The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Ask ALL of you accommodation questions here

Hi All :smile:

We are no longer regularly checking this thread. If you have any questions please email us on [email protected]

This post is now updated for 2017-18 entry

Don't forget you can check our post-history to see if we've answered the same question before. Hover over our name <-------thataway and click on 'Find latest posts by University of Brighton'

Here's LOADS of info and links which might help answer some of your questions so you won't need to wait for a response.

Accommodation is only open to students who have made us their firm choice, so if we're your insurance choice, we'll be giving you support, advice & info on finding accommodation in the private sector.

After you have firmed your offer, we will send you an email inviting you to apply for accommodation. It can take a few days for all of the databases to communicate the refreshed information and the emails are sent once a week so don't panic if you don't get something through for a week or so after you firm-up with UCAS!

There is no advantage to applying early because we use a random allocations process. As long as you apply by the deadline (15th July 2017) your application will be considered. You are no more likely to get accommodation or any of your preferences based on the date of your application.

If halls isn't your thing, or you don't get into halls we provide lots of help with finding accommodation in the private sector, we have a facebook group, studenthomes website where landlords advertise properties and we run househunting events in the summer. You can get useful info about househunting in our guide and our friendly Accommodation Team are here to help.

You can find more info on our website including our allocations policy, which describes how we allocate our University Accommodation including special groups like students with disabilities or under 18s.

Brighton & Eastbourne

The cost of our halls varies depending on town, site and facilities. Some rooms are en-suite, some have shared bathrooms. Some are catered and some are self-catered. All of these things are considered in the rent costs so that's why our prices vary. You can get the information about each hall at the links above.

Our EAT IN scheme , provides breakfast and an evening meal to residents in catered halls from Monday to Friday during term time. The cost of meals is included in your rent, providing a convenient and good-value alternative to self-catered accommodation.

The menu is healthy, varied and suitable for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians. If you have any other dietary requirements, please contact us so we can discuss your individual needs with you.

Travelling around Brighton is really easy. The local train company has a cheap ticket for students in Brighton and Eastbourne. The normal service buses run 24 hours a day around Brighton and they do cheap student tickets too.

Eastbourne campus is about a mile from the town centre, which makes it around a 20 minute walk from the train station. There are regular buses too. You find out more info on the Stagecoach website.

Phew. This is quite the epic post but hopefully it will answer some of the more common questions. If you've got any others -drop us an email [email protected]

Accommodation Team :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is it possible to get Great Wilkins on a 39 week contract?
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Hi AlteredBoy

Great Wilkins is only offered on a 50-week contract I'm afraid. We need to provide long contracts for some of our longer courses and for those students who will be staying in Brighton year-round. Some students choose 50-week contracts and then try to find someone to take over the end of their contract when they leave. However, this is a bit of a risky strategy since you will still be signed up to a contract and will be liable for the rent if you don't manage to find someone else. There are lots of other 39-week options for you to choose, so hopefully you will find something suitable :smile:

Thanks
Accommodation Team

Original post by AlteredBoy
Is it possible to get Great Wilkins on a 39 week contract?
Reply 3
Hi, I'm wondering if all of the rooms in the halls get their own bathrooms?

And also, I've just applied for the halls. Is there anything else I need to do like make a contract with the University in regards to the halls, like a deposit or anything?
Hi

Not all of our halls have en-suite bathrooms. You can find out which of them do at the following links

Brighton, Eastbourne, Hastings

If you have already applied, you will hear from us in August about whether your application was successful and which hall you have been allocated to. At that point you will need to accept the offer which involves signing the contract and making a payment of the first 28 day's rent. This is not a deposit, it is an advanced payment of rent but it acts to secure your accommodation.

Thanks
Accommodation Team

Original post by mdeery94
Hi, I'm wondering if all of the rooms in the halls get their own bathrooms?

And also, I've just applied for the halls. Is there anything else I need to do like make a contract with the University in regards to the halls, like a deposit or anything?
I received my offer yesterday, when will I be able to apply for accommodation?
Please email [email protected] with your question and your student number and/or full name. If we have your details, we will be able to give you the correct information, otherwise I would just be giving you an estimate!

Thanks
Accommodation Team

Original post by AuntKathy
I received my offer yesterday, when will I be able to apply for accommodation?
If I get into self-catered accommodation, can I still use the on site restaurants and pay for individual meals as needed?
Hi,

You can buy meals and refreshments at any of our outlets on all campuses. You will get a 10% discount on every purchase when you pay with your student card. For more information, visit the Hospitality Services website.

Thanks
Accommodation Team

Original post by JoeBlow96
If I get into self-catered accommodation, can I still use the on site restaurants and pay for individual meals as needed?
Reply 9
Hi I have epilepsy (a different type) however lights do not affect me in any way. Would me having epilepsy put my accommodation for the halls at risk? Because I would like to be in the halls regardless of my medical condition.t
Hi,

Your condition should have no effect on your ability to live in university accommodation. You can actually be guaranteed halls accommodation if you submit supporting evidence before the application deadline. The supporting evidence must be a letter which fully explains your condition. It needs to be written in English by a certified medical practitioner. This letter must explain how this condition affects the way you live and why your condition is best supported in a hall of residence. For more information, please read our allocation policy.

Thanks
Accommodation Team

Hi I have epilepsy (a different type) however lights do not affect me in any way. Would me having epilepsy put my accommodation for the halls at risk? Because I would like to be in the halls regardless of my medical condition.t
which campus, varley park, grand parade or falmer is closest to mouselcoomb?
QUOTE=University of Brighton;66211829]Hi, you mentioned a deadline. I have not submitted my medical evidence request form or my DSA form yet, is it too late to do this, have I missed the deadline? and if not, can you please tell me when that deadline is?
Moulsecoomb campus is around 1.5 miles from Varley Park, 1.5 miles from Grand
Parade and 2.5 miles to Falmer

Original post by lucinda12356
which campus, varley park, grand parade or falmer is closest to mouselcoomb?
Hi the application deadline is 16th July. Please ensure that you have submitted all of your supporting documents by the deadline :smile:

QUOTE=University of Brighton;66211829]Hi, you mentioned a deadline. I have not submitted my medical evidence request form or my DSA form yet, is it too late to do this, have I missed the deadline? and if not, can you please tell me when that deadline is?
I applied for accomodation a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything back...I'm starting to get a little worried that I won't have anywhere to live :'(
Hi,

If you hold an unconditional offer, you are likely to hear back around the end of July / early August. Otherwise, you will hear back around mid-August.

Don't worry if you don't get a room in halls! We will help you search for accommodation in the private sector :smile:

Thanks
Accommodation Team

Original post by rowanneeee
I applied for accomodation a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything back...I'm starting to get a little worried that I won't have anywhere to live :'(
Hi, I've applied for DSA, I have received two forms to fill out. This includes the medical evidence record which my doctor has also filled out his part, and the DSA form that I filled out. I have both forms filled out. Can I now send it away?
Hi, The Accommodation Team can't help you with funding enquiries. For info about DSA you should contact our disability and dyslexia team on
[email protected] Thanks :smile:

Hi, I've applied for DSA, I have received two forms to fill out. This includes the medical evidence record which my doctor has also filled out his part, and the DSA form that I filled out. I have both forms filled out. Can I now send it away?
Hi
I have an unconditional offer to study medicine at BSMS. Medical student get to choose between lewes court or paddock fields. I have filled in the online application form and chose paddock fields as my first choice.

I haven't heard anything back yet. When will I be able to hear back from the accomodation office?
How likely am I to get my first choice?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending