're attractive you will get their attention even if you stay silent. If you're average or below you will only annoy them and get 'I'm not interested' or similar answer
Original post by IFoundWonderland
As someone who has been approached by men in the street on various occassions, I highly recommend that unless you have some sort of awesome charisma, you do not do this. It is creepy, inappropriate and borderline stalkerish if you then proceed to harass and follow the girl.

yeah that's what I said
Original post by loveleest
A lot of girls including me would probably find it slightly intimidating, but that could be because of shyness.
It would be great if more people were open to speaking to others; sadly I live in London and it's rare to be approached by a stranger on the streets because it's "abnormal"

Nah, London is the worst for it and the men are ****ing weird. A man approached me on Sunday and said he was attracted to me because my coat reminded him of an investigator?? He then proceeded to block me from leaving and kept asking me to go out with him.
Original post by RoyalMarine
It depends on how attractive you are. If you're 8/10 or above then girls will be interested in starting a conversation. But if you're just average or below then the girl has no reason to be interested in a guy she doesn't know,she certainly already knows lots of average guys. Be honest with yourself and on your looks.

I understand obviously and I'd say I'm average unfortunately to be honest and realistic. Obviously guys are more visual and focus on looks so I have no problem with girls doing, if I talk to a girl with a great personality I do find her more attractive though. But then again, I'm getting a degree in a great, high-paying field, I'm motivated, intelligent, confident with people I know well, I make people laugh every day so I compensate for you know, a lack of a defined jawline or a few inches on my height. If you're talking to a girl on the street and have like 30 seconds to make an impact I understand but we're just too shallow to see what's underneath people. Why should I not approach both really attractive girls and girls "on my level" because I wasn't born to look a certain way? Kinda went on a rant here about life, this is deep.
Nah, London is the worst for it and the men are ****ing weird. A man approached me on Sunday and said he was attracted to me because my coat reminded him of an investigator?? He then proceeded to block me from leaving and kept asking me to go out with him.

Don't live in London but if you don't stalk and you just ask confidently if you feel something after a short conversation/compliment, you get a yes you're happy you get a no you move on. I'm not weird and creepy.
I don't know. It's a bit odd to try to get a girl via walking down the street. A few days ago I noticed a guy staring at me from across the street so I carried on walking. But then he started to say hello to me. It came off weird and desperate so I ignored him. Maybe try to meet girls at a club or somewhere of a social setting.
I'm a girl and find it really attractive.
Original post by Anonymous
Don't live in London but if you don't stalk and you just ask confidently if you feel something after a short conversation/compliment, you get a yes you're happy you get a no you move on. I'm not weird and creepy.

I don't want to encourage strangers to talk to me in the street and I sure as hell won't give out my phone number to a random man after a two minute conversation. It's different at a party, bar or club if you talk for a substantial portion of the night, but a two minute conversation in the street? I don't think so.

There's some weirdo's here and there, I know.:laugh::lol:
But I am generally talking about friendly people who just want a chat. I'm not really talking about those freakish people :tongue:
I understand obviously and I'd say I'm average unfortunately to be honest and realistic. Obviously guys are more visual and focus on looks so I have no problem with girls doing, if I talk to a girl with a great personality I do find her more attractive though. But then again, I'm getting a degree in a great, high-paying field, I'm motivated, intelligent, confident with people I know well, I make people laugh every day so I compensate for you know, a lack of a defined jawline or a few inches on my height. If you're talking to a girl on the street and have like 30 seconds to make an impact I understand but we're just too shallow to see what's underneath people. Why should I not approach both really attractive girls and girls "on my level" because I wasn't born to look a certain way? Kinda went on a rant here about life, this is deep.

but you want to approach girls you don't know based on how attractive they are. Then why should they be less shallow than you. Then why aren't you interested in girls below your level of looks but that are intelligent and make people laugh. We're all about the same guys and girls, attractive ones have no reason to settle for less than they know they can get. Saying a compliment in the street won't change how society is.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't want to encourage strangers to talk to me in the street and I sure as hell won't give out my phone number to a random man after a two minute conversation. It's different at a party, bar or club if you talk for a substantial portion of the night, but a two minute conversation in the street? I don't think so.

Alright then, definitely understand the latter, but what about a conversation, just something that gets you more familiar then if you see them around again you speak a little bit more if it goes well? I want to speak to more people, I'm 17 so I don't go to bars, I wanna widen my circle and meet new people.
Original post by loveleest
There's some weirdo's here and there, I know.:laugh::lol:
But I am generally talking about friendly people who just want a chat. I'm not really talking about those freakish people :tongue:

Ahh, yes. I've never had a normal person approach me. Only pervs who attempt to follow me home; tell me what they want to do with my arse; tell me what kind of sexual awakening I need because I'm "too much of a prude" etc.
Original post by RoyalMarine
but you want to approach girls you don't know based on how attractive they are. Then why should they be less shallow than you. We're all about the same guys and girls, attractive ones have no reason to settle for less than they know they can get. Saying a compliment in the street won't change how society is.

I wouldn't always approach someone ridiculously attractive, just anyone that catches my eye. And you're not "settling" for less, someone less attractive maybe but if someone's interesting and makes you feel good and makes you laugh and you can have quality conversation with them even in a short space of time what's the problemmmmmmm
Ahh, yes. I've never had a normal person approach me. Only pervs who attempt to follow me home; tell me what they want to do with my arse; tell me what kind of sexual awakening I need because I'm "too much of a prude" etc.

ugh, I know...people can be so disgusting which is why I hate walking in the dark and which is why I always speed walk to get away from those kind of people :puke:
It's sexual harassment behavior which has been normalised by the patriarchy.
I wouldn't always approach someone ridiculously attractive, just anyone that catches my eye. And you're not "settling" for less, someone less attractive maybe but if someone's interesting and makes you feel good and makes you laugh and you can have quality conversation with them even in a short space of time what's the problemmmmmmm

what's the problem? Then do it yourself, talk with girls that aren't attractive but who make 'quality' conversations and make you feel good despite not being attractive. No problem right? lol
If you approach her in a respectable manner it is ok my friends do this all the time and are very charasmatic but average looking and they have had sex with some cute girls they met off the street.
You're an entitled creep if you're unsuccessful, but if you're charming and attractive it would be most welcome, I imagine.
Black guys are the masters in pulling a girl from the street make some black friends lol
I don't mind it, but then I do go up to strangers saying hellooo... so I'm probably not the norm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending