The Student Room Group

How should I prepare myself academically for University?

I haven't done core curriculum in about 3 years, I'm concerned about getting back into it.
Reply 1
Original post by similarBlank
I haven't done core curriculum in about 3 years, I'm concerned about getting back into it.

Probably read around the subject you're planning to do at university.
Reply 2

Probably a good thing. Uni is nothing like school and theschool core curriculum won't help you. You'll learn in a different way at uni.

My best advice is to take a break over the summer, relax and make sure that you're fresh for your uni start.

Hello :smile:

I'd suggest for one reading up about your course. Read about each year and the modules you'll be doing. Find out the reading list and start getting some reading in there - if you really want to, look for some past questions that have been used for assignments and do some practice ones. If you don't want to do full on assignments, practice the layout and style and what they need from you in an assignment. This kind of information can be acquired from the lecturer or the library usually or student services. Have a look at them and understand them and 'plan out' some assignments. Understand what you are studying and so on!

Good luck! :smile:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/preparing-for-uni Might be worth a try. It's aimed mainly at international students I think to help them prepare for uk style university study but it's likely to be useful for anyone about to head to university in the autumn - especially if you've been away from academic work for a while.

Quick Reply

Latest