The Student Room Group

Searching work experience

Good evening everyone ! (or probably afternoon or morning :curious:)

You have probably noticed my name from the beginning, so I think there is no need to introduce myself

Few words about my life:1. I am a student from Russia
2. I am passing IAL (physics, math and further math)
3. Have already passed AS and now want to apply to faculty of electrical and electronic engineering with management (predicted grades: A*AA )

Now, the key thing: While preparing personal statement (only started to do it), I have understood that some working experience are REALLY needed. Unfortunatelly, in Russia we do not have so many possibilities......

SO, if you are searching for an employe that is at least somehow linked with my speciality, I am ready to work FOR FREE just to get some experience (starting from middle of July and till the end of summer).

YES, FOR FREE Tried to be short, in order not to take a lot of your time If you have ANY questions or offers - write me a letter !REALLY WAITING

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Garik Fomenkov

You have probably noticed my name from the beginning, so I think there is no need to introduce myself

3. Have already passed AS and now want to apply to faculty of electrical and electronic engineering with management (predicted grades: A*AA )

Now, the key thing: While preparing personal statement (only started to do it), I have understood that some working experience are REALLY needed. Unfortunatelly, in Russia we do not have so many possibilities......

SO, if you are searching for an employe that is at least somehow linked with my speciality, I am ready to work FOR FREE just to get some experience (starting from middle of July and till the end of summer).

YES, FOR FREE Tried to be short, in order not to take a lot of your time If you have ANY questions or offers - write me a letter !REALLY WAITING

Is this for applying to Russian universities or British ones? Because for British ones, aside from certain vocational courses like medicine, work experience really isn't needed at all and is nothing to get worked up about.

Work experience is only needed for certain degrees; you do not need it for an engineering degree. Of course, it doesn't harm to get work experience so if you want to get it, I recommend emailing engineering departments in any local universities or relevant companies, explaining who you are and what you're looking for.
Original post by Smack
Is this for applying to Russian universities or British ones? Because for British ones, aside from certain vocational courses like medicine, work experience really isn't needed at all and is nothing to get worked up about.

Of course British ones)
I understand that it is not needed, but I really want to add it to my personal statement, so that chances to get to Imperial wil largerly increase
Original post by Plagioclase
Work experience is only needed for certain degrees; you do not need it for an engineering degree. Of course, it doesn't harm to get work experience so if you want to get it, I recommend emailing engineering departments in any local universities or relevant companies, explaining who you are and what you're looking
for.

Unfortunately, not so many opportunities I have hear, usually no one is intersted in such people as me 😔😔

I want this work experience for my personal statement to increase the chances of getting to Imperial

Could you suggest something for me in this case ?)
Of course British ones)
I understand that it is not needed, but I really want to add it to my personal statement, so that chances to get to Imperial wil largerly increase

Without qualifications you're not going to obtain work experience, because you need the qualifications to get the work. You might manage to shadow an engineer, but I have never heard of this making a difference to an application because for university they're interested in you being able to complete the course, hence why universities ask for specific grades for entry, and do not specify that you need prior experience.
Original post by Smack
Without qualifications you're not going to obtain work experience, because you need the qualifications to get the work. You might manage to shadow an engineer, but I have never heard of this making a difference to an application because for university they're interested in you being able to complete the course, hence why universities ask for specific grades for entry, and do not specify that you need prior experience.

Yes. I understand that all
But many students write about working experience in their personal statements !
And I also want to do so!
Perhaps working for some website would be a good option ?
I just need to find it
Unfortunately, not so many opportunities I have hear, usually no one is intersted in such people as me 😔😔

I want this work experience for my personal statement to increase the chances of getting to Imperial

Could you suggest something for me in this case ?)

I do not think that work experience will have any significant impact on your chance of getting into imperial, that will depend much more on your grades and your interview.

But many students write about working experience in their personal statements !

Given that very, very few will have any, I would be surprised if that was the case.

All that I am aware of is YINI. Some of the companies that I have worked at have taken on students to do a weeks' shadowing, but I'm not sure how this was arranged (possibly via a family connection). I'm not sure if companies are generally that interested in taking on people who don't have or are not currently taking any engineering qualifications because there isn't much for them to gain. Many companies will offer a year placement towards the middle of the degree as part of an integrated year-in-industry degree, or take on penultimate year students over the summer, but apart from YINI, I just haven't seen much at all when it comes to people who are still at school or college, I'm afraid.
(edited 7 years ago)
I do not think that work experience will have any significant impact on your chance of getting into imperial, that will depend much more on your grades and your interview.

Well, interview will mostly consist of questions about personal statement, in which wanted to say tips things 😂
Well, interview will mostly consist of questions about personal statement, in which wanted to say tips things 😂

No it won't, it will probably mostly be technical questions about your subject.
Original post by Smack
Given that very, very few will have any, I would be surprised if that was the case.

All that I am aware of is YINI. Some of the companies that I have worked at have taken on students to do a weeks' shadowing, but I'm not sure how this was arranged (possibly via a family connection). I'm not sure if companies are generally that interested in taking on people who don't have or are not currently taking any engineering qualifications because there isn't much for them to gain. Many companies will offer a year placement towards the middle of the degree as part of an integrated year-in-industry degree, or take on penultimate year students over the summer, but apart from YINI, I just haven't seen much at all when it comes to people who are still at school or college, I'm afraid.

Cool idea !!
But, once again, I live in Russia and do not have possibility to consider your advise 😔😔

I can give an example of what I am searching for: Physics and math tutor now wants to find students to help him

This is type of things I am ready to do
No it won't, it will probably mostly be technical questions about your subject.

Well, I have a friend, who applied to the same faculty as me, and during interview he was mostly asked about his personal statement and reasons for choosing this particular course
Well, I have a friend, who applied to the same faculty as me, and during interview he was mostly asked about his personal statement and reasons for choosing this particular course

Well all I can say is that this is contrary to most of what I've heard and it certainly wasn't what my interview was like. They are not expecting you to give a monologue about your life experiences.
Well all I can say is that this is contrary to most of what I've heard and it certainly wasn't what my interview was like. They are not expecting you to give a monologue about your life experiences.

And could you share your own experience ?
Where did you go ?
And could you share your own experience ?
Where did you go ?

I was interviewed by the Earth Sciences and Engineering department. It's almost two years now since my interview but there was a little bit of discussion about my motivations for going into the subject but the rest of it was an academic discussion, some of it inspired by the topics I had expressed an interest in on my personal statement, some of it from them.
I was interviewed by the Earth Sciences and Engineering department. It's almost two years now since my interview but there was a little bit of discussion about my motivations for going into the subject but the rest of it was an academic discussion, some of it inspired by the topics I had expressed an interest in on my personal statement, some of it from them.

Oh, I see
But still, rose questions were linked to your personal statement
Sorry, it is already too late !
Can you write me tomorrow ? Really want to hear your experience !
Oh, I see
But still, rose questions were linked to your personal statement
Sorry, it is already too late !
Can you write me tomorrow ? Really want to hear your experience !

Yes they were linked to my personal statement, but they weren't related to work experience. They were related to reading that I had done. I did do work experience but I didn't even mention that on my personal statement because I thought the reading was much more informative for them.
Yes they were linked to my personal statement, but they weren't related to work experience. They were related to reading that I had done. I did do work experience but I didn't even mention that on my personal statement because I thought the reading was much more informative for them.

Also planning to include some writing in the statement
Will they ask then shot it in particular details ?
Also planning to include some writing in the statement
Will they ask then shot it in particular details ?

Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending